Star Trek: The Next Generation

We'll Always Have Paris

Aired Unknown May 02, 1988 on CBS

• Another forgettable episode - but not necessarily a bad one....

Picard meets an old flame with a scientist husband who has gone too far in "We'll Always Have Paris" - the former makes Dr. Crusher jealous and the latter makes Data have to save the day. Data's role in saving the day is good but the storyline regarding Picard & his ex-woman Jenice is a huge bore. Any extra depth for the character of Jean-Luc Picard is always welcome but, while Picard is given some depth to a slight degree in this episode, the story is mainly boring and borrows from "Casablanca" too much. The rest of the episode is easily forgettable minus one scene near the end in which Data tackles the show's MacGuffin.
  • Captain Picard is reunited with a former love when the Enterprise investigates a research outpost that is causing a series of time distortions.

This is a somewhat surreal episode of TNG that has some shades of the future TV show "Lost". However, most of the episode is dull and not very memorable. As the title implies, "We'll Always Have Paris" is supposed to be reminiscent of "Casablanca", but that's not really a style that Star Trek does very well. Michelle Phillips, the last surviving member of the 1960s group "The Mamas and the Papas", guest stars as Picard's old love interest, and she's okay, but there's not much chemistry between the two. The most interesting thing about the episode is the time anomaly, an abstract idea that the writers would deal with more effectively in future episodes.
  • A decent Episode with no real strengths, but no real weaknesses.

The real key to this episode is that it dosen't do anything wrong, and throws an intresting problem into the path of the enterprise D's crew that's nowhere near as simple to solve as a bit of random technobable, instead they know from day one pretty much what they have to do to fix everything. This episode instead deals with the how of the execution of the solution, and a the ongoing effects of the problem. All of that though is held together by the simple fact that the episode dosen't do anything badly wrong. It dosen't do much absolutly brilliantly, but it dosen't get anything wrong eithier, a real rarity in any TV show, TNG included.

The best bits as allways revolve around Picard and his past, but Data get's a chance to shine as well, and all the actors play some part, there's never a feeling that any of the regulars is a simple "extra" in this episode, which helps furthar enhance the enjoyability fo the episode, regardless of who you like best theres somthing here for everyone.

Be warned however, if your a trek fan who finds the inherent illogic of all time travel/time malfunction style episodes annoying, this isn't an episode for you, if you love that kind of thing, you'll love this episode, and it was that fact that prompted me to bump this from a 7 to an 8
  • Insight into Picard's past

7.6
    I actually liked this episode. As I do any episode that shows insight into a characters past. Alot of the nuances of the past situation between Picard and Michelle Phillips character Jenice.

The time loop effect plot is a great platform that allows the limited action scenes to be played out in. The resolution by Data at the end is probably the best scene in the episode and is worth watching for the effects and his creative acting.

The Picard subplot actual has a fairly good char. arc and ends amicably, allowing Picard to close a chapter in his life. Through this will get to see the qualities that his crew admire in him.

A decent episode with an intriguing look at the captains past.
  • The best thing that can be said for this episode is that it adds a little color to Picard's character. The problem is that we have to sit through a lot of boredom to get that little color.

The best parts of this episode center around Picard and his reaction when an old flame walks back into his life -- married to another man. The sequence when they meet and discuss a broken rendezvouz in the conference room is especially poignant.

The old flame herself is a cipher -- there is nothing special about her character and she never shows more than a hint of very mild regret about what might have been. And her second relationship, with a husband who doesn't give her nearly the attention she deserves, is completely deserved. The materials chose to ignore this fertile ground and it greatly weakens the episode's impact.

That said, nothing offensively bad here.
  • Dull.

'We'll Always Have Paris' isn't a bad episode, but neither is it an especially good one. It's main problem is a propensity toward dullness...

This is the first of TNG's dreaded 'romance' episodes, which more often than not fall utterly flat on their faces. Picard's relationship with Jenice may have worked on paper, but something just didn't translate to the screen...Casablanca this ain't. Leslie Philips is miscast as Jenice and seems to approach the role as if this was some kind of glossy soap opera. The chemistry with Patrick Stewart simply isn't there. Their scenes are dull and plodding and devoid of any spark. Like so many Trek romances, it's simply unemotional and unconvincing. Oh, and the holodeck scenes - rather than being romantic, simplu draaag...

The time distortion subplot started off very interestingly and the episode had a genuinely creepy and unsettling feel to it, with some neat directing and eerie music. Sadly, the promise is spoilt by an anti-climax in which the problem is resolved in an unsatisfactorily simplistic manner.

Overall, this is a disappointment.
  • Another Recommended Episode......

We get to know more about Picard's past, and we get to see a bunch of time loops and some are funny, like when Data and Picard and Riker step into the Turbolift, twice; and then in the end there are THREE Datas, and they all try to stop the problem form getting any worse. This episode is so good, that it is one of several episodes that has a story that might be used in another show or something. And Beverly once again seems to have empathic powers, and this time Deanna Troi points that out. This episode also has great music, and I like this episode because it is one of the best.....
  • The "Enterprise" experiences a time distortion throughout the whole ship. They here a distress call. Picard has a feeling it is a time scientist called Dr. Paul Manhiem . The "Enterpise" reaches the location of the distress call. To find out it is indeed

This is a interesting episode in which the "Enterprise" crew experience a time loop distortion. Answering a distress call from Vandor IV. Dr. Manhiem and his wife Jenice. Dr Manhiem is suffering but Dr Crusher can't figure out what it is. Despite his condition Dr Manhiem is able to speak somewhat. Dr Manhiem admits he is doing some time experiments and has touched another dimension. Picard beams Data down to Vandor IV. While in Dr Manhiem's Lab Data finds a time portal and stops the portal with antimatter. This will be a SciFi classic I give it a 8.1 rating
  • Picard gets his spotlight again.

Picard goes through a strange moment when time reversed 3 seconds back and continued. After the occurance, the crew gets a distress signal from Vanfor IV, where Dr. Paul Manheim has been conducting experiments in non-linear time. Picard remembers that Dr. Manheim is the husband of his old love, Jenice.

I don't know what the fuss is all about, but I enjoyed this episode. We got to learn more of Picard's past with Jenice, there was an interesting sub-plot about time collapsing, coming all together like the scene with Data and all the other Datas from a certain point of time. I thought Patrick and Michelle had some chemistry, they woudn't work out together but they could briefly like we saw here and that they had their final moment to have a better farewell. Nice continuity with Beverly acting slightly jealous of Jenice, it's too bad the Bev & Picard moments would never be around much after this season, a shame. I really don't know why people didn't like this one, I mean there were plenty of episodes this season that looked pale to this one, but that's just me. I recommend it if you like another Picard trip.

I give this episode 4 stars out of 5. (8.0 on TV.com)
  • To say the least, pathetic.

2.5
    Okay, I take my Next Generation episodes really seriously. So when something as dumb as this comes out, I feel like shooting myself in the head. *sigh* ...

To be honest, I can't remember much of this episode now. I just have a problem with it for a few reasons:

There was very little about the storyline that you could say, "Oh, wow!" too. I remember, that when I watched this episode, all I could think of was waiting for the episode to end. It seemed like the only reason why they made this episode was to show that Capt. Picard once had a love life before he took to his career. Also, that Beverly was in love with him (surprise).

Oh, did I mention how creepy that holographic program was? They have a complete record of where certain people are, and exactly WHEN they were there? Not to mention how they were feeling at the time ... CREEPY!!! I don't want a future with 24 hour surveillance directed at me and every other person on the planet, thanks anyway.

Painful, painful, painful. Avoid at all costs.