Star Trek: The Next Generation

Yesterday's Enterprise

Aired Unknown Feb 19, 1990 on CBS

• One of Star Trek's best

This Yar/Guinan episode uses a sci fi plot device somewhat reminiscent of "Mirror, Mirror", but more subtle, in depth, and powerful. The beauty of the episode is that it has such a good hook, it could coast off it for 20 minutes, but instead, the story punches forward with mounting tension, some great character development, and a unique moral dilemma. It's time travel used by the writers for a purpose, with broad universal implications and intimate, personal consequences, as opposed to being just another plot device. And there's a cinematic quality to everything (in some ways foreshadowing the eleventh Star Trek film) that makes "Yesterday's Enterprise" seem bigger than it really is. One of Star Trek's best.

• One of the bests of Trek - easily a (if not THE) TNG favorite of mine....

"Yesterday's Enterprise" is easily one of the best episodes to appear in any of the Star Trek series' 5 shows and if it is not my absolute favorite TNG episode it is surely one of my very favorites. Directed by David Carson (who would go on to direct the Star Trek film "Generations" does an excellent job forming this thoughtful, thrilling, and stylish episode. It's really everything you could want in a Star Trek episode: action, depth of characters, great acting, striking photography, and thoughtful themes - "Yesterday's Enterprise" is one of those Trek productions that has the viewer fall in love with the Star Trek universe all over again after each viewing.
  • Past enterprise enters a time-rift and alters the present. With a unique insight only Guinan can provide, the Captain realizes the only way to set things right is to return the ship and its crew, to what will surely be its demise.

Brilliantly conceived and executed. One gripe...why was Wesley part of the alternative Enterprise crew? Certainly he belonged on the real Enterprise (a ship of peace, with families)...but a ship at war? A teenage acting ensign? How did this get past the writers? Perhaps they could have explained his presence in other ways (hitching a ride with Mom, or something like that). But to place him in the pilot seat when he hasn't even gone through the Academy implies he's been part of the crew since the beginning. The writers obviously realized Worf couldn't be part of the alternative enterprise crew...same could have been said of Wesley. In fact, all Sci Fi dealing with alternative universes tend to ignore the law of average that specific circumstances tend to bring people together. So to believe that the same set of circumstances that brought the real Enterprise crew together would do the same in the alternative universe requires a complete suspension of belief. The episode would have been even more believable with some alternative characters.

Otherwise, a fun episode with a unique twist on the old time-travel plot line. And nice to see Whoopie Goldberg's character explored in more depth...writers left just enough ambiguity to keep people interested as we learned more about her race in future episodes.
  • Very cool styling in the alternate reality!

I loved how Data's voice was a bit deeper in the alternate reality. It was nice seeing Tasha Yar, again. I am glad she got a more honorable send off in this episode. Even though I like Beverly much better, it would have been neat to see Dr. Pulaski in the alternate reality. Something else that could have been cool is if Worf was one of the Klingon enemies. I guess that wouldn't have worked out well, considering his human upbringing. It was kind of weird how Guinan was the only one who realized what was going on. I guess someone had to. I really liked the alternate reality uniforms and bridge.
  • A classic episode, with a certain cinematic grandeur.

Perhaps due to the hype surrounding this episode, it's never been one of my very favorites. But there is no doubt that it is a very strong one and among the highlights of the third season. One of the other reviewers is right on – the gritty, militaristic style of the episode clearly anticipates DS9.

Like "The Best of Both Worlds", "Yesterday's Enterprise" plays more like a movie than a TV show episode. This has at least one drawback – the Tasha Yar romance may be appropriately cinematic, but it's not that interesting. And while it's kind of interesting plotwise to have Tasha back, it also reminds us why we never missed Denise Crosby in the first place.

Her return notwithstanding, it's really Whoopi Goldberg that carries this episode. Watching her performances in the third season, you can't help thinking how fortunate the producers were to put her in this role. There are also several good Patrick Stewart moments.

The teaser is noteworthy for both introducing Worf to prune juice and for featuring one of his few true laughs during the TNG and DS9 runs.

Along with the next two episodes ("The Offspring" and "Sins of the Father"), "Yesterday's Enterprise" forms part of the strongest stretch of the solid third season.
  • Just the premise itself makes you want to watch this episode. You won't be disappointed

The Enterprise C presumed missing 20 years ago comes through an anomaly in space changing the current timeline where the federation is at war and Tasha Yar is still alive. Only Guinan senses that everything feels wrong.

The solution is simple, send the Enterprise C back through the anomaly but it's the alternate timeline itself that is the most interesting and impressive part of this episode. Tasha Yar being alive and each character being slightly different (Picard in particular is a little more aggressive) as well as the change to a smaller and less cosy cosy looking bridge make the changes seem more real. The portrayal of war is against the Klingons this time and the federation is in fact losing although it is a closely kept secret. Minor little details like this that make it good. Without doubt my most favourite star trek series is DS9 and this feels like a precursor in terms of tone to the war with the Klingons and the Dominion. Even the way people act with a more aggressive military manner - I liked Riker not having his own seat on the bridge as well, it had him perched behind Picard almost in a position of influence to talk in his ear. Seeing Tasha Yar again was very interesting. Guinan telling her that she sensed she had suffered a hollow death in the proper timeline was a great way to put it. This sort of gives her a reprieve to go out with a bang rather than her original death which just suddenly happened without purpose. I'm glad they did this for her. It's interesting to note that the Enterprise C on return to the past will not be saved, something made pretty clear. It was obviously destroyed and so they go back knowing that they are a sacrifice to correct the catastrophe that is the alternative timeline. That is quite a moral decision to make.

So all in all one of the best episodes of TNG ever and a must watch. Nice little touch with Guinan talking to Geordie at the end as well.
  • the enterprise comes into contact with a wormhole that changes everything including the return of tasha yar.

guinenn and woff are sitting and having a drink when they look out the window and see a wormhole. worf goes back to the brigde. when they enter the whole the bridge changes and so do the crew and worf is no longer on there. instead the late tasta yar is there and the bridge and there unifoms are different. on the other side of the wormwhole is the enterprise c. ginnuin comes onto the brigde to tell picard thats somethings wrong. that the ship isn't meant to be hear and that tasha was killed on a away mission. tasha confronts ginnuin and she tells her the truth. she deciceds to go with the other ship throw the time line. then things go back to normal. ginnuin sits in the bar and ask geordi about who was tasha yar. tell me about her.
  • Enterprise C shows up for a surprise visit... Wackiness ensues!!!

While I'm not a big TNG fan, after watching Enterprise series, I got interested in the history of the starship Enterprise in its various incarnations... I liked the rare (only) appearance of the crew of Enterprise-C... but i never liked Whoopie's character on TNG... I always felt she was over-used as a plot device and this episode is a prime example of that... not to mention that some possible strategies that could have been used to get the same effect, weren't discussed...
    I mean couldn't the surviving crew of the C stayed aboard D and locked the helm of C to go back into the rift with out them getting slaughtered by the Romulans? I mean the ship would have still been blown-up in defense of the Klingons with out risk to the 100+ survivors... and if a body count was needed by Star Fleet, there were already like 300 bodies aboard the C while the rest of the crew would have been assumed to be lost in space, or dematerialized due to reactor break or sumpn... but they don't even consider this possibility...
  • Rated as one of the Top 5 fan favorite episodes when TNG went off the air in 1994.

This episode was rated as one of the 5 most popular (along with Relics, The Inner Light, and Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2)in the series history during a special remembering TNG shortly before the airing of the final episode. It pretty much is a fine example of everything fans love about the show: action, alternate timelines, etc. At least, I for sure know that most of the alternate timeline episodes in all the Trek series\' were some of my favorites (Mirror, Mirror definately my fav in TOS)

With the reappearance of Denise Crosby in this episode as Tasha Yar, it made me wonder if she ever regretted wanting to leave the series. I mean sure, her character did not seem to be getting as developed as the others did, and like most series the first season was rather slow in comparison to later seasons, but it is just interesting considering the huge following TNG ended up having in the end.

This was definately one of my favorites of the series, and carries a good message with it too. That message being just how dramatically our lives and society could have been different if something that occured in the past happend differently than it did. One single event could mean the difference between life & death, war or peace, victory or defeat.
  • This episode is a perfect example of a alternate time line theory. The "Enterprise NCC 1701-C" enters a temporal time rift and is now in the future. The "Enterprise NCC 1701-D is now a federation battleship because of the ship from the past entering the f

This episode is a perfect example of a alternate time line theory. The "Enterprise NCC 1701-C" enters a temporal time rift and is now in the future. The "Enterprise NCC 1701-D is now a federation battleship because of the ship from the past entering the future. The odd thing is instead of seeing Lt Worf at tactical we see Lt. Yar. In the alternate time line her death caused by Armus (the tar like creature) did not occur. The lesson we learn from this episode is not to alter time, results can be deadly. I rate this one a 10.0
  • enterprise ,enterprise, enterprise

I think this episode is one of the greats of the entire star trek series it provides 45 minutes of action romance and even some tear jearking moments in there i think this episode was one where people stopped to take notice of the wonderful series for me the most powerful moment of this episode is seeing commander Riker's Death and then picard jumps up to the tactical station and says "that will be the day".
    But it was great to see Yar back at the tactical station at the begining of the episode.If you like this episode then i suggest you see star trek enterprise E2 that was the same type of episode