Star Trek: Voyager

Blink Of An Eye

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 19, 2000 on UPN

• It's an episode more befitting the late, great Arthur C. Clarke; a wonderfully imagined and meticulously detailed plot involving two timelines that exist at completely different speeds, and how they come to interact.

Of all the episodes in Voyager, this one deserves its own book or even an ambitious movie. It's a tricky subject with tricky logistical problems, and the writers handle it masterfully. I would have liked to see the man from the planet actually become a sideline character on Voyager, but the ending was just as poetic. The idea of a "ship in the sky" that has always existed for as long as humanity can remember, but has never been contacted, is something like a fantasy novel set in a sci-fi series. My only wish is that we'd been allowed to glimpse the doctor's foray onto the planet and see what his son looked like. But that's something that would be better in a novel or film based on this episode, and on that note they could redo parts of the plot to provide more interactions between the crew and the planet citizens. Since this likely won't happen, I'll conclude that this episode is as near-perfect as they come for a sci-fi series. No "crazy aliens." No Borg. No spirits taking over crew members. No silly romances. Just a truly original and imaginitive idea, fully realized.