Star Trek: Voyager

Cold Fire

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 1995 on UPN

• Left me feeling cold. I think this has got to be the dullest episode of Star Trek from any of the series.

For starters it was about Kes who lets be honest was an absolutely pointless character she was ill conceived and never developed before the writers finally realised this and thankfully got rid of her. That may sound harsh but can anybody seriously tell me Voyager would have been worse if she\'d never been there. As for the good episode focusing on her character, Before and After that could easily have been told using any of the other characters, and the other episodes that centred on her character such as Warlord well that one was just an alright even though it was incredibly predictable

As for Fury her comeback episode well that was an interesting idea but poorly executed and could also have been written differently to put any of the other characters in Kes\' position anyway or just never have been written but so what it was good but not that good an episode.

As to the review of this episode, it actually bored me, which is something I never believed, would happen watching Star Trek. The training of Kes by Tuvok amounted to her boiling a cup of coffee with bad dialogue and the search for the female caretaker was seriously flawed, as the writers didn\'t seem to know how to handle her whether to make her a serious threat or a kind of Q like alien who\'d toy with the crew probably no wonder then she was never seen again nor if I remember rightly even mentioned again. Were their any good points the performances from Jennifer Lien Tim Russ were good Robert Picardo was as good as ever and Gary Graham was good kind of a forerunner to the rude and arrogant Soval he\'d later play on Enterprise, all in spite of the script not as it should be because of it. In fairness I have to say Lien was unlucky to get saddled with such a useless character and I thought she did at least always try to play her well this episode and her character in particular kind of sum up everything about Voyager, which I\'ll admit is my least favourite of all the Trek shows, it was a rough idea that had very little thought put into it and was overall poorly executed a shame really.