Star Trek: Voyager

Deadlock

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 18, 1996 on UPN

• Deadlock

Deadlock was a perfect episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this action packed suspenseful episode because it had Captain Janeway dealing with another version of herself when Voyager finds itself in a Spacial Scission. This was an intense episode with many twists and dramatic turns. Ensign Wildman had her baby during all the commotion and this lead to an interesting turn of events. The Vidiians attack Voyager during all this and the other Captain Janeway makes a fateful decision. Just another day on Voyager! I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!!!!!

• Great episode… Very worth watching.

In a season of mostly "clunker" episodes, this one stands out as one of the best of the series. Coming out of a plasma cloud, where they were attempting to hide from the Vidiians, Voyager is duplicated in the same space/time. However, only matter has been duplicated. The two Voyagers continue to share the same anti-matter and are draining that from each other. The action is spectacular from start to finish. The intensity and stakes are constantly rising throughout the episode. The science fiction is great. The characterization is suburb. We have two Janeways, each committed to the crew of her own Voyager but each realizing that the duplicate crews are equally important.

One ship is severely damaged. The other has escaped damage. Efforts to re-merge the two ships are unsuccessful. Both Janeways are inclined to sacrifice the more damaged duplicate so that the stronger can survive. A true Siamese twin dilemma. That is, until the Vidiians attack and board the lesser damaged ship (whose weapons are offline). The prospect of being captured and having their organs harvested by the Vidiians is not acceptable. Thus, the Janeway on the lesser damaged ship orders its destruction which also destroys the Vidiian ship. However, before destroying her ship, Janeway told Harry to take a newly born baby (both Harry and the baby did not survive on the highly damaged ship) through a riff between the two ships and thus create at least one full complement of a Voyager crew. The second, highly damaged Voyager, survives.

This is simply a great episode. You can't ask for more intensity or balance between plot and character. If you ever compile a list of best episodes to watch from the Voyager series, pick this one as part of the group.
  • The Best episode of the series to date. Actually manages to keep you surprised throughout.

This is a really entertaining episode. After the whole 'multiple voyager' thing became clear, I was sure the severely damaged ship would either have to merge back with the other one, or eventually be destroyed. It was a definite surprise when it was the last ship standing, although I really felt like they glossed over the obvious massive damage the ship took at the beginning. It seemed that Voyager was almost completely destroyed, but then was up and running in a couple days - tough to do with limited crew, supplies and a hole in the hull. Nice to see the series finally picking up some steam.
  • I could of sworn Hideo Kojimo wrote it, because the plot twists in this were amazing.

I just got done watching this off my DVR. and wow this episode is currently my favorite of all time on Voyager. Voyager has always been an underrated Star Trek series IMO, due to how the original series, and the amazing Next Generation, followed by Deep Space Nine. but in this episode.. lets cut to the chase.

Voyager tries to hide itself from the enemy, and in the process, they get caught in a dimensional flux. Which causes 2 Voyagers, and each action affects each other. and the twists in this were like a short movie, it was just beautiful, and shocking, and the ending was the most shocking of the episode by far IMO.

If you love Star Trek, or never given Voyager a chance, watch this episode, i might not be good at reviewing things. but this is one you just need to see to believe.
  • It seems as if the “Voyager” is in the heart of Vidiian space. The “Voyager” hides in a plasma cloud to hide from Vidiian. The “Voyager” emerges from the cloud. Now the ship is powerless due to a drain of antimatter. The ships power is failing.

It seems as if the “Voyager” is in the heart of Vidiian space. The “Voyager” hides in a plasma cloud to hide from Vidiian. The “Voyager” emerges from the cloud. Now the ship is powerless due to a drain of antimatter. The ships power is failing. Torres has a plan to help stop the power drain, by inducing proton bursts through the deflector grid. Before she can thinks about doing this, proton burst are hitting the ship. Janeway tries to save the ship, but the bridge is badly damaged. Now the bridge is okay. What just happened?
  • A truly amazing episode, a great story that keeps you constantly thinking and is a lot of fun to watch.

This episode is truly far out. The story makes you think and at the same time people will have major problems with it. When the crew duplicates, each double begins to think independently of their double, creating 2 very separate beings with the same background. The scenes with 2 Janeways are classic. Because they are 2 different Janeways with the same background they brainstorm and think independently to figure out the best course of action for the ship. A truly mind boggling storyline with plenty of revelations for the audience and a lot of doubt until you think through what is going on.

Many people will have issues with what happens in this episode but I think they don’t understand it fully if they still have those problems after watching and absorbing this episode. It defiantly stands out as one of the best episodes of Season 2. But before you think too much about this episode and what just happened, Janeway reminds us that the show must go on in this clever and classic dialogue:

Janeway: “It’s good to have you back Ensign.”
    Kim: “Thank you, … I think.”
    Janeway: “Something wrong?”
    Kim: “I’m not sure. I mean this isn’t really my ship.
    And your not really my captain and yet you are
    and there is no difference, and I know there is no difference, or is there. It’s all a little weird.”
    Janeway: “Mr Kim, we’re Star Fleet Officers, Weird is part of the job.”
  • An accident duplicates Voyager and leads to some difficult decisions, and, Star Trek wise, a counterintuitive result.

Strange situations are the staple of 'Voyager', and a typicaly strange situation befalls Voyager when the ship is duplicated in the same location in space while passing through a plasma cloud. The two Voyagers are separate except for their power source, and before they figure out what is going on, one Voyager seriously damages the other as it initially tries to remedy the situation. The twist at the end may not be fully appreciated by anyone who hasn't watched a lot of Star Trek - plot twists are not very common on "Voyager", and it is refreshing to see them. This was a solid, creative episode, and unlike many episodes, this one had a very good, and uncharacteristicaly unpredictable plot and wrap up at the end. Although Voyager is probably my least favorite series out of the past 18 or so years of Star Trek, I look forward to more episodes of this quality, because it is stand alone episodes like that that needs to establish 'Voyager' as a unique and interesting series.
  • During the birth of Samantha Wildman's child, the crew takes Voyager intoa plasma drift to avoid being detected by the Vidiians and the ship inexplicably takes massive damage.

7.9
    Okay, so as many bad things as I am going to have to say about his episode, even I have to admit it got my heart pumping with excitement, especially before we cut to the undamaged Voyager during Act II. If you're looking for an interesting story, some great special effects, than this is the episode for you. However, the original concept seems pretty silly to me, and it also sounds like just an excuse to kill off the entire crew, and still have everything back to normal by the end of the episode without resorting to time travel. Wildman's baby was finally born, and we get to see an interesting futuristic labor procedure. The greatest scene, however, is the confrontation between Janeway and Janeway: each is willing to sacrifice herself and her crew to save the other. Albeit the scientific goofs (as mentioned above), I also have a problem with the Vidiians in this episode. In all their other appearences, they did not seem like a heartless "evil" race, they were a great Star Trek villain: doing what they needed to do to survive. The ruthlessness and sheer violence they exhibit in this episode reduced them to just plain and simple "bad guys", which you can have on any other series, but please, please, not on Star Trek.