Star Trek: Voyager

Death Wish

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 19, 1996 on UPN

• LAME

First of all, I don't like the Q in any of the Star Trek series. They're more magic/fantasy as opposed to science fiction/technology. Think "I Dream of Jeannie" or "Bewitched." In this episode, a Q has been imprisoned because he wants to use his "powers" to kill himself. (Sort of like can God make a rock too big for him to lift and we've got a guy who is about to try it). This sets off an episode based on one central premise: "Immortality is boring and what's a bored immortal to do about it..." Ho-hum for us mortals. Like we could care less. We get a lot of talking heads sitting around talking about life, mortality, and essentially continually restating the obvious.

To prove boredom, we visit a "representation" of the Continuum which is a way station (complete with mid-20th Century utility poles) and several people sitting around with nothing to do and nowhere to go. I'm sure someone thought this might be cute at the time but we don't need representations to prove boredom. We easily understand it. They could have just showed clips of this episode, for example.

Then, there is the horridly staged "journey in a comet." There's a small window for us the viewer to look in as Janeway experiences Q-Quinn's confinement. I thought the set was right out of the second season of Lost in Space. Totally cheesy. They could have done a much better job considering their series' budget.

However, the ultimate disappoint was what I felt was a total lack of the usual quick wit John de Lancie brought to the original SNG role. Like I said, I never liked the Q stories but at least his dialogue was entertaining. Here it's forced, as if the writers never bothered to review SNG episodes to get it right. A future episode will correct this problem but in this episode I found the character totally unlikeable and boring. Finally, let's talk about goals. In "Voyager," we have Janeway chasing around the Delta Quadrant looking for a quick way home. We've always had the impression she'd beg, borrow, or steal whatever is necessary to get her crew home. So, when offered a way home by the magical Q why doesn't she go for it? Or, make some other sort of deal with Q? That puts everything into the mindset of Major Nelson (I Dream of Jeannie) or Darrin Stephens (Bewitched). How can you believably turn down "magical gifts?"