Star Trek: Voyager

Distant Origin

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 1997 on UPN

• A little hokie but still great

I never got a chance to watch much Voyager when it was in prime time so my wife and I have been going through all the Trek series on DVD over the last couple of years. While Voyager is hardly our favorite series it is still good and at times, very good. This episode is likely my favorite so far. Saying that I would say the primary plot line is a bit hokey, dinosaurs from earth evolving millenia ago, developing space flight, and then leaving earth prior to the asteroid killing disaster. That is extremely far fetched. However the premise made for a very good episode and of course there was a huge, and very pertinent, moral story line here as well. Also, the Gegen dinosaur character reminded me of Jakar in Babylon 5, somewhat in physical appearance but primarily in the way he talked and some of his mannerisms.
  • Distant Origin

Distant Origin was a perfect and amazing episode of Star Trek: Voyager. I really enjoyed watching this episode because the story was sort of based of a cool idea that a certain group of Dinosaurs evolved and eventually they had to leave Earth due to disaster. What the Saurians have become though was really interesting. I loved how the episode started out from their point of view. This episode was well written, the actors were perfect, the action scenes were awesome, and the Saurian's spacecraft were really cool. It's a shame the way things worked out in the end. I would have loved more exploration of this. What if this is the true origins of the "reptilian" race believed to exist on Earth today by many conspiracy theorists and other individuals and cultures. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!!!!!

• It seems the Dinosaurs didn't quite die as we thought. On the contrary, they have created a very powerful empire in the Delta quadrant. Star Trek at it's best!

I simply loved this episode! A very interesting and advanced race believes to be the first race - but there are some who think otherwise. A scientist finds remains of a human from Voyager and compares his DNA to their own, finding out they have something in common. They evolved on the very same planet.
    We see the whole story from the other side, there is no "Captain's log..." in the beginning. Actually, we don't get to see our crew until the second half of the episde. That is very refreshing. The scientist, scared of the government, sets out to find these humans. After finding some clues, he finally docks at the space station Voyager visited. Their superior engines make it a short way to intercept Voyager and while phase-shifted, they board the ship and watch humans up close.
    Voyager's crew isn't so low-tech, though. After some time, the aliens are discovered and Chakotay ends up on the alien vessel. Which ends up as a good thing, because Voyager gets beamed whole into a huge saurian mothership. Voyager is completely disabled and there seems to be no way to escape. Chakotay and the saurian scientist become friends in the meantime and because he doesn't want to endanger Voyager, he agrees to fly home to face the trial - he is accused of heresy and asked to admit his research about human and saurian people to evolve on the same planet to be false.
    In the end, he is forced to do so in order to save Voyager. His paleontology research carrier ends and he is forced to move to some other field of research. Even though, he now knows the truth. And some day, every saurian will know it too.
    A perfect episode which could easilly make up for a movie! I cannot think of any flaws in this one. Really, one of the best episodes in all Star Trek!
  • A classic example of what Star Trek was meant to be about. Taking several examples of historical events and converting it into an entertaining hour of television programming.

You can say what you want to about Brannon Braga and what he did to Star Trek as a franchise. You can also say that a few of the episodes that he wrote for Voyager were pretty subpar. But there were instances where he was right on the mark, and Distant Origins was one of them.

Star Trek, in its many spinoffs, has always had episodes that provide a strong social commentary and parallel to current or historical events. This episode is clearly an example of the latter. Every time there is a major discovery by a scientific mind, someone is always there to be skeptical of it, especially in this world's history.

Like another reviewer said, Galileo and Darwin faced much opposition when they proposed their theories, especially when it went against the religious doctrine of the time. We don't necessarily see these occurences in today's world so much, but there really has yet to be a groundbreaking discovery that 'rocks the boat' in our modern history.

The premise of this particular episode was very well thought out. One of the ultimate 'What if...' questions of science was explored and an attempt at an explanation was provided. While the science and current research wasn't completely accurate, the idea of an extremely intelligent species of dinosaurs had survived extinction and become technologically superior to humans is an incredible concept and one that will unlikely be witnessed.

Three cheers to Braga and his team for this episode...too bad they all couldn't be this good!
  • What ever happened to the Dinosaurs, Or more specifically - a Dinosaur?

Voyager has some great ideas that aren't pulled off fantastically well. However this one is a good one, not great but good. I like the fact that it starts with not the crew of Voyager but an alien scientist who finds the bones of a long lost human crew member. We see the majority of the episode and the ethical debates through his eyes. Although it begins as two explorers wishing to learn about possible distant cousins to there own race, it slowly becomes a debate over creation versus evolution (which at first seems funny due to the fact that this race has evolved from a specific earth dinosaur). The head Minister is adamant that it is heresy to question what boils down to religious beliefs. This is where the episode takes flight and we get an interesting and thought provoking subject. Other than the dinosaur making spaceships thing that made me laugh the only other niggle I had was the cloaking technology. In Deep Space Nine the Jem Hadar, another reptilian alien have personal cloaks, is this a coincidence or do reptilian aliens just understand cloaking better.
  • For the dinosaur lover in all of us.

I don't know if its just that I was a dinosaur nut as a kid, but this episode is my all-time favorite Voyager episode. The idea for this one was great. What would have happened to the dinosaur's futures had they not died out? I'm not trying to raise the evolution vs. creation debate here, but this episode imagines that evolution for the dinosaurs eventually took them into space. And the storyline was great, too. By having the evolved dinosaurs themselves accuse the blasphemous scientist who would dare to question their origins of being a heretic, evolution vs. creation is right there in the episode! Good, fun stuff!!
  • Aliens named Professor Gegen and his assistant Veer find remains of a Starfleet officer in a cave of alien world. Gegen thinks the remains may lead to the point of origin of his race, the Voth , a saurian race.

Aliens named Professor Gegen and his assistant Veer find remains of a Starfleet officer in a cave of alien world. Gegen thinks the remains may lead to the point of origin of his race, the Voth , a saurian race. Gegen finds a Starfleet rank badge with the micro-imprint of the word “Voyager” on the badge. Gegen inform his leaders that he may have found the origins of their race. Gegen proceeds to investigate and abduct Chakotay. Gegen, now has proof that their race originated on earth. The leaders think it is nothing but a bunch of hogwash.
  • A reptilian scientist challenges 'doctrine' with a theory that thier race evolved on earth.

This is probably one of the best stand alone episodes of the series to this point. The story is completey engrossing and interesting to the last. The idea that a type of dinosaur evolved intelligence, and left earth to avoid being destroyed by the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs is a fascinating one, and the perspective in the episode done from the point of view of the Voth rather than the crew of Voyager was an new touch for the series. The only quibble that a race that had been space-faring for millions of years was still generaly speaking not spectacularly technologically advanced than Voyager aside (although still quite advanced) this was the most solid episode to date. This should be showcased as one of the best episodes of the series.
  • Voyager encounters the Voth, a species that seems to have evolved from dinosaurs on Earth.

I very much enjoyed this episode because if it's intriging premise. The thought of dinosaurs having travelled into space and evolved on the other side of the galaxy is a very interesting idea.

The pacing of the episode is also very good. We follow two Voth scientists who are searching for clues of humans, such as what they look like.

In a nice bit of continuity, we see them visit the planet Voyager's crew was left on in 'Basics', where they examine a human skeleton, possible from Hogan, who was killed by that bizarre worm creature.

They also visit the station on the edge of the Nekrit Expanse, visited by Voyager in the episode 'Fair Trade'. The people there fill in some of the blanks, such as Voyager's uniform and that humans have hair.

When the scientists finally catch up with Voyager, they attempt to observe the crew, but are discovered. One of them captures Chakotay and retreats to his ship.

Voyager then encounters a Voth city ship, where their elders try to disprove the scientists discovery. The thought of their people having evolved on the same planet as mammals disgusts them and goes against their doctrane.

It is a facinating episode about how science goes against religion. My praise to the writers.
  • Two reptilian scientists search for Voyager in order to prove that their species evolved on the same planet as humans.

Another great contribution by Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky. Not to say that all the scripts this team has produced were excellent, but this is an episode that turned out very well, from the original plot, to the performances by the guest actors to the makeup, costuming and special effects for the Voth to the execution (only David Livingston could make a twelve-minute trial this interesting). When Columbus claimed the Earth was round, when Gallileo discovered heliocentrism, when Darwin published his theory of evolution, they must have endured hardships similar to those endured by Gegan in this episode. It was a sad ending, but obviously it couldn't have ended any other way. "Eyes open" we often hear throughout the episode. And there are some people in this century who should listen.