Star Trek: Voyager

Distant Origin

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 1997 on UPN

• What ever happened to the Dinosaurs, Or more specifically - a Dinosaur?

Voyager has some great ideas that aren't pulled off fantastically well. However this one is a good one, not great but good. I like the fact that it starts with not the crew of Voyager but an alien scientist who finds the bones of a long lost human crew member. We see the majority of the episode and the ethical debates through his eyes. Although it begins as two explorers wishing to learn about possible distant cousins to there own race, it slowly becomes a debate over creation versus evolution (which at first seems funny due to the fact that this race has evolved from a specific earth dinosaur). The head Minister is adamant that it is heresy to question what boils down to religious beliefs. This is where the episode takes flight and we get an interesting and thought provoking subject. Other than the dinosaur making spaceships thing that made me laugh the only other niggle I had was the cloaking technology. In Deep Space Nine the Jem Hadar, another reptilian alien have personal cloaks, is this a coincidence or do reptilian aliens just understand cloaking better.