Star Trek: Voyager

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 18, 1995 on UPN

6.7
  • Mating time!

4.5
    Seems like they were going for comic relief here with Kes going into heat, a supposedly once in a lifetime event. It was disturbing because I never bought the whole Neelix and Kes relationship, they had zero chemistry, and Neelix seemed too old for her. Neelix would have wanted to be a father, so his hesitation here, seems very out of character. Kes's symptoms are nasty. This is a good time as any for me to say, daum, that Kes wig is ugly. How did not one person protest about her butchered haircut, it looked so dry and brittle too and don't get me started on the Captains super asexual matronly, rigid governess type bun up do style she had going on the first season or two.
  • Kes's people should have died out ages ago with those pregnancy rules

Kes's race would have died out long ago if they only live 8 years, and only can be pregnant ONCE in that short lifetime. Ridiculous. No one thought that one through. Each woman would have to produce TWO offspring if men don't also give birth just to maintain the population status quo, so limiting them to one makes zero sense. Unless men also can procreate, or women very frequently have multiples (twins, triplets, litters) the population would be halved every generation, which in this case is maybe two years! The only other explanation I can think of is the Caretaker is also cloning that's dumb, too, because this race existed before the Caretaker ever showed up.

I like Kes a lot, and the discussions of Voyager turning into a generational ship were interesting and worthwhile, but the space creatures were also silly. They move by flagellation -- against what? Creatures that flagellate on Earth move through water, or air. Think of how you row a boat -- you have to push against SOMETHING. There is nothing in space to push against.
  • Elogium

Elogium was a good episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed this episode because it was just a silly episode about sex and mating behavior which offered some laughs and serious moments for Kes who entered a natural biological process a little prematurely for her people. It was fun to consider her having a child with Neelix. The space creature amoebas were kinda cool, and this was like a discover channel episode to a degree. Over all not a particularly over exciting episode, but the implications were important to consider. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!

• Issue of family.

Elogium; in this case it translates to an average episode that is a marked let down after the interesting episode that preceeded it. The main theme or issue tackled in this one is that of pregnancy and family; namely whether it is inevitable considering the length of time required to return back to the alpha quadrant and the replacement of crew members that will be required over that period of time as well as it serving to counter the feeling of lonliness that is bound to surface.

We get to see the issue addressed through some of the crew pairing off and a pregnancy of one of the minor crew members, the attraction of the space based beings that the Voyager flies into and is "attacked" by, but it is primairly presented through Kes and her entering the psysiological state in which she is able to concieve a child. A state that she can only enter once and thus a state that becomes a pressing a story driving issue. As far as the first two plot devices go, namely the pregnancy of the crew member and the alien life form, they both fail to really capture the viewer's interest or stick in the viewer's mind. The crew member is one who (as far as I can remember) we have never encountered before, and as such have no connection to or interest in. Whether we will see more of her and whether her pregnancy will take on a greater significance is left to be seen, but it is highly unlikely. The alien life form again serves as another instance of what is happening on the ship (pairing off and seeking a mate) and serves as the catalyst for Kes entering the Elogium, but ultimately fails to excite or stand out. The idea of nebulous life forms being sexually attracted to the mechanical Voyager actually seems a little absurd and generates a laugh but does not in the least generate the appearence of a serious threat. One good thing that can be said about the whole situation is that we are served with some unique visuals for seeing the beings and the nebula through the windows of the Captain's Ready Room.

As far as the main storyline with Kes, the physical change and process is a little extreme and seems to be more of a punishment or pain state rather than one which is needed to promote the continuation of her species, but Jennifer Lien does a supurb job in protraying it. From the beginning she has done a great job in getting the innocence, hunger for knowledge and subtle seduction of the Kes character across to the viewer and as such makes Kes as appealing and intesting as usual even when going through such a profound psyiological process. What interferes with the continuity of the whole idea behind the change in Kes and her need to procreate is the apparent conflict in Nelix's character that arises when he is presented with this need in her. Right from the beginning (and even more in the last bit of season one and the start of season two) it is apparent that Nelix borderlines on psychosis when it comes to Kes and their relationship and percieved threats to that relationship. In fact very shortly after this episode we get a story that is based primairly on that jealousy and percieved threats, but even before that we are aware of his mindset and his devotion to her. As a result Nelix's reluctance to jump right in an bond with her and go through the ritual to concieve a child her (one which would in theory cement their bond tighter and would be the first time he could physically mate with her) comes off as a marked conflict in Nelix's character, motivations and previous actions. Without this reluctance and deliberance on his part there would not be a story though, so it comes off as a dual edged sword that both damages the continuity of the whole idea but in whose absence there would be no story to tell at all. One interesting thing and an episode hilight to come out of this conflict is that we get to see an engrossing conversation between Nelix and Tuvok in which we learn some of Tuvok's family life and VERY minimally get to see some emotion in him as concerns his life back home.
  • Skip this episode and live longer. Seriously, this clunker from Season 2 is a waste of time. It's one of those rare episodes that gets progressively worse as it unfolds and ultimately collapses way outside the realm of satisfaction.

Skip this episode and live longer.

Seriously, this clunker from Season 2 is a waste of time.

Voyager encounters space-bound life forms. They proceed to investigate but energy fields put out by the critters shut down the impulse engines and draw Voyager into the swarm. They are stuck.

Meanwhile, Kes starts eating a lot. Flowers. Dirt. It would appear the energy fields put out by the swarm are forcing her into an early puberty and a need to mate.

She insists Neelix mate with her and she's looking pretty "wild-eyed" about it. When he hesitates, she gets upset.

Neelix consults Tuvok who is on a break from the unfolding crisis on the bridge. Based on this, Neelix decides he's ready to be a father.

Part of Kes' mating ritual is a foot massage (no kidding) from a father figure (Oedipus would have a field day). She starts questioning whether she should have a child.

Meanwhile, things on the bridge get really bizarre. It turns out the swarm is sexually attracted to Voyager. Soon, a larger life form shows up and starts challenge the starship. The thing looks like a slug and is almost as big as Voyager. Naturally, it starts ramming the ship. The whole visualization is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds with Voyager being buffeted by this extremely large life form and having to "play submissive" while rolling over and venting blue plasma in order to get away.

It makes me long for the "good ole days" of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and their frequent "monsters of the week." Kes ultimately decides not to have a child. Neelix is understandably disappointed.

There is some minor discussion about Voyager becoming an inter-generational ship due to the length of their voyage and how they could accommodate raising children. Certainly provocative for a story line but left largely unexplored.

Also, there is some mention of whether Kes and Neelix (as different species) are compatible to have children. But, this too is glossed over. However, you do have to wonder what sort of "monsters" these two might produce given Kes' "biology" and Neelix's lizard like features. It's sort of sad that a lot of liberties are taken of the Kes character throughout the series. She's generally a nice character and a great complement to the crew. Yet, her strange biology of a short life span, her telepathic abilities, and other biological oddities prove insurmountable such that they ultimately cut her role from the series. In this episode, she's developing a uterus on her back. This will be explored further in a later episode but eventually, her character becomes so boxed into these things that she becomes way to odd to stay on the ship. Her replacement will be Seven of Nine.
  • Great episode. Loved the introduction of romance aboard Voyager and the pregnancy of Ensg. Wildman

I don't know if it was just me or what but I loved it when, in the very beginning of the episode, Chakotay approached the Captain about the couple he caught kissing in the turbo lift. He asked her if she was going to pair off and she smiled, blushed, and averted her eyes when she answered him, stating "As Captain, that's a luxory I don't have. Then she gave him a long look before walking away...I always thought that was the writers way of hinting at a possible romance b/t J & C, goodness knows I wasn't alone in wishing that would happen... but I guess I was wrong...dang it!
  • The “Voyager” crew encounters a swarm of space-dwelling lifeforms. These life forms are affecting ships systems. They are also affecting something else. Kes starts having a appetite eating everything in site. Neelix is worried and takes her to sickbay.

The “Voyager” crew encounters a swarm of space-dwelling lifeforms. These life forms are affecting ships systems. They are also affecting something else. Kes starts having a appetite eating everything in site. Neelix is worried and takes her to sickbay. The Doctor having very little knowledge of the Ocampa lifeforms is unable to help. Sometimes is takes another woman to figure out what is going on with another woman. Kes is going through what we would call puberty. Ocampa only have one chance in a lifetime to mate. Can Neelix be a good father? I rate this one a 9.4
  • Alien life forms surrounding Voyager force Kes into the biological stage in her life when she can have a baby.

5.5
    Filler episodes are standard fare for a show like Voyager, in which long story arcs are difficult to pull off, and you never see the same planet again. This episode is the typical format - An emergency happens, the crew runs around to save the ship, and a crew member or two get some new insights, the emergency is taken care of, and life goes on. In this episode, Neelix and Kes have to face the question of having children, but in typical "Voyager" fashion, they are granted a reprieve. Another filler episode that this time focuses on Neelix and Kes.