Star Trek: Voyager

Emanations

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 13, 1995 on UPN

• Momento Mori

Creepy... the dead bodies, like mummies in the asteroid, very eerie

Okay it doesn't take much to frighten me, but the dead corpses kept popping up throughout the episode, so that kept me awake!

That Harry Kim sure is adorable, I just want to put him in my pocket. He might have been one of People's 50 Most Beautiful people at the time but he wasn't the strongest actor and it wasn't for lack of material.
  • Very fair, for the typically anti-religious Star Trek Universe

As an agnostic, I found this a very fair, down the middle episode on life after death. As opposed to TNG, and even Enterprise, which tend to be heavy-handed and condescending towards religion - consistent with the Roddenberry line that science can explain everything - this episode treated religion with the agnostic "how can we really know" approach.

I think the very presence of the spiritual Chakotay on Voyager - and Sisko on DS9 - are a welcome departure from the dogmatic, anti-religious bias of the Roddenberry era. Even Janeway keeps an open mind. Again, I say this as a non-religious person, who nonetheless, bristles at the left's claim of tolerance, while simultaneously mocking religious views. I find 100% certain atheists as arrogant as 100% religious types.

I think this episode really hits on a horrific fear we all have; do we really just end when we die? Is it really like the off-switch that Steve Jobs posits? Or is there an "ow wow!"?
  • Emanations

Emanations was a great episode of Star Trek Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode as Ensign Harry Kim was switched with a body of another species who believe they are moving on to the after life in a strange manner. This episode had many great scenes, character development, and made viewers think about life and death. The crew was once again resourceful and fun to watch as they tried to solve the mystery of what was happening. Over all a good story and great acting made a great episode. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek Voyager!!!!!

• Harry Kim fans will enjoy this episode

I, myself, am a Harry Kim fan. And I confess that the main reason why I like this episode so much is because Kim dies and comes back to life. (Which may sound strange since I am a fan of his). But this episode probes at the question of the afterlife. What happens? Those who constantly ask this may or may not enjoy this episode, depending on your point of view. All in all, I enjoyed the episode, even with the questionable atmosphere on the asteroid. But those who prefer action, (in the sense of shooting, fighting, etc) may not want to watch this episode. Recommended.
  • We find ourselves in another cave and then an uninteresting story not so much unfolds as purely dripples...

I can watch most Star Trek episodes, from all the series, over and over again. Even though I know the story, simply seeing my favorite characters getting into one more trouble is a pleasure enough.

There are however few episodes in between that I really get bored over, and this is one of those. As somewhat stated in previous review - the existence of a cave or underground tunnels is cheap and boring in my books, so this episode had me ticked of straight from the start. To add an insult to injury, how can you possibly have atmosphere on an asteroid? Usually I don't try to think to much of the technology or laws of physics, but that one stroke me as way to convenient for our Voyager explorers (or shall we say Voyagers script writers).

There is no urgency in the story and no real development either. At the last minute we have our dearest Kim back, but anything else about the story is just flapping in the wind. One good think was Voyagers flight close to the rings of the planet. Really beautiful computer work there.

However, this is my least favorite episode so far.!!
  • The “Voyager” finds a planet with asteroids orbiting the planet. On one of the asteroids is a new element that has yet to be discover by a federation representive. Chakotay, Kim, Torres are beamed to the asteroid to investigate this new element.

The “Voyager” finds a planet with asteroids orbiting the planet. On one of the asteroids is a new element that has yet to be discover by a federation representive. Chakotay, Kim, Torres are beamed to the asteroid to investigate this new element. They find dead bodies. It seems they have found an alien burial ground. Seeing it is best to leave the dead alone the away team beams back aboard the “Enterprise” In transport Kim is replace with a alien body. So where is Kim? He is found alright, by the wrong people. They plan on keeping Kim.
  • While exploring an asteroid, Harry Kim disappears inside a subspace vacuole and awakens on a planet where he is believed to have returned from the afterlife.

7.3
    This is probably my least favourite episode of the season. Being a pretty strong season, it's still a generous compliemnt. However, it just didn't get to me. It's the kind of episode where the plot just progresses onward and no real time is left for character development except for a few empty "what happens after death?" trying-to-be-philosophical scenes. But unlike the also plot-driven "ex post facto", this episode had a less than interesting story. My only advice is not to use this episode to introduce a newcomer to the Star Trek franchise. All of his negative pre-conceptions will probably be confirmed.