Star Trek: Voyager

Equinox (2)

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 1999 on UPN

• Seriously flawed… Janeway must have gone off her meds…

Seriously flawed… Janeway must have gone off her meds…

This is the 6th season opener of the "cliff-hanging" ending to the 5th season. In Part I, Voyager encounters another ship in the Delta Quadrant. It's a science ship called the Equinox with a smaller crew and is led by Captain Ransom. This ship is under attack by an alien life form from another dimension. It turns out in Part I, that Ransom and his crew were capturing the aliens and then using their dead bodies as fuel to get home. An act that Janeway considers illegal. She imprisons the Equinox crew but they manage to escape back to the Equinox where they take off leaving Voyager at the mercy of the attacking aliens. So ends Season 5. Generally, an exciting episode. The story picks up in Season 6 with an immediate tonal change. Janeway immediately begins acting irrationally and out of character. Rather than dealing with the aliens attacking Voyager, she decides to go after Ransom and the Equinox. She captures one of the crew and demands to know Ransom's status. He refuses to comply so she removes the shielding around the cargo bay so the aliens will attack and kill him. She's convinced he will "break" before that happens. Chakotay steps in before that happens and for this act, she removes him from command.

Compounding things, when she finally acquiesces to Chakotay and Tuvok wanting to talk to the aliens, she promises the aliens she will turn the Equinox and its crew over to them.

Ultimately, this becomes a story trying to create and play out a theme. There's two starship captains, one (Ransom) has crossed the line and wants to go back. His first officer, (Burke) resists and won't let that happen. Janeway is also crossing lines and her first officer (Chakotay) resists it. The Doctors (both the EMH on Voyager as well on the Equinox) can have their ethical sub-routines turned off with a single switch. I suspect that's supposed to be saying something about humans (Ransom and Janeway) flipping their ethics on and off with relative easy.

First of all, I really don't buy it since we've spent six years with Janeway and although she's proven unstable and belligerent at times, she's never been this far out of whack. Secondly, this is very damaging to her character with little in the way of payback. A lot of the adventure as well as tension in the episode could have been handled without her going to these extremes.

The final scene involves Voyager's name plate which has fallen off the wall. (In Part I, the Equinox plate also fell off the wall). Janeway and Chakotay are going to put it back, no doubt symbolizing a return to the higher standards being on Voyager demands. I'm not too sure the ending shouldn't have been Chakotay locking Janeway in the brig. Or, the now ethically inclined Doctor could have given her a shot and explained away her bizarre behavior as a result her earlier direct encounter with the alien life form.
  • Equinox (2)

Equinox (2) was a great episode and season 6 premiere for Star Trek: Voyager. I enjoyed watching this second half to last season's cliffhanger. The story was engaging and it was fun to see Captain Janeway a bit out of character as she made some questionable decisions and didn't heed the advice of her closest colleagues. It was cool to see more of the aliens from another realm. This was an entertaining episode with intrigue, action, surprise, as well as character and plot development. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!

• Janeway turns into the b**ch from hell!

7.7
    Janeway becomes OBSESSED with tracking down Captain Ransom and the Equinox crew.
    we have seen her nearly cross the line before but this time she completely snaps! she relieves Chakotay of command (for disagreeing with her decision to nearly kill someome!), she 'threatens' Tuvok with the same fate (for disagreeing with her opinion!)

i really didn't like Janeway in this episode, there had been glimpses of this attitude in earlier seasons so we knew it was there but when Janeway unleashes hell ...its damn brutal!

so while voyager is hunting them down the equinox are trying to disect seven of nines sub routines to get access to voyagers command codes
    meanwhile the Equinox doctor is onboard voyager causing trouble and sending shield frequencies to the Equinox

I guess theres only room for one Federation ship in the Delta Quadrant
  • Conclusion. Voyager is being attacked by angry aliens. Why are they so mad? The Equinox is to blame. The crew of Equinox have been capturing the aliens and using them to get home faster. The method is murdering them.

Conclusion. Voyager is being attacked by angry aliens. Why are they so mad? The Equinox is to blame. The crew of Equinox have been capturing the aliens and using them to get home faster. The method is murdering them. Janeway is outrage and seeking revenge. Janeway does capture three of the Equinox crew members. They are in the brig. Janeway wants answers. She will go as far as letting the aliens kill an Equinox crew member. Chakotay questions her behavior. Janeway relieves Chakotay of duty. Tuvok also says Janeway is irrational. She asks Tuvok, if he would like to join Chakotay. I rate this episode a 9.6
  • Season starting cliffhanger!

Welcome back to the delta quadrant. Things look bleak for the Voyager crew as they are put in a dangerous place by the crew of the Equinox. Led by the ever ruminative but decisive Captain Ransom, played wonderfully by John Savage. The character actually has an arc that is easily followed and understood.

Filling out his crew are a set of really good guest stars including the solid Titus Welliver. This episode shows us what might have happened with a different captain, and different choices.

As usual Chakotay gets to be Janeway's moral compass. Keeping her from crossing the line.

This was a solid season opener with great moral questions. Also showing the naivety of Starfleet and the strength of this crew.