Star Trek: Voyager

Eye of the Needle

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 20, 1995 on UPN

• The first glimmer of hope excites the audience just as much as the far-away-from-home crew of Voyager.

There is an enjoyment to this episode which gladly can be seen in several others throughout the series. It is this sense of family which is even stronger than Next Generation ever managed.

Here we get to see them finding their first possible wormhole that could lead them home. Imagine their disappointment when it is only few meters wide. But through a lot of techno-babble they manage not only to find a ship on the other side but soon are transporting objects over to it.

We see the doctor grow as well, and the moral question of this episode centers around him. At which point do we start to treat software humanely? This question is clearly something that the generation growing up now will have to face at some point. When do we consider robots or software intelligent enough to ask them how they feel about the way we treat them? Will it come with 'their' awareness, or might they have to fight for their rights like other minority groups in the past? But I digress... Kathryn is the clear victor from this episode, showing more feelings than most captains before her. She really cares for her crew and has no higher hope than to get them home. There was also much better camera work in these episode then in the previous ones. For the first time I felt like the Voyager filmcrew were starting to pick their own lens view, independent from previous Star Trek shows. It had something to do with in which way they shot Kathryn...

Fine episode!