Star Trek: Voyager

Fair Haven

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 12, 2000 on UPN

6.8
  • Fair Haven

Fair Haven was a great episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it focused more on characters than what was going on in space. It was a nice change of pace for the actors I'm sure as well and it was fun to watch them play their parts in the story. The Captain basically falls for a guy and adjusts him to be more to her parameters and it was interesting to watch how things progressed. This was a fun side story. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!

• Janeway in love…

Janeway in love…

Paris has created an idyllic community (Fair Haven) on the halodeck. It would seem that everyone on board likes the program. One of the characters, Michael Sullivan, a bartender, catches Janeway's fancy. Offline, she adjusts the character by making him more outspoken, better read, and a few inches taller. She also deletes the character of his wife. Voyager is about to enter a region of intense turbulence and possible radiation. Neelix suggests that the "Fair Haven" program on the holodeck be left open to all and always available for the morale of the crew. Janeway agrees.

Janeway uses the program a lot and is clearly smitten with the Sullivan character. However, she soon becomes cold to him (he snores) and that considering that the program continues to run all the time, others are aware that Sullivan is looking for his new girlfriend "Katy." They all know it's Janeway.

The story sidesteps the question of sex on the holodeck. Janeway is asked about this but dismisses the discussion in such a way that we can only presume such an event did really take place.

In a conversation with the Doctor, he tells her that her that she should always consider a "holodeck-lover" giving her command responsibilities but that the character should be allowed to evolve, meaning Janeway shouldn't intrude to change the character all the time.

The final encounter with the space turbulence renders the Fair Haven program a fraction of its former self. Nevertheless, the Sullivan character remains and Janeway tells the computer to not let him change him in the future.

Ultimately, I like this story. I like Janeway having a love interest. I like that she tries to manipulate that person to something better for her. I like that she decides to not manipulate that person to her idea of perfection.
  • The Beginning of the End for the show

the first ten episodes of season six were great but from this episode until the end of the show it really was all down hill. there was maybe 4 brilliant and 4 decent episodes in the final two seasons but they were overshadowed with the character development going out of control, the sub plots going silly, and this episode starts it all off

on paper ...exciting! a brand new holodeck program, a new setting for the crew to relax in and you know will feature in many episodes

season one - Sandrines bar set in Marseille France
    season three - the sunbathing place with everyone walking around in bikinis season five - Captain Proton, flotter and the forest of forever

so the new one ...an irish village, ok its good i suppose but you can do ANYTHING with the holodeck, why not a castle, or a ski resort the crew can hang out in, you literally have the choice to dream up any setting and any characters and then use it in future episodes, so i just think it was a bit crummy and uncreative that we get this

Janeway falls in love again

thats about it really
  • And if you can't be with the one you love....Love the one you're with...

Where would this series be without the holodeck? Once again the a holodeck program goes haywire, except this time, the safety parameters are not the first thing to fail. This episode does give us a glimpse at Captain Janeway as a women with needs and desires, which is nice to see, but if you're looking for the science part of science fiction, this episode isn't it. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a little relationship advice, or maybe want to find a way to tell your overbearing other-half to cool it, this episode could be just the one for you. The good news is that all this touchy-feely stuff is counterbalanced by plenty of humor. Every major cast member gets at least one one-liner in, even Seven. Overall, a pleasant enough episode, worth a look.
  • Kim and Paris create a new holodeck program, which is set in the Irish Village called Fair Haven. This Fair Haven program has all of the crew talking. They love it. Voyager sensors detect a terrible ion storm ahead.

7.9
    Kim and Paris create a new holodeck program, which is set in the Irish Village called Fair Haven. This Fair Haven program has all of the crew talking. They love it. Voyager sensors detect a terrible ion storm ahead. It is strong enough to keep the warp drive and impulse engines offline. The only thing the crew can do is enjoy the holodeck program, while the Voyager is caught in the storm. Janeway finds a character she likes. She has fallen in love with Michael Sullivan. If you like romance stories than this is the episode for you. I rate this episode a 7.9