Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

Does anybody have news about any new series ou movie in the star trek saga?

elchoruga21

[1]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 1

Waiting for any news!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 66
    As far as I know they haven't yet committed to anything solid for a new movie yet. And I don't believe there are any plans to launch a new series at this time.

elchoruga21

[3]Jul 15, 2010

ugh!!! Someone else???

agent_0042

[4]Jul 16, 2010
    ROTFL. Do you think that somebody else is going to be able to magically snap their fingers and come up with something that doesn't exist. There is nothing. Ever since Enterprise I think they're wary of making anything else new as far as a series goes. As far as a movie, the cast is signed for two sequels (which I believe is often standard when a film is as successful as that one was, or at least one sequel anyway), but there's no script yet and they haven't yet confirmed a director.
    Edited on 07/16/2010 7:13pm

pferreira86

[5]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 17

The new Star Trek film sequel script is still under development. I believe the release date for the sequel movie is 2012 or 2013. Remember it was about four years until we got the 2009 Star Trek movie so these things take time. I understand that with the success of the 2009 revamp or reboot that you'd think the studio would make a new Trek TV series. The studio was no doubt surprised by how well it did but I really think that any chance of a new television series will happen if the sequels do well.

The other problem you have to consider is that while the 2009 was a success it now has an built in audience. To do a new Trek series set after the 2009 series would confuse the existing fanbase of the 2009 film and the studio knows this. Also J J Abrams is at the moment seen as the only reliable person by Paramount to revamp Star Trek for a new audience. Paramount don't trust anyone else and he so far has not committed to working on a Star Trek series. I hope that's helpful.

Edited on 07/18/2010 3:14pm

elchoruga21

[6]Jul 19, 2010

If you are right my guessing would be a new series with some of tng and voyager caracters. That would be amazing.

Maybe the trek saga will match starwars popularity.

But it semes to me that star trek fans are more demanding in the scripts and philosophy.

Which are your guess?

pferreira86

[7]Jul 25, 2010

elchoruga21 wrote:

If you are right my guessing would be a new series with some of tng and voyager caracters. That would be amazing.

Maybe the trek saga will match starwars popularity.

But it semes to me that star trek fans are more demanding in the scripts and philosophy.

Which are your guess?

Well, everything I've told you is the best information you're going to get...and no, I think it's safe to say a new Star Trek series will have entirely new characters. Again, it's about reaching to the new fanbase that the new movie has created.

Maybe Trek will match the popularity of Star Wars? Huh? Star Trek is a multi-billion dollar franchise, it is as popular as Star Wars.

elchoruga21

[8]Jul 31, 2010
    If producers take too much time the new fanbase will just vanish, there are might be new series ready to be launched.

pferreira86

[9]Aug 1, 2010

These things can take time and I think Paramount are being very careful with Star Trek TV shows after the disappointment of Enterprise.

agent_0042

[10]Aug 27, 2010
    Fandango states that a story for the second alternate-timeline Star Trek film has been completed and work on a script starts soon, with a projected release date for the film of Summer 2012. The film may is said to possibly be to Star Trek what The Dark Knight was to Batman Begins.

Samuel2484

[11]Aug 30, 2010
    • level: 16

Am I the only person who !Flipping! preferred Batman Begins to The Dark Night?!

Anyway I really liked The 2009 Trek Film and I can't wait for Movie number 2 or in this case Trek Movie number 12 :L I think a reboot series would work great because their futures are now un-predictable and the new Fans would get further into the Star Trek franchise...

Edited on 08/30/2010 1:53pm

pferreira86

[12]Sep 5, 2010

What I liked about the 2009 Star Trek movie is that it was a reboot but took place in a parallel universe meaning that the original Star Trek universe still exists and is therefore still canon. A nice touch by the writers and makes the long term Trek fans not feel cheated.

ChipsTheButler

[13]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    Apparently there is a new series in the works now. It will have a multi-season arc planned in advance, which sounds interesting.

NiallB31

[14]Jul 27, 2014
    • level: 8

In the past recent weeks, there have been rumors (sadly that's all they were) of a new series.

I do think that with the success of the JJ films, a series in the next few years would be perfect. Its time for a new series and its been years since ENT went off the air.

However, I would set the new series a few decades after Voyager. I dont want it set in this alternate timeline, because all we will probably get is remakes of TOS and TNG episodes told differently.