Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

Favourite Crew Member?

Favourite crew member/ character?

Samuel2484

[1]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 16

My favourite crew member(s) have got to be Tom Paris and the Doctor. I liked the developement of Paris' character as he turned from a Starfleet Misfit to a responsible crewman/pilot. He was always the funny one and had an entertaining story, also a great Holo programer, he invited great programs to the holodeck with his knowledge of 20th Century Earth. I think that the Doctor is also great because of his developement throughout the Voyager story. I loved the episode 'Tinker, Tonker, Doctor, Spy' in which the Doctor daydreams. I thought that he was brilliant at bringing new storylines to Star Trek by bringing Holograms to be a proper piece of the francise.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 32
    I also like the doctor though my other favorite crew member was Captain Janeway. Janeways and the Doctors performance (Janeways especially) was particularly noteworthy in Year of Hell.

agent_0042

[3]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 66
    I'm quite a Janeway fan myself-- I probably would like her even more if she wasn't written so inconsistently. But I too am quite a fan of both Paris and The Doctor.

finalcry

[4]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 6

My favorite crew member would have to be Tom Paris. Although I always found him to be quite mild for the badass of the show. His character could have had a little more bite to him.

pferreira86

[5]May 2, 2010
    • level: 17

They weren't the best written characters but Paris and Tuvok were the most fun, especially together. They played off each other well.

Samuel2484

[6]May 3, 2010

I've gotta say my least favourite was Harry Kim. I don't think he was well written, I think he was boring, and I don't think the actor that played him was especialy good, didn't make him very believable when doing emotional parts :/

pferreira86

[7]May 16, 2010
    • level: 17

Samuel2484 wrote:

I've gotta say my least favourite was Harry Kim. I don't think he was well written, I think he was boring, and I don't think the actor that played him was especialy good, didn't make him very believable when doing emotional parts :/

The whole point of Harry as a character was that he was a fresh crewman just out of the academy. The problem is that while initially the writers stayed true to portraying this well as new writers came in they didn't progress the character properly. It's like the writers stayed with the original character brief all through the seven years of the show. Through the later years of the serieswe gotconstant reminders from the writers to the viewers that Harry is still inexperienced (even in Season 6?!) and it made him look stupid that someone having gone through so much was still so naive after four years. I'm not saying that they should have turned Harry into an evil criminal but they probably could have made him more knowing of things around him.

As for the acting Garret Wang didn't have much acting experience at all but with any actor you can only do so much with the material you're provided.

Samuel2484

[8]May 17, 2010

pferreira86 wrote:

Samuel2484 wrote:

The whole point of Harry as a character was that he was a fresh crewman just out of the academy. The problem is that while initially the writers stayed true to portraying this well as new writers came in they didn't progress the character properly. It's like the writers stayed with the original character brief all through the seven years of the show. Through the later years of the serieswe gotconstant reminders from the writers to the viewers that Harry is still inexperienced (even in Season 6?!) and it made him look stupid that someone having gone through so much was still so naive after four years. I'm not saying that they should have turned Harry into an evil criminal but they probably could have made him more knowing of things around him.

As for the acting Garret Wang didn't have much acting experience at all but with any actor you can only do so much with the material you're provided.

Very good point.

TuMulTusX

[9]May 20, 2010
    • level: 6
    I think that the above poll is rather nonsense the way it is set up! You should have listed the characters seperately. For example: I can imagine that people would want to vote for the Dr. but not for Nelix (and wise versa). If they now vote for the doc, Nelix gets a vote too.

This is probably the explanation why nobody participates ... !

Yaspaa

[10]May 31, 2010
    • level: 79
    7, not Kes.

tpbtdqgj4e

[11]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 4

My favorite member was B'elanna. She was a smart feisty woman who I related too the most. I really enjoyed her character growth over the series. She started out as someone who was angry all the time and showed self destructive ways to the end where she was a true starfleet officer, a wife, mother, and someone who had learned how to forgive.

Samuel2484

[12]Jun 2, 2010

TuMulTusX wrote:
    I think that the above poll is rather nonsense the way it is set up! You should have listed the characters seperately. For example: I can imagine that people would want to vote for the Dr. but not for Nelix (and wise versa). If they now vote for the doc, Nelix gets a vote too. This is probably the explanation why nobody participates ... !

I'de like to point out that they only give you 5 slots for the polls so I had to made do.

jrsgalaxy

[13]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 14

Tom Paris had to be easily the most fun character. I wanted to vote for the Doctor but Neelix was the worst character on Voyager so I didn't want him to get a vote too because he doesn't deserve it. Sorry Doc.

seto1

[14]Jul 4, 2010
    9 and kes were my favs dam they were cute.

xenatorres

[15]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 2

I can't get why you paired characters. You paired my fav Star Trek character EVER (B'Elanna) with my least fav Voyager character (Kim). :S Makes way more sense to pair B'Elanna with Tom anyway. B'Elanna is my fav ST character of all time (so obviously 1st for Voyager). Janeway, then Seven, come second and third for fav Voyager characters.