TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

I loved the series finale of Voyager, but... (*spoilers* for final episode)

lobomensch

[21]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 51
    Then again, they could've simply started the finale with them already on Earth explaining the circumstances of their return and going their seperate ways. Easy way to do it that covers all bases.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tb485

[22]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    Part of the philosophy of final episodes is that they have to leave you wanting more. They don't want to fall into the "The Fugitive" trap where everything was wrapped up neat and tidy and the syndication demand plummeted.

We never got to see the M*A*S*H folks reunite (except for the three that went on to the dreadful AfterMASH). Frasier landed in Chicago; what became of that? "Newhart" warped back to "The Bob Newhart Show." St. Elsewhere took place entirely in a snow globe.

tvloverduh

[23]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 22
    even though Janeway altered the timeline... I thought the writers were clever by showing their lives in the first 20 minutes... I always considered that the answer to "where are they now"

lennydonkey

[24]Jan 24, 2008
    • level: 12

tvloverduh wrote:
    even though Janeway altered the timeline... I thought the writers were clever by showing their lives in the first 20 minutes... I always considered that the answer to "where are they now"

I did like seeing Tom and B'Elana's daughter, and it was cool to see that Harry opted for deep space missions. I just guess I wished I saw more of the arrival, at the moment they arrived. But that's just my wishful thinking. The episode was still very good.

BKuncle

[25]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 4
    lennydonkey wrote:

tvloverduh wrote:

I did like seeing Tom and B'Elana's daughter, and it was cool to see that Harry opted for deep space missions. I just guess I wished I saw more of the arrival, at the moment they arrived. But that's just my wishful thinking. The episode was still very good.

That's what I hated about the ending. So out of character ! Janeway alters the time line possibly killing countless numbers of people....doesn't make sense....

Jezzen

[26]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 10

I also loved the series finale, but it left me wanting more because it ended before they were actually back on Earth. I understand Voyager was supposed to be about the voyage home, but some reactions would have been nice. So I did read homecoming, and it felt like the missing episode to me. It didn't take much imagination to visualize, but maybe that's because I watched all seven seasons in one go.

Govsmith

[27]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    I was one of those people who watched Voyager every week for seven years. The Final episode, while interesting in terms of finding out a sort of AU version of the crew's lives, really just ended abruptly.

Not to mention the three episode arch of the 'out of left field, blindsiding right hook in the jaw' Chakotay/Seven relationship. 'Natural Law' was a extremely bad rehash of "Resolutions" which was the pinnacle of the Janeway/Chakotay relationship. There was no build up to C/7, no tension or chemistry which had been laid out for 2 years in the case of J/C. It was totally and completely unbelievable and unrealistic for Chakotay to suddenly find himself in love with 7.

It was a very distracting and unpleasant situation in Endgame.

Had Paramount been willing to give the final episode an extra half hour even (and of course ditched the whole C/7 crap) I think the episode could have ended with a much more satisfying note. I understand the concept of wanting to keep the public crying for more, but considering that there will be no Voyager movie and Enterprise bombed after 3 seasons, something more than just ships flying off in the star field would have been better.

Just my two cents.

agent_0042

[29]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 66
    Boink, I completely agree with you about the time travel. It also reminds me of the sorts of things Braxton said -- "Your Captain is reckles... she has no regard for the timeline..." On the whole, I liked Janeway, but she could be mighty high and righteous at times.

cjhtwo

[32]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 6

I definitely think that Endgame should have been a multi-parter. It was much too abrupt. We didn't need extensive stories about them getting home, but a Homecoming Party would have been nice. And I cannot for the life of me fathom why they felt the need for the manufactured relationship between Chakotay & Seven.

I'm glad that the final episode of Enterprise was mentioned. I think that the last season was it's best season, but that finale is, in my opinion, the worst finale I have ever seen on any show - and I liked Enterprise! Made even worse by the fact that the closing scene wasn't even Enterprise characters! Who could have thought that was a good idea? And who could have thought that it was at all fair to the Enterprise actors?

Red0ptimi5tic

[33]Jul 29, 2008
    cjhtwo wrote:

I definitely think that Endgame should have been a multi-parter. It was much too abrupt. We didn't need extensive stories about them getting home, but a Homecoming Party would have been nice. And I cannot for the life of me fathom why they felt the need for the manufactured relationship between Chakotay & Seven.

I know, right? It was like the writers were thinking," Okay, boost ratings! We need to boost ratings!.................."and for some strange reason, they thought," I got it! A CHAKOTAY/SEVEN PAIRING! Great idea, right?" WRONG! As I read somewhere earlier on this board, Seven by then had the maturity level of a 12 year old. It was just weird...

spockbrain

[34]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 1
    I totally agree with you! It would have been far more interesting to show us the reception the main characters each received once they returned to Earth. Instead, too much focus was placed on the conflict between Janeway and the Borg Queen, as good as that was. After investing seven years in these characters---some of the most compelling of the franchise--I think we all deserved more of a lasting look at their reunions.

Red0ptimi5tic

[35]Jul 30, 2008

spockbrain wrote:
    I totally agree with you! It would have been far more interesting to show us the reception the main characters each received once they returned to Earth. Instead, too much focus was placed on the conflict between Janeway and the Borg Queen, as good as that was. After investing seven years in these characters---some of the most compelling of the franchise--I think we all deserved more of a lasting look at their reunions.

Whether we like it or not, ALL finales end up making us ask questions. I think that if they had shown an episode about what had happened to them, we would probably have had even more questions to ask. They leave it all up to us to draw conclusions which would have happened either way.

lennydonkey

[36]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 12

Both TNG and DS9 both had good closing scenes with all the main characters. Picard and the crew playing cards while he reflects on how special that time and place is. The whole crew gathered at Vicks while Sisko makes a toast and acknowledges the last 7 years and that everyone is moving on.

Voyager had no similar scene. It was just a crazy chase with the borg then "hey were home" End scene. End Episode. End Series. Not a lot of closure there.

Edited on 08/05/2008 6:40am

cvjrbdjkasfi

[37]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 7

At times Voyager has been prone to hammy lines. Especially when it comes to the Borg. However, "must have been something you assimilated" is just plain AWFUL.

kentuckyfried00 wrote:

Hi,

I just finished watching the last episode as part of the Star Trek "Borg Fan Collective."

What exactly did Paris do? Did the ship beam itself into the interior of the Borg Sphere? Did it move into the interior somehow without getting blasted to bits? I get the part that Voyager ended up inside the sphere, I just don't know how.

That was an awesome way to get them through the wormhole, home. For a moment there I thought they were going to be stuck in the Delta Quadrant again.

Borg spheres tractor ships into the centre for assimilation. However, they normally make sure that weapons have been disabled before doing so. This is another example of the Borg being conveniently weakened and stupidified.

NiallB31

[38]Jul 19, 2011
    • level: 8

It was a bit abrupt but it answered the biggest question of all: will they get home?

And Voyager had an amazing finale. But the Chacktay/Seven romace was a bit sudden. In my mind they have been secretly dating for several episodes or at least since Natural Law.

pferreira86

[39]Aug 14, 2011
    • level: 17

I was really disappointed with Voyager's finale. The show didn't feel like it was coming full circle, instead the writing felt lazy. The writers could have brought back the female Caretaker plot back and had the Voyager crew trying to protect her in order to get home. Instead the production crew just relied on the obvious plot ideas: Borg and time travel. Like we hadn't seen that before a million times. Also why was it called Endgame? It seemed like every film or TV show back in the early 2000s used that title even when it didn't hold that much meaning towards the plot.

ChipsTheButler

[40]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 9
    There was an episode of The Simpsons where, while Homer, Lenny, Carl, and other characters were watching "the Voyager finale", the hsip is shown orbiting Earth. Pity that didn't happen in the show, despite the many scenes where they bang on about wanting to see Earth again.