Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

Poll: Best Star Trek Captain

Who is the best starring Captain from all Star Trek series.

Telkiar

[21]May 9, 2007
    • level: 10
    You're a trekkie, Clemontine?

I feel so out of place because I voted for Archer.

I Never watch TOS, even though I really like Shatner
    Picard was a sissy
    Sisko was cool, but very forgettable
    Janeway was an uptight 'this is my first command must follow the book exactly'
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Delia_35

[22]May 9, 2007
    • level: 8
    Telkiar wrote:

Janeway was an uptight 'this is my first command must follow the book exactly'

Voyager wasn't Janeway's first command....was it? I could have sworn it wasn't.

Martini_D

[23]May 14, 2007
    • level: 10
    We are on the Voyager forum, so I guess that's why Kathryn has more votes. I voted for her. It's actually Voyager who got me into Star Trek, so for me, she'll always have something in my heart

Oakland510_

[24]May 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    janeway gets my vote.  who wouldnt vote for a hot milf?

Codeguru

[25]May 15, 2007
    • level: 6

If this wasn't a voyager board Picard would have gotten 50,000 votes over everyone in the first few minutes. That is if anyone even knew these boards existed...

Codeguru

super_snotling

[26]May 16, 2007
    • level: 16

Simple, almost Vulcan-quality logic coming up.

A captain has to be resourceful, thus my vote goes to Janeway for finding all the spare shuttle craft to replace the ones that are constantly blowing up.
    Also Admiral Janewyay in Endgame was willing to break the rules to save a few friends.  I think that she would have done the same thing as a captain.

Tronman100

[27]May 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    Oakland510_ wrote:
    janeway gets my vote. who wouldnt vote for a hot milf?

I didn't realize Janeway was a mother, lol.

super_snotling wrote:
    A captain has to be resourceful, thus my vote goes to Janeway for finding all the spare shuttle craft to replace the ones that are constantly blowing up.

Haha. Nice.

super_snotling

[28]May 16, 2007
    • level: 16

Why thank you sir.

See also re resourcefulness :
    Never-ending supply of coffee
    never-ending supply of Ensign Expendables
    the products for the 'do must come from somewhere.
    extra hull plating to patch up fire-fight damage

the list goes on.

Shingo56

[29]May 16, 2007
    • level: 3

Janeway's got my vote.

She got her crew across a 75 year distance in only 7 years...

Borg augmentations, a ridiculous amount of first contacts, pragmatism while keeping your values. Doing what you gotta do for your crew. That's what its all about.

Masamuze

[30]Jun 13, 2007
    Janeway gets my vote as she was the most resourceful, most brave and most irrational captain i have seen on here! She had noone, ok maybe Neelix a little to guide her through the first 3 years but she done it, and got 140 somthing people back home! A captain takes risks, and thats one thing Janeway did!

alex20020712

[31]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 7
    Shingo56 wrote:
    She got her crew across a 75 year distance in only 7 years...

No, she did not. Future Janeway did, with technology from the Future. Without the advanced weapons and shields, they would have been crushed like a bug. Did I mention she was from the Future?

Shingo56 wrote:
    Borg augmentations, a ridiculous amount of first contacts, pragmatism while keeping your values. Doing what you gotta do for your crew. That's what its all about.

No, a Starfleet captain is expected to sacrifice his or her ship and crew in order to prevent damage to other civilizations, prevent the ship from falling into enemy hands, and so on. Both the captain and the crew knows this. It is part of the job. The crew does not come first.
    Edited on 06/13/2007 2:35pm

thedirtyberk

[32]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 5

Well, this is the quintessential ST question, isn't it? The one that will keep the candles burning through the night in nerderies around the world. (Before you get uptight that I just called us all nerds, I'll remind you we're posting about fictional SF characters on an internet forum and I mean that with the utmost respect.)

Anyway, I think the results are a little biased given this is a Voyager thread. To me, the question, "Who's the best?" means "Who best embodies the spirit and ideals of Starfleet and the Federation... and still kicks some ass from time to time?" By process of elimination:

(5) Archer - C'mon. It's not really even fair to put Sam Beckett in this discussion. Maybe it's that the nature of his show doesn't lend itself to a fair comparison. He's a nice guy. I think he means well. I'd love to have a beer with him and watch some water polo, but he's not the one guy of all time I'd give my best ship to and let him run around the universe.

(4) Kirk - He's a sentimental favorite, but he uses copies of the Prime Directive when they run out of toilet paper. How many fatherless children are out there on different worlds as a result of his free-wheeling "cultural contamination?"

(3) Sisko - He's really good, but alot of the things that make him a great character lead to his downfall in this discussion. Sometimes you're really not sure where his priorities lie and, as someone else said, he's got alot of personal baggage that can interfere with his duties.

(2) Janeway - See other pro-Janeway posts. All very good points.

(1) Picard - He's the man. Integrity, loyalty, leadership, honesty, unwavering sense of duty, haughty accent... he's got it all. The Great Negotiator could convince the Nagus to abdicate and take a job at the United Way. Picard detractors like to say he's not tough enough. One of the earlier posts called him a sissy. I wouldn't call Worf's Cha'Dlch on the Klingon homeworld a sissy. Most of that talk is because his series was about ideas, not constant conflict and struggle. (The closest series to Roddenberry's vision, imo.) But, if you need proof that he's tough enough for any situation, go watch Chain of Command. I don't know if anyone else could go through weeks of torture in a Cardassian Gitmo and still find the nerve to say to his tormentor, "In spite of all you have done to me, I find you a pitiable man." That's where it's at.

lennydonkey

[33]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 12
    My "favorite" captain is Sisko. For all the usual reasons people site, complex relationships, great leader, kind of a bad-ass. But I think the "best" would have to be Picard. He pretty much embodies all the Federation wants to be.

trekgirldana

[34]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    I like Janeway, but my vote has to go to James T. Kirk, the definitive Starship captain!

RCT537580

[35]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    Kirk is sexist, as is the original Star Trek. He ia a womanizer, anf the women are skimpily dressed. The first season of TNG was similar with the way woman were portrayed, with the exception of the doctor. Pacard was a stick in the mud. He was stuck on archaelogy, with no character development until he was separated from the Borg. Sisko was too domesticated with too many story lines about his son. Jameway, by far, was the best. She stuck to her principles, even in the face of dissent from Chakotay, Tuvok, Torres and Paris' insubordination. She demanded discipline and maintained the prime directive even when Kirk, Sisko and Picard would have found a way around it.

wingsabre

[36]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 13
    My personal opinion.

1.) Sisko, the builder. Most human captain, and a vital tactician. Would die to save his crew.
    2.) Picard, the delegator. Most diplomatic captain, able to see a compromise when there may be none. So respected that the crew would die for him if he told them to.
    3.) Kirk, the explorer/driver/quarterback. Most able to deliver a Hail Mary when needed. Exudes so much confidence that his crew loves to work for him.
    4.) Janeway, the hall monitor/nun. Most by the rules in person, and breaks them when no one watches. Would force her crew to follow the rules, breaking some when she had to.
    5.) Archer, the papa's boy/child. Most child like and idealistic, tries too hard, and is able to build bonds in ways only a child can do. Crew listens to him because he's their 80's yuppy captain. (I personally think Ent really messed up by not doing Archer right from the start. They tried to make him Kirk+Picard, instead of trying to define him as his own man. He started out living in the legacy of his father rather than setting his own. Ent should have been a series that's fun, explained the past, and slowly got darker as the Romulan war approaches, but it was instead very sterile and stagnant. Cotto almost saved the series before it humiliated itself out of existence, by Berman and Bragg screwing the pooch in the end.)

cvjrbdjkasfi

[37]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 7

Prymelord wrote:
    Think about it..... Kirk and Janeway were basically doing the same thing, there JOB!!!......BOLDLY GOING WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE....

Janeway's job was to back up Tuvok's spying on the maquis (hence the reason why she was sent to find him), not exploration.

LaydeeLiberty wrote:
    . . . right back to the Omega Quadrant.

Alpha. Beta. Gamma. Delta.

There is no Omega quadrant.

hillsongchick

[38]Oct 25, 2008
    • level: 5
    Same as the other thread i pick janeway anyday but i would pick kirk as second, picard was boring.

finalcry

[39]Feb 7, 2009
    Janeway all the way!

pferreira86

[40]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 17
    I vote Picard although considering this is a Voyager forum I'm expecting most people will probably vote Janeway.
    Edited on 02/09/2009 5:29am