Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

Poll: Best Star Trek Captain

Who is the best starring Captain from all Star Trek series.

seto1

[41]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    To me it is archer,he was a captain during a difficult period and help make many of the rules that made great captians
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stvoyman

[42]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 4

I voted for Jean-Luc Picard, but Janeway is a close second.

Kate Mulgrew really sold the role for me - she is an amazing actress.

fairuser

[43]Feb 28, 2009

I hate to be rude, but Janeway? Are you all high? She is annoying. She's weak. She overacts.

Is this some feminist thing? How on earth is she leading this poll?

cvjrbdjkasfi

[44]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    It's because many of the people on this forum only watch Voyager (I don't mean they don't watch the others at all, just that the other shows only get brief viewings compared to Voyager).

pferreira86

[45]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 17
    If you ask people to vote for their favourite Star Trek captain on a forum for Star Trek: Voyager expect the majority to vote for Captain Janeway. It's like that on every TV show website. IMDB is like that as well unfortunately.

rondasexton

[46]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 11

Janeway was the best. She was the perfect balance of hard as nails and caring for her crew.

Kirk was to impulsive and a major skirt chaser.

Picard--too stiff and formal

Sisko--too aloof

Archer--okay, but a little scruffy

darkbunni

[47]May 31, 2009
    • level: 6

I voted for Picard, but Janeway is a very close second. And considering that I only saw my first ever episode of Voyager today, that's saying something.

There were four episodes showing back to back and I saw them and now I'm kinda hooked. Darn it, I always thought I was such a TNG girl!

Tiberius86

[48]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 2

Well, at least Sisko is a choice here. I voted for him, because I really felt he was the best actor out of all the captains (yes, I know Stewart is Shakespearean trained, but for the specific parts they play in Star Trek). And the severely-underrated DS9 was the best written out of any of the shows. I can admit that, even though I grew up on classic Trek.

1. Sisko

2. Kirk

3. Janeway

4. Picard

Archer doesn't even make my list.

A more interesting question might be, favorite Captain in all of Starfleet. Would Captain Spock make the list? He was a captain at one time. It could include any captain from any episode of all the series. Hmmm . . .

MattiasSvensson

[49]Dec 28, 2009
    When it comes to acting Patrick Stewart is in a league of his own. The best series and the best captain.

ChipsTheButler

[50]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 9
    Sisko. His ability to deal with such opposing factions is admirable.

Parsec54

[51]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 20

This may be a Voyager board, but I still voted for Picard as the best captain. I would think since the Federation is always trying to downplay the fact that Starfleet is not supposed to be a military organization, you'd needcaptains that would embody what it WAS supposed to be for, and Picard loved exploration, which is, after all, what the whole point was supposed to be. And when you're out there, not knowing what you will run into, you have to have someone who knows the importance of diplomacy; otherwise you probably won't last beyond your first or second alien species you run into. The thinking that every problem will be solved by bigger guns is what makes this world such a terrible place to live in these days. It could NOT last to make it to such an enlightened position as the Federation embraces if it were to behave that way, constantly trying to outshoot or intimidate every culture it met. You need to build bridges and understanding. Picard knew that violence had to be only as a last resort, and he abhorred having to take it, but he knew when it had to be done. He just wasn't willing to use it until EVERY other available option had been exhausted. If that's what it means to be "a sissy" as one other poster called him, then I'm afraid the world could use more sissies. I stand behind my vote for Picard as the best captain.

myrddinde

[52]Nov 28, 2011
    • level: 2
    Wasn't a fan of the original series many episodes were kind of bad for my taste ... but loved STNG, Picard is the military leader type I have seen ... with sisco as close second ... then Janeway but even the cowboy Archer wasn't bad ...

I was officer in the army when STNG ran in germany and the show always gave me something to think about, for example when troy wanted to become bridge officer, etc ...

But Picard is just how I'd imagine the perfect captain.

DaveKozlowski

[53]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 1

No question it's Picard. Some of these Captains don't even make it into the top 5 (http://kooztop5.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-5-starfleet-captains.html)!

ChipsTheButler

[54]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    Yeah, a list that includes a captain that took up a fraction of a movie and one TOS episode, with little to back up the arguments. Terrible article.

blackmage8472

[55]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 15

Best actor: Patrick Steward (Picard). Runners up: Avery Brooks (Sisko) and Kate Mulgrew (Janeway).

Worst: Scott Bakula (Archer)... seriously every episode where his character is acting is just awful.

Best Mission: Survive the Delta Quadrant (Janeway). Runner up: Defeat the Dominion (Sisko).

Worst: All the 5-year missions...

Best Enemy: Dukat (Sisko)... he was just more real than any other enemy. Runner up: The Borg Queen (Janeway)... Picard doesn't really get her as a major enemy, Q showed up more often.

Worst: Selik (Archer)... pretty much by default.

TopAccomplishment: Defeated the Dominion and saved Bajor from godlike entities (Sisko). Runner up: Crippled the Borg (Janeway).

Worst: There isn't really one.

Gotta go with Sisko. Anyone who disagrees, I point you the the episode "In the Pale Moonlight."

lillinda

[56]Oct 25, 2012
    • level: 1

Wow, Janeway - that suprises me. I liked her very much as a captain (not from the beginning) but never heard of anybody else. Most of my friends call her weak. And name just the fact, that she is a woman