Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

wait, so Kes broke up with Neelix???

Dirk13

[1]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 16

I was watching the recent airings of the show, and saw something rather curious, in the episode "darkling" it was suddenly just mentioned passingly that Kes broke up with Neelix....whaaaat? Ok, clearly this wasnt well written in because i had no idea what it was talking about, figuring considering some of the false alarms and high litmus tests their relationship had had that a breakup thing would be drawn out and memorable.

then i did a google search and find that the likely event it was refering to was from the episode "Warlord", but she was possesed by someone else when she did that, did they not even bother to re-examine that? I dont know, i just disregarded that after the episode had ended since they didnt revisit it and there seemed to be no grief over it after.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puzzlingpixie

[2]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 12
    Kes breaks up with Neelix in "Warlord" because she says she didn't realize relationships could be any other way than the one she had. We all assumed that this was just because she was under the influence of the alien, however, I believe later on sometime in a following episode it is briefly discussed between Kes and Neelix. She says that she still wants her space and she wants to try and figure things out or something like that. She sees things from a new perspective since being inhabited and wants to know what it is like to be in a different kind of relationship.

Neelix says he understands and there is no long drawn out grieving scene as one might expect. In fact, the entire thing is sort of brushed over. It may have simply been an easier way to tie up some of the loose ends that would have been left when the "Kes" character was written out (For example, if Neelix was still dating her when she ascended it may have caused him some trauma, he may have wanted to wait and see if she would ever come back, and he probably wouldn't have felt free to date others so quickly). After the breakup Kes moves on rather quickly and meets a traveler that she considers leaving with (though doesn't leave with in the end). This is meant for us to conclude that Kes has decided to move on.

It was not written too terribly clear and not given a large amount of emphasis. However, many people, I believe, were just annoyed by Kes and didn't care if her and Neelix broke up because they believed Neelix deserved a lot less of an annoying girlfriend.

Dirk13

[3]Mar 3, 2008
    ", I believe later on sometime in a following episode it is briefly discussed between Kes and Neelix."

so when did thet happen? since i just saw the episode where they offhandedly mentioned the break up, several episodes after the one she did it under influence, with no real discussion about it at all in between.

Delia_35

[4]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 8

I *believe* at one of the conventions one of them (Jennifer or Ethan) said they filmed an "official breaking-up" scene, but they didn't use it. ::shrugs:: Voyager seemed like the minimalism. Cause when Tom and B'Elanna --SPOILER>got married they didn't show it because it was already shown in another episode... I remember people being upset about that. I remember Robbie being asked about it at a convention and he just kinda shrugged and said he didn't get it either....

EDIT: BTW, I don't remember that ending scene with Kes and Neelix either. Was it on the DVDs? Maybe they included that deleted scene....

Edited on 03/06/2008 7:20pm

puzzlingpixie

[5]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    I can't seem to remember when it was referenced...uhhh between that episode up to the next five would be my guess as to the range. However, I may just be crazy and not correctly remembering it correctly. Just take comfort in the fact that we were all right there with you, when you thought...."huh?"

I like your Moogle icon by the way.

Dirk13

[6]Mar 8, 2008
    so they used that scene somewhere then? where? i dont recall seeing it so far anyway and thus far the whole break up thing was one scene explained as not being her real feelings capped off by one single mentioning of it in passing some episodes later, making it in the end for real.

p.s. i made the moogle icon myself, it's in the GS avatar list.