Star Trek: Voyager Forums

UPN (ended 2001)

Who is glad Kes is gone?

lennydonkey

[21]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    I felt like a lot of Voyager fans when the show was on it's initial run. Kes was dull, unrelatable, etc. But I have to say that after watching the first few seasons again on spike she really grew on me. She seemed to be to only one who showed genuine wonder at the cool things they saw and places they went.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

in-correct

[22]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 2

I like Seven, and will always enjoy her bad habits of waking The Captain up in the middle of the night...  

I never liked Kes because her people have a very short life span.   But I didn't see any episodes with her hair longer. I only saw pictures of her.... How long was she like that?

Delia_35

[23]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 8
    in-correct wrote:

I never liked Kes because her people have a very short life span. But I didn't see any episodes with her hair longer. I only saw pictures of her.... How long was she like that?

Eight episodes. From "Before & After" to "The Gift"

LaydeeLiberty

[24]May 2, 2007
    • level: 1

I actually did not mind Kes in the Voyager series. . . BUT

I think her telepathic abilities should have been developed very early on and the writers should have dropped the Nelix and Kes relationship so they had the time to  focus on her alien talents lying dormant. This was the gold here and they did not bother to mine this buried treasure enough to keep Kes' character relevant.

The writers had such untapped potential to develop these abilities which would have really contributed to the show , made her character much more interesting and added a whole new dimension to the entire series. Instead they focused on Kes and Nelix's personal relationship which honestly was usually BORING, annoying or just distracting. I was stunned that the writers dropped the ball and took the wrong direction with Kes' character development. It was frustrating and disappointing when they took this path, when there was an obviously better choice to pursue. Sometimes the writers appear not to really LOVE science fiction, when they make bad character choices like this one, or be in such a hurry they don't develop the obvious to those who just love science fiction.  

I really don't think it was necessary to completely write Kes out of the entire series.

spockish

[25]May 6, 2007
    Sure she was a litle too goody two shoes and sure she was better in seasons one and two than in season three, but Kes was cute and sometimes it's nice to have someone that is a bit innocent and naive. I miss Kes, though Seven of Nine is a wonderful character as well.

TimDrakeRobin

[26]May 6, 2007
    • level: 26

I liked her. She had her place and her duties, but she was also a little restricted by them. I really liked her in Season 3 when she really started to grow up and was becoming less and less like the naive girl from "Caretaker"

beowulf579 wrote:
    Now for a Kes story they could have had a time episode around her more. Imagine if she had a "time hopping" episode like Picard did at the end of TNG.
    She kind of did. Before and After.

weparker

[28]May 8, 2007
    I liked Kes at first, but over time her character flat-lined.  I never got drawn in to the whole discovering her powers thing.  Seems like she could've been an interesting character having a short life-span, working in hydroponics, discovering the universe around her in a naive way and so forth.  But, for some reason, it just didn't happen.  Also, that superior attitude and monotone voice of hers became eventually became really annoying.

TimDrakeRobin

[29]May 19, 2007
    • level: 26
    weparker wrote:
    I liked Kes at first, but over time her character flat-lined.  I never got drawn in to the whole discovering her powers thing.  Seems like she could've been an interesting character having a short life-span, working in hydroponics, discovering the universe around her in a naive way and so forth.  But, for some reason, it just didn't happen.  Also, that superior attitude and monotone voice of hers became eventually became really annoying.
    I can see that, and don't forget her horrible scream

kit220

[30]May 22, 2007
    • level: 8
    I for one am very glad to have seen the character of Kes to go.  I mostly either ignored her or tolerated her character while she was on the show.  I just couldn't stand her self righteous attitude. 

Wouter153

[31]May 23, 2007
    • level: 5
    I didn't like kes anyway i hate her

RCT537580

[32]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    Kes had great potential and could have worked to get Voyager closer to home. With better writing her character's developing abilities would have served Voyager well. Her relationship with Neelix held her back. She did not love him; she only felt gratitude for him. Neelix should have been the one to be written out. Of all the series I have watched, he was, by far, the most annoying. I skip all stories featuring him. And Kes' fury at the captain in season seven was so out of character, it just did not work. The captain was her surrogate mother and never did anything to cause harm to Kes. It was Neelix who convinced Kes to go on the trip to Earth on Voyager. He was a jealous, loud mouthed busy body.

macadamwest

[33]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 3
    See, I will disagree to the poster right above me.

I don't think Neelix convinced her, I think after the whole Kazon/Oocompa thing on Caretaker she didn't need a lot of convincing.

jrsgalaxy

[34]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 14
    kit220 wrote:
      I just couldn't stand her self righteous attitude. 
    yes i will agree with her having a self righteous attitude. after all they were spoiled and pampered by the caretaker. what was so special about the oocompa that they had to be taken care of. Did the caretaker create them? that seems to be only logical conclusion. And just really didnt see anything special in her character. and i guess i just couldnt buy the idea that a whole species lives only ten years and 15 in the later oocompas they meet. Good work Voy for replacing her with 7. Even though she was crude ,her contributions to the ship and crew were invaluable. It was almost like having data back except for the not trying to become more human and self motivation to be more sociable. the doctor really had to push her in to that. well then again maybe thats how Data himself started out. People complaining to him to be more sociable .Who knows

Ko-Enshaku

[35]Jul 2, 2007
    By the time Kes left, I was pretty much sick of her and glad to see her go. I enjoyed her husky voice and the mere sight of her, but sometime after "Warlord" I lost what little interest I had left for the character. She became too powerful too quickly. They were too much into the quick fix and the easy answers rather than having a long character arc that actually said something. By the time "Gift" aired, her character seemed hollow and I was rather pleased that she left and I actually felt nothing after losing the character.

JohnQ1234

[36]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 1

I wasn't happy to see Kes go, but I'd rather have Seven than Kes any day.

I liked Kes' personality and I was really happy for Voyager because the Doctor had trained additional medical personnel (shows how much I'm into it).

Also, I really liked the episode where Kes was going backward through time.

sporkman5353

[37]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 18

Seven was alot better than kes her background story was much better

mle06

[38]Jul 27, 2007

I actually really like Kes. When I was first introduced to the series, not too long ago, I didn't have much interest until Seven showed up and then I really started to get into it. So, I really didn't know too much about Kes but thought she had something to do with why I wasn't initially enthralled with Voyager. At the beginning of this summer, Spike started the series over and I could see from season one on. Kes grew on me, a lot. But, I totally agree with many of the other posters here, they dropped the ball on her character development, big time. Her relationship with Neelix was boring and gross. By the end of season 3, I wanted someone to finish off Neelix. His constant jealousy and overbearing attitude toward her brought the whole show down. Every other episode he was filled with paranoia about Kes leaving him. Once she did leave, his character got a lot better because that annoying storyline wasn't holding him back. A breakup after season one or so would have done the trick.

That being said, I love Seven, she's my favorite. I find her character infinitely interesting. She has to learn all of the basics we take for granted all while dealing with a lot of interpersonal issues we have and operate from an extremely sophisticated technical level. Too bad Kes still wasn't around, if done right, the interaction between her and Seven could have been great. Total opposite ends of the spectrum.

macadamwest

[39]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    You know, I'm a lot like the poster above me, Seven and Janeway really drew me into Voyager but when I bought the season DVD's and started watching from season 1 (even though I am now on season 3) I have watched this Kes charactor and I can seriously not figure out why anybody doesn't like her. Maybe it is the charactor development, who knows?

I think that Jennifer Lein (is that the actress?) is incredibly talented especially after I saw the episode warlords. I do think that maybe the telepathic abilities that she was trying to accomplish was not very fitting to the charactor but I really think she was an asset to the show.

thedirtyberk

[40]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 5

I agree with many of these posts that Kes (and Jennifer Lien) got a raw deal on the development of that particular character. I thought I was going to hate Kes from everything I had heard before watching the show, but she really wasn't that bad. She just got no help from the writers... and Wardrobe and Makeup didn't figure out to put her into a purple Velour jumpsuit and let her have some hair until it was too late to salvage the whole deal.

Actually, LaydeeLiberty says it best in post #24. That post sums up my thoughts exactly.

As an aside, I'm actually part of the incredibly small minority of people that liked "Warlord." (Like the previous poster, Macadamwest.) I thought it gave Lien a chance to do something very different and, even though the episode wasn't spectacular, she proved she could do it.

Don't get me wrong, the premise behind Seven of Nine's character is great. Her... attributes... speak for themselves. But, I don't think they HAD to get rid of the idea of Kes to pursue that idea. For us fans, it didn't have to be a competition between one character and the other. But, the producers of most shows probably don't agree with me on that.

Edited on 07/28/2007 1:15am