Star Trek: Voyager

Hope And Fear

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM May 20, 1998 on UPN

• Hope and Fear

Hope and Fear was a superb episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode and season four finale. The story was pretty good and it forced the Captain and Seven to ask themselves important questions. There was a lot of character development for them both. The alien whom Voyager encountered was interesting and turned out to have secret motives of his own. I enjoyed the scene where Arturis came into Borg space. I look forward to watching the next season of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!!!

• If you like this story, it's because you've seen it a thousand times. Ever since movies were invented. The Villain kidnaps the female and whisks her off to her demise. A chase ensues. The female is rescued. The Villain meets his own fat

The Villain kidnaps the female and whisks her off to her demise. A chase ensues. The female is rescued. The Villain meets his own fate. Question is: Do they do make this "old story" work? My thinking is that they do.

In this case, a seemingly innocent alien is offered a ride on Voyager. He is an expert on languages including computer languages. Sometime ago, Voyager had received a message from the Alpha Quadrant where parts of it were highly degraded. The alien helps decrypt the messages.

The decrypted messages point Voyager to a place where there is Starship waiting to taking them back to the Alpha Quadrant. It uses a new "slip-stream technology" that will get them home in 3 months. They are to abandon Voyager and hope aboard this new ship.

Janeway is suspicious of both the new ship and the alien. She has a problem with coincidences. (I'd say the idea of sending an unmanned ship to the Delta Quadrant doesn't sound like something Starfleet would do. I think they couldn't resist exploring and at best, they'd send a crew to swap ships). She keeps working on the message while having an engineering crew go over the new ship thoroughly. She also wants the slip-stream technology added to Voyager's systems. Turns out Janeway is right. The alien fabricated the Starfleet message. The supposed rescue ship is really the alien's ship. Janeway gets most of her crew off the alien ship. However, she and Seven of Nine are trapped aboard it.

The alien takes off with Janeway and Seven back to Borg space. He really wanted to send all of the Voyager crew to the Borg to be assimilated. He's satisfied with only capturing Janeway. (The Villain kidnaps the female).

Voyager pursues using their own slip-stream. Janeway and Seven try to take control of the alien ship but fail to stop the alien. (The Chase)

Voyager rescues them just in time and the alien lands himself smack in front of the Borg who promise to assimilate him. (The rescue and dealing with the Villain).

Slip-stream will surface later in Voyager episodes but for the time being, it's viewed as not helpful to getting them home.
  • A great episode that loses points for the strangely pessimistic ending.

Let's start with the ending first.

Voyager has just used a new warp drive that could get them home in 3 months. It's on their ship. It's essentially Janeway's holy grail. The explanation for why they can't use it anymore is... because they can't. But they'll keep working on it. Which means we'll never hear about it again.

The ending detracts from an otherwise excellent story, about a vengeful alien whose race was destroyed (arguably) by Voyager's assistance of the borg. Perfect title for the episode as well. The Borg cameo at the end was nice... if just a little terrifying.
  • Paris and Neelix come back from a trading colony with a passenger named Arturis. Arturis knows over 4,000 languages. Well, Arturis needs a ride to the next star system.

Paris and Neelix come back from a trading colony with a passenger named Arturis. Arturis knows over 4,000 languages. Well, Arturis needs a ride to the next star system. Janeway asks Arturis if he could help decode the message that Starfleet sent before the relay stations got destroyed. It seems Starfleet has sent a message. They have sent a starship to the delta quadrant. Janeway sends an away team to investigate. It is a ship known as the Dauntless. Janeway has a hunch it may be to good to be true. You know she may be right.
  • I wondered when they would do something like this...

Voyager was pivital in driving Species 8472 out from Borg space, and from the rest of the galaxey... which meant that the Borg would retain at least some of the homeworlds they'd over taken. Not having at least one species come after Voyager for this reason would have done more harm than good, in my opinion.

With that said, revenge never seems to be enough once handed out... but still, people still want to dish out revenge. It is apart of human nature, of course, and aparently apart of other species as well... but it's how we handle the urge to exact revenge that helps mature our species...

That's not to say that certain events deserve revenge, but who decides it's okay to dish it out? You and me? Or some higher power?

Just something to think about...