Star Trek: Voyager

Human Error

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 07, 2001 on UPN

7.4
  • Human Error

Human Error was a good episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I liked watching it because it was a story about Seven and her quest to be more human. The story was decent and the acting was great but the episode just didn't have the feel or appeal to keep me hooked. I basically watched the episode as I was doing other things and still got it. This seemed like a filler episode but with some character development. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!

• Seven is in the holodeck playing piano to the rhythm of a metronome. Her hair is pulled down. Her Borg implants are gone. She attends a holodeck version of Torres's baby shower. She appears fully human.

Seven is in the holodeck playing piano to the rhythm of a metronome. Her hair is pulled down. Her Borg implants are gone. She attends a holodeck version of Torres's baby shower. She appears fully human. In reality at this moment in time, Seven is needs to report to duty. Mysterious subspace charges rock Voyager. Seven is needs to locate where these charges are and where they came from. After this task is done. Seven goes back to the holodeck. Seven then indulges in a holographic version of Chakotay. She keeps going to the holodeck. It almost kills her. I rate this episode a 9.2
  • Seven of Nine experiments with being human on the holodeck, to the detriment of her duties, and also her health. She also begins to explore a relationship with Chakotay

Seven of Nine was one of my very favourite characters on Voyager, and most of her episode were great, but this is my least favourite! For a start, having ANOTHER character become obsessed with the holodeck is just tired. I really REALLY hated that they paired her up with Chakotay in the last few episodes. Those two just made no sense at all, and it seemed they had run out of things for Chakotay to do in about season 2. The Borg emotion suppression chip MacGuffin was another weak plot line in my opinion. Season 7 has some great episodes. This wasn't one of them.
  • Pretty dreadful…

Pretty dreadful…

Stories about Seven coming to grips with her human side are usually interesting but this one is downright boring. She's using the holodeck to explore relations with the crew and a romantic involvement with Chakotay. The "romance" seems plodding and the scenes go on way too long. Either the chemistry between the performers isn't there or the writers don't know how to do "romance." Complicating things is that Seven seems to be addicted to the holodeck, leaving her post and spending hours there instead of performing her duties. Naturally, we also have to spend the time there with her which also seems like "hours" to us. For menace, the episode delivers up Voyager passing through a region of space that some unknown aliens are using as a testing range for their bombs. The explosions are causing damage to Voyager and Seven is expected to help identify where they're going to occur. Naturally, she doesn't do this because she's too busy boring us in the holodeck.

Janeway is unusually subdued about this merely questioning Seven's time and accepting her explanation of conducting physics research. After all, since Seven's implants have "gone wacky" in the past, Janeway should be more suspicious.

Eventually, with the help of the Doctor, Seven comes to realize that she's experiencing too many emotions and its shutting down her Borg implants. (Apparently this is the way the Borg auto-deactivates drones who are becoming too emotional). In the end, we come away with nothing. The "romance" wasn't real so it has no great meaning for anyone and whatever did happen could be done differently on the next boring trip to the halodeck.