Star Trek: Voyager

Initiations

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 04, 1995 on UPN

7.1
  • Father figure

This episode just made me fantasize about how Chakotay would make a good baby daddy if we decided to have kids one day....
  • Initiations

Initiations was a good episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I enjoyed watching this episode because there was action, character growth, and some good intrigue. Commander Chakotay was trying to honor his fathers spirit when a young Kazon doing something similar attacked him. This all lead down a some what predictable road though it was still fun to watch, especially as Captain Janeway herself was on the moon to find Chakotay. I thought the Kazon's have a very peculiar way, but it suits them. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!

• Made me want to go and watch DS9 instead.

Chakotay is attacked by a young Kazon but ends up saving his life on several occasion. There is not much more to the storyline and even though I am not ready to label this as a particularly bad episode, it wasn't very good either. Good nature characters can never be that interesting and therefore any episode which shows Starfleet in such heighten light is doomed. [spoiler] That Chakotay is willing to die at the end just to save the boys honor is somewhat an overkill. Come on - it must hurt like hell to be killed, and I'm sure that even if the doctor can revive you that it doesn't do you any good! Makes me puke!

What saved the episode was of course Aron Eisenberg as Kar (or Nog as we know him from DS9). His over acting is always fun along with his constant anger. He is enjoyable and it did a lot for this episode.

The Kazon seem to be Klingons of this Galaxy, almost to a fault. It is hard to understand that people that dress in 'left over' clothes have mastered space travels. Even for all my irritation of Chakotay's endless good will, and the rather thin storyline, they managed to make this an alright episode to watch.
  • Nog As Kazon

Very average or middle of the road episode in which nothing pivitol or groundbreaking develops in the story line, of the episode itself, as well as the story of Voyager as a whole.

I have never found the Chakotay heritage aspect of Voyager that interesting (the soul guide in a previous episode or the solitary "connecting" ritual performed in this episode) so right off the bat the story failed to generate much grabbing force for me. This personal preference aside, the actual kidnapping of Chakotay and him serving as "mentor" to the young Kazon just didn't seem that interesting or unique either. Very slow paced and "one-man army" in allowing a boy and one Starfleet officer to escape from the crew of a fair sized ship and battle minded race such as a the Kazon and very predictable Voyager saves the day ending. Would have been intersting if Chakotay had been kidnapped and somehow that story line was developed over the course of a couple of episodes with some kind of major story chaning event taking place.

Highlight of the episode is the unmistakable Nog taking on the role as the Kazon youth as well as the final showdown moment where he turns on the Kazon war hero to earn his name; it is kind of decided in the viewer's mind until that point that he is going to go along with the plan to fake Chakotay's death instead.
  • Janeway has granted Chakotay permission to use a shuttlecraft to perform a solitary Indian ritual to commemorating his father’s death. While Chakotay is performing the ritual he is rudely interrupted by a Kazon ship.

7.8
    Janeway has granted Chakotay permission to use a shuttlecraft to perform a solitary Indian ritual to commemorating his father’s death. While Chakotay is performing the ritual he is rudely interrupted by a Kazon ship. The Kazon ship is attacking Chakotay’s shuttlecraft. It seems Chakotay is inside Kazon-Ogla space. The attacker could have asked Chakotay to leave, but instead fires upon Chakotay’s shuttlecraft. Chakotay does destroy the Kazon ship. He beams aboard it’s one lone passenger. Now another Kazon ship shows up and abducts Chakotay’s shuttlecraft. The “Voyager” crew is now looking for Chakotay, but will they find him.
  • Not all that pivotal

7.3
    'Initiations', whilst not being a pivotal plot line in the 'Star Trek Voyager' saga, did provide us with useful insight into the Kazon. Learning more about Chakotay's people and the way they deal with the anniversary of death was interesting, but once again, not vital to the series as a whole. I'll admit that it was good to see Chakotay get back to his roots, as in the few episodes prior to this one, he was becoming a little one dimensional for my liking. Aron Einsberg did a great job of playing the Kazon boy Kar, although I found it a little unnerving that, when not looking at the screen, you could swear that Nog had just appeared on 'Voyager'. The angst and frustration felt by Kar were expertly portrayed as he struggled with the expectations thrust upon him by his people, despite only being 13 years of age.

All in all, 'Initiations' was really just another ordinary run of the mill episode in the ongoing Voyager saga. It had its moments, but overall I consider it to be a filler episode and nothing more.
  • Nog's Kazon Delta cousin has kidnapping hijinx with Chakotay.

Chakotay, after being to outfit a significantly superior tactical ability manages to be stupid enough to hand himself over to the enemy.

There is so much in this episode that is just pure cliche - the ship, being destroyed but Chakotay beaming away at the last minute. Voyager NEVER GIVING UP. The bluffing, the repeated attempts to let the Kazon boy regain his manhood.

This episode is extremely by the numbers... and really not too exciting. It almost had a TOS feel to it, running amongst the rocks. Half expecting a lizard man to jump out rather than the 80s rejects Kazon.

In any case, a guest star that really didn't add much to the show... It felt like he was channeling season one DS9 Nog and that really didn't do him any favours. All this episode did was make the Kazons seem more like orangey Klingon wannabes.

Half-expecting them to start harping on about honour and glory... they got pretty close. I guess the hair stopped them though. It seems to prevent cogent though.
  • Chakotay captures a young Kazon, and in teaching him about life, learns a little about himself in the process.

This was a very predictable and only marginally interesting episode. Chakotay is on a solo trip to honor his father with an Indian tradition, and in the process captures a young Kazon who in a way, has similar spiritual issues as himself. The slight twist at the end saved the episode, however I did find this one a disapointment overall. The moment Chakotay captures the boy, the fact that he will act as a sort of 'mentor' to the boy immediately becomes evident. Only time will tell if the kindness shown to the Kazon by Chakotay will be returned in the future, or if this episode was simply a vehicle for Chakotay's advancement as an upright and honorable character on the series.
  • While away on a shuttlecraft, Chakotay unknowingly enters the territory of the Kazon-Ogla, who send after him a young boy seeking to earn his name in battle.

I think Kenneth Biller did a tremendous job on this episode, despite having a pretty lame gang-of-thug villains to work with. To me, this is the only episode where the Kazon were the main villains (as opposed to Seska) that actually sheds light on their culture and way of life instead of just portraying them as stupid angry bullies that want nothing else but to steal your technology - certainly not the way most great Star Trek villains are like. Overall an only slightly above average episode that could have been a bit shorter.