Star Trek: Voyager

Innocence

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 08, 1996 on UPN

7.3
  • Tuvok + kids = magic! (or at least a sale for some story writer)

Tuvok babysits some alien kiddos in a planet-based episode that also features a first contact B story on the ship.

Teleplay writer Lisa Klink plays up the mystery of the children, and the child actors are rather good; but this "Tuvok as a parent" story just runs in place until its conclusion. Tuvok promises to look after the kids, the kids hug him. Tuvok tells a bedtime story, the kids hug him. Tuvok sings a lullaby, the kids hug him. Meanwhile, Janeway deals with a xenophobic race that's short on communication skills until it's time for the big reveal.

Both plots come together for a satisfying last act that almost makes up for the pedestrian journey to get there, but looking back at successful episodes with similar themes, they either have more to them (TNG's "Disaster") or spread out their science fiction twist instead of saving it for the end (TAS's "Yesteryear" and "The Counter-Clock Incident").

There is, however, something poignant about having what seems like the beginning of an association with someone suddenly turn out to be the end.

• Innocence

Innocence was a great episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it focused a little more on Tuvok as we discover he crash landed upon a moon or planet where he finds 3 children who claim their going to die. There was a lot of character development and moral questions raised in this episode. It was funny to watch Tuvok try to teach the children according to his Vulcan traditions and values. The title was truly pulled off in some of these scenes. The story behind what was really happening was pretty cool. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!!!

• Much more interesting and unpredictable than I expected.

After the first couple minutes, I figured I knew what this episode was about. Tuvok finds kids, protects kids from evil monster, kids love Tuvok, kids go home, the end. I'm glad it turned out differently. My only real issue was the quick "everyone's happy and sorry" resolution at the end. I thought Janeway abandoned her federation morals a bit quickly, and got forgiveness too easily from a private, angry species. Season 2 really hit a nice stride near the end; I'm hoping it continues into season 3. I also kind of hope Neelix dies. Then Kes will be single...
  • Very good episode for Tuvok, to show his ways of being a Vulcan, and understanding a new culture in the Star Trek world.

Tuvok crashed on a moon, and he finds 3 kids, who have been left for dead. Tuvok calms them down and protects them, and shows him some Vulcan ways along the ride. And there was only 1 plot twist, it was pretty good. It turns out that in reality, those 3 kids were left for dead, but its actually because they are old. And it's the culture's way of having them go in the after life. It was strange, but i liked it alot. And I don't think it was a bad episode at all. Watch it, Tuvok is impressive in this one.
  • here we see Tuvok alone, for the most part, and we see him evolve as both a character and a person/Vulcan.

First of all, I really think that Tim Russ has a wonderful singing voice for an actor. Either you can sing or you can act, there are very few that can pull off both.
    It's interesting to think how the Drayans can pull off their agin process. Too bad they don't go deeper into that at some point in any of the series. Who knows, maybe there will be a Star Trek: Delta Quadrant Missions series or something (hahaha... genius I am not..)
    Tuvok is usually portrayed as a cold Vulcan, and I suppose for the most part that he is, but here we see that he does care for his children, and misses his family, and that he is a wonderful father. He spent time singing to his children, playing music for them if they couldn't sleep.
    I wish there were more episodes that allowed for character developement like this one. They're always so few and far between.
  • Tuvok and Ensign Bennet crash land on an uninhabited moon. Bennet has suffered massive damage to his spinal column. Tuvok lacks the medical supplies to save him. The “Voyager” is unable to help due to communication interference.

Tuvok and Ensign Bennet crash land on an uninhabited moon. Bennet has suffered massive damage to his spinal column. Tuvok lacks the medical supplies to save him. The “Voyager” is unable to help due to communication interference. Tuvok see a child hiding in the bushes. The child is frightened. The child tells the other children it is okay to come out. The children are frightened their parents have died and so have some of their friends. Meanwhile, on “Voyager” a first contact is occurring with the Drayon people. They are so anxious to get this over with.
  • After crashing to a planetoid, Tuvok is forced to deal with nervous, abandoned children looking for protection. They require perhaps more than Tuvok can offer.

I really enjoyed this episode. Its not just the twisted ending, but it provides a rare glimpse into the world of Vulcans. It is interesting to see how Tuvok reacts to human-like children. One misconception of Vulcans is there ability to offer things like comfort in spite of comfort-required actions in life like bringing up children.
  • After crash-landing on an alien moon, Tuvok encounters three children, the only survivors of a crash, who claim that they were sent there to die.

7.2
    BEWARE OF SPOILERS!
    I believe this is the first episode that Lisa Klink wrote all to herself. Sufficely to say she got better ideas later in the series, but this is still a good character-driven episode, showing us that despite his cold personality and deeply buried emotions, Tuvok can care for others. The episode ran a little long, and the idea of a species whose aging process is reversed seems a bit silly to me (are they born with white hair or not?) but I guess not enough information was given to dismiss its credibility. Overall, a filler episode (which is to be expected after the special-effects-heavy "Deadlock") with no extraordinary performances by the guest or main actors (I recommend you mute it when Tim Russ sings 'Falor's journey', which seems to take longer to sing then it did to write), but still worth watching.