Star Trek: Voyager

Learning Curve

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM May 22, 1995 on UPN

• They finally confront the issue of Maquis and Starfleet difficulty to work together, while ending the season in unexciting episode.

Though I'm glad that we finally get to see that this melting together of Maquis and Starfleet is somewhat addressed, it was an episode we should have seen much earlier in the season. As some frictions are becoming apparent Tuvok is tasked to train selected members of the Maquis. The idea being to help them understand what drives the Starfleet personnel and hopefully by that help them further integrate and accept themselves as part of the crew. On the side we finally witness Neelix cooking result in some rather unfortunate side effects for the ship. I am just surprised that he hasn't killed anyone yet :)

While the episode was needed in order to help us understand that the Maquis and Starfleet still have problems, this episode was pretty boring. Tuvok, as nice as he is as Kathryn advisory, is simply too boring to hold up an entire episode. His logic is at times so childish, that even Neelix understands better what is going on by simply observing Tuvok. The four candidates from the Maquis did little to help us understand them, but rather left you to think that they were in general pretty pathetic lot. The Maquis should be hardened rebels, and shouldn't sound like complaining idiots. They should also be at times much smarter than Starfleet, and that status not only left to B'Elanne and Chakotey. It was alright to watch, but did not leave you excited to see the season return.

SEASON 1: Few words about season 1. It had all the elements of a show that had nowhere to go. Having come up with a simple idea in order to allow for different kind of universe, i.e. sending them light years away from home, the season still used conventional Star Trek stories. There was not a single story (beyond the caretaker) that required them to be far away from home! No new elements are explored, and the few races we encounter weak and boring at best. If this series wouldn't have had Neelix and the Doctor I would have disliked it from the start. Now I know it does get better, but it still leaves me to wonder what the script writers were thinking during this first season. It was like they had no spunk, but just went by some formula writing, never stepping out of their comfort zones. Having ended the season on this episode, I'm surprised that it got enough following to carry on to season 2.