Star Trek: Voyager

Lineage

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 2001 on UPN

• Star Trek, an issue-based drama criticized for being "philosemitic" tackles the issue of male circumcision for the only time in its run

When I saw first saw this show I was blown-away! Star Trek has dealt with just about every ethical from every possible angle in one episode or another, but this is the first time that the show blatantly dealt with the controversial issue of neonatal male circumcision.

Neonatal male circumcision began as a religious practices, but was later accepted by the medical community for similar reasons to those B'Elanna uses justify geneticly resequencing her daughter. That is, the redundant skin could cause more problems than good. When the Doctor analyses her claim and finds it to be invalid, she reprograms the doctor to believe otherwise. This is similar to real-life claims that physicians of Jewish, Muslim and Christian faiths, all of which were raised to believe that male circumcision was beneficial may be biased (or culturally programmed) in favour of claims of the procedure's medicinal value.

A very brilliant and subtle way to explore the issue without bringing up the controversy that circumcision itself often does when brought to the small screen.
  • Boring. Where's the suspense?

Boring. Where's the suspense?

This story really gets into Torres' problems with being half Klingon . She and Paris are informed that they've conceived a child. It's going to be a girl and will have a common Klingon spinal defect which the Doctor can correct. However, Torres would like to eliminate more Klingon genes in the child. She bases this on her own Klingon/human childhood and the difficulties she faced.

Ho Hum. There's no suspense here. I suppose Torres' childhood provides insight into her ultimate character but it would seem to have played out better earlier in the series. Also, what happens to her child is totally in her future control and not dependent on what happened or didn't happen to her as a child.

Bottom line…. Boring…
  • Completely pointless; a total waste of time.

2.8
    A 100-word review will be tough, since that's more effort than was put into this script.

This episode focused on B'ellana whining, crying, complaining, and being otherwise irrational. She commits a major act of mutiny and doesn't even get a stern warning.

I'm amazed at the positive reviews; this was so boring and ridiculous it definitely falls into my bottom 3 Voyager episodes of all time. It's like the entire thing was an in-joke about the show's strange character development tendencies. Also, this episode could have been condensed to around 10 minutes. I can only watch Paris and B'ellana fight for so long.
  • Lineage

Lineage was a superb episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot of character development for B'Elanna. It was fun to learn that she ispregnant and Tom will be a father. The story was a great way to explore anxieties of being a new parent and reconciling our own childhoods with the beginning of a new phase in life. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!

• Powerful, emotional storyline with a solid ethical problem, good insights into character personalities, and excellent acting. Kleenex a must.

WHAT'S GOOD:

*** Fantastic evolution of the Tom-B'Elanna relationship. You wouldn't think it would get much better after "Drive," but it does. The way they face the conflict is perfectly in line with their traits and comes across as believable and easy to follow.
    *** While parenthood has always been a major theme in Star Trek, this is one of way too few times ST has faced issues of pregnancy, so it's quite welcome.
    *** Great role for the Doctor as well as B'Elanna and Tom. It would have been easy to reduce this story to a redundant parental soliloquy and to forget (as usual) the third, chiefly important party in such ethical decisions: the physician.
    *** Excellent writing all-around, sensational direction, and very good music (especially in the key scene) to boot. One of the best Voy episodes also from a technical point of view.

WHAT'S NOT-SO-GOOD:

*** As reported in the Trivia section of this episode's main page, there are some inconsistencies with what was previously affirmed in ST about genetic procedures. This is, however, quite forgiveable.
    *** The actual ethical implications of genetic resequencing could have used a little more developing, but the authors chose to focus more on the emotional/human side of the characters. It is an understandable choice, albeit a somewhat bitter one for the ethicists among us.

Considering that this whole plot line was written in order to justify actress Roxann Dawson's real-life pregnancy, this is a superb episode. Usually such ploys end up being disgustingly out-of-character and painful to watch (see DS9), but Lineage was just amazingly well done.
  • A powerful tear-jerker episode, with some great character development for B'Elanna

This is one of science fiction's greatest strong points: the viewer is engaged in a fictional universe so when an episode like this comes along, they are forced to explore social/philosophical issues without even knowing it. And by setting up a similar situation and allowing the viewer to see and experience things first hand the results are usually more successful than being directly 'told' how they should think without really understanding why. Going back into B'Elanna's past as a child really allowed the viewer to experience what B'Elanna did, and I certainly felt for her every step of the way. Her experiences as a child were so awful that she had started to associate anything Klingon with the feelings of being alone, being an outcast and being betrayed- due to her father & the others. It's no coincidence that after her major development in this episode she begins to respect & embrace aspects of Klingon culture two episodes later in "Prophecy". This episode is a great mirror for society, often the young, white middle-class male doesn't understand what it is like to be singled out and made to feel like an outcast. Both Tom and B'Elanna's father play this part. B'Elanna's Dad tries to compare her being teased about being Klingon to him being called 'John Snore-ez' for falling asleep during class. Although he means well, B'Elanna tells him "it's not the same" and she's right. Tom's starry-eyed idealism is also met with the same annoyance: she tells him "that's easy for you to say, you're human". John and Tom's apparent lack of compassion for B'Elanna during the episode made me somewhat angry and made me feel for B'Elanna even more, which was no doubt the writers' intentions. They tried to comfort her but they just couldn't understand why she was so worked up about it .The 'message' of this episode could be seen as being about racism, discrimination or lack of compassion for others on a broader scale, either way hopefully this episode has made an impact on some people, I certainly enjoyed it
  • B'Elanna and Tom find out she's expecting and B'Elanna wants to change the baby's genes so she won't be Klingon.

An excellent episode. It is my favorite episode of all time. I absolutely love it. It was worth the hour of time I spent watching it. I can't wait to own the series and DVD, particularly Season Seven. I hope to do so very soon. I love the entire series.
  • It is morning on Voyager. Torres is in a good mood. Her mood quickly changes when she finds out Icheb is helping out in Engineering. She scolds Icheb for being there without her permission. She suddenly gets dizzy and drops to the floor.

It is morning on Voyager. Torres is in a good mood. Her mood quickly changes when she finds out Icheb is helping out in Engineering. She scolds Icheb for being there without her permission. She suddenly gets dizzy and drops to the floor. Icheb and Seven help her out. Icheb scans Torres and determines another life form is sharing the same body. Seven has her beamed to Sickbay. The Doctor scans Torres and says she is pregnant. He calls Paris to sickbay. The Doctor tells Paris he is a father. Torres and Paris have a lot of learning to do. I rate this episode a 9.7
  • such a great episode. you can't get any better than tom and b'elanna having a baby!

at the beginning of the episode b'elanna almost collapses and icheb mistakes an alien being inside of b'elanna for what is really her baby. once all the happiness and shock wears off then it starts to sink in that b'elanna's baby is part klingon and will have some forehead ridges. b'elanna starts going to great links to try to get the doctor to genetically alter her baby, against the wishes of tom. she even alters the doctor' program. all because she thinks tom will leave her just the way her father did. it shows a very vulnerable and open side of b'elanna. and it helps you to understand why b'elanna is the way she is. a great story!
  • i thought it was an awsome show its my favourite.

i thought it was and awsome show its my favourite one, i thought i was sad when b'elana found out that her child would have klingon featchers and b'elana was having flash backes of her life when she was a child and was getting teased about her klingon side. No one should be rude about anyone just because they look different.:)
  • Although there are no grandiose special effects in this episode (besides the holographic projections of the baby), this episode offers outstanding character development of B'Ellana Torres.

I am not saying that I am not a huge fan of the great visual effects and the awesome space fight scenes. However, it is this type of episode that really makes the characters more three dimensional. In a way, this and other Voyager episodes attempt to discuss a modern-day issue in lieu of the onset of medical advancement. Is it ethically or morally acceptable to perform genetic alterations to a fetus before it is born? Will mankind ever end this struggle with racial discrimination?

At the same time, we are allowed to dive deeper into the psyche of B’Elanna Torres, revealing some of her fears, her childhood memories, and her vulnerabilities. It is also great to see the character development between her and Tom Paris, making their bond seem more genuine.
  • By far my favorite episode in all of Voyager, "Lineage" centers around Tom and B'Elanna when they find out they're going to have a baby. We get a revealing glimpse into B'Elanna's painful childhood and see her finally begin to come to terms with it.

This is definitely my favorite episode in all seven seasons of Voyager. At the center is my favorite character, B'Elanna Torres. She and husband Tom Paris find out that they're going to have a baby. Everything is happy until she sees a holographic projection of what her daughter will look like and sees distinct forehead ridges...a Klingon trait that B'Elanna has always been sensitive about in herself. She begins to remember some painful moments of her own childhood, including being teased by her cousins because of her Klingon blood. Torres' sensitivity about being Klingon is no secret on the show, and has been at the center of several other episodes, but here we finally get to see why exactly she is so sensitive...she believes that her father left because he didn't like living with Klingons. The scene between her and Tom at the end is especially touching, when Tom realizes that she's afraid that he will leave her just like her father did. This is an episode that any girls who grew up without dads can probably relate to...the fear that all men will eventually abandon you. And in an unusual demonstration of male sensitivity (something I think is missing from most television shows), he picks up on her fears and helps alleviate them. This is an excellent episode for anyone to watch, even if they're not a fan of the show.