Star Trek: Voyager

Lineage

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 2001 on UPN

• By far my favorite episode in all of Voyager, "Lineage" centers around Tom and B'Elanna when they find out they're going to have a baby. We get a revealing glimpse into B'Elanna's painful childhood and see her finally begin to come to terms with it.

This is definitely my favorite episode in all seven seasons of Voyager. At the center is my favorite character, B'Elanna Torres. She and husband Tom Paris find out that they're going to have a baby. Everything is happy until she sees a holographic projection of what her daughter will look like and sees distinct forehead ridges...a Klingon trait that B'Elanna has always been sensitive about in herself. She begins to remember some painful moments of her own childhood, including being teased by her cousins because of her Klingon blood. Torres' sensitivity about being Klingon is no secret on the show, and has been at the center of several other episodes, but here we finally get to see why exactly she is so sensitive...she believes that her father left because he didn't like living with Klingons. The scene between her and Tom at the end is especially touching, when Tom realizes that she's afraid that he will leave her just like her father did. This is an episode that any girls who grew up without dads can probably relate to...the fear that all men will eventually abandon you. And in an unusual demonstration of male sensitivity (something I think is missing from most television shows), he picks up on her fears and helps alleviate them. This is an excellent episode for anyone to watch, even if they're not a fan of the show.