Star Trek: Voyager

Mortal Coil

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Dec 17, 1997 on UPN

7.1
  • A thinly vieled examination of religious beliefs masquerading as a sci-fi episode. Do the writers think they have the inside track to the knowldege of heaven and hell?

1.5
    God, I hate tv shows like this that start examining religious issues. First, who asked for that, and second, the treatment is always so sophmoric that it is NEVER satisfying.

While you could argue that Telix is another species, so what happens to his soul isn't the same as ours, it is obvious that this show is examing the question of loss of faith, and in particular, the loss of faith in a heaven.

This is obvious in the false dichotomy puposed for the resolution of Telix's confict. Either self annihilation in the face of a nihilistic existence, or acceptance of the irony of life for its own sake. Of course Telix finally decides on the second choice, with no overall change in personality. What about Telix becoming increasing bitter, or some other outcome? No time to examine these issues in one hour, so why try?

Why did the authors decide to create this episode? Was one of the writers having a crisis of faith? Well, good for him, but why subject the rest of us to this problem?
  • Just when you think we're rid of Neelix once and for all…

Just when you think we're rid of Neelix once and for all…

Yes, Neelix dies in this episode. It's a typical Sci-Fi death which means it's probably not going to last. Sure enough, Borg technology brings him back. However, since he doesn't remember seeing the Great Forest (his culture's version of Heaven) while he's dead, he starts to have a crisis of faith. The rest of the episode is spent dealing with this problem. And, I don't think they deal with it very well. It's remarkably inconsistent considering the spiritual nature of the Voyager crew; especially Chakotay who clearly has a very spiritual side. He seems real wishy-washy all of the sudden. I don't pretend to know how they could have dealt with this story differently. My guess is that should never have done it.
  • Mortal Coil

Mortal Coil was a superb episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had an interesting story with lots of character growth and development. The vision quest scene was visually stunning and surreal and was done really well. I suppose negative reviews have a biased view about the material of the story but the episode should just be enjoyed for what it is. Well written, acted, directed and edited. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!

• Neelix is asked to help out on an away mission. On the mission, Neelix will be help collecting a sample of proto-matter from a nearby nebula. Neelix, Paris, and Chakotay leave “Voyager” in the shuttlecraft.

Neelix is asked to help out on an away mission. On the mission, Neelix will be help collecting a sample of proto-matter from a nearby nebula. Neelix, Paris, and Chakotay leave “Voyager” in the shuttlecraft. When they get to their destination, Neelix is able to get the sample of proto-matter. All of the sudden Neelix is killed with a plasma charge. Don’t worry, Seven has a idea that might save him. She suggests using a sample her nanoprobes to help Neelix. The idea is the nanoprobes will regenerate the dead tissue. You want to know something? It worked. Neelix lives.
  • Average.

I found this episod to be rather boring and slow. It wasn't bad, but I just thought it was average and uninteresting. I knew they wouldn't actually kill of a main cast member. I also knew that whenever someone is killed in the beginning of an episode, chances are they will be brought back in some way and in some form. I was a bit miffed about how the storyline went about and I wish they would have done a different storyline. Overall, it was an average episode with average writing, predictable moments, and decent acting. I guess it wasn't one of my very favorites. Thank you.
  • Just got into the Star Trek world, and watched this episode for the first time. I thought it was a wonderful exercise in storytelling.

Too often Voyager goes into sterile, repetitive stories that rarely influence or inspire me or even the characters on the show. Don't get me wrong, I like this show a lot. This episode was different. It attempted to explore what it really meant to be far from home, death, family, responsibility. This episode had something to say and it said it well.

Nelix came back from his near death experience with severe doubts of what he believed in, of what his purpose should be. I can't understand why this episode is so lowly rated. It was emotional, resonance and hidden meaning.

The write of this episode, Bryan Fuller, would go on to be one of the best TV writers going around. His shows 'Dead Like Me', 'Wonderfalls', 'Pushing Daisies' and the first season of 'Heroes' are all very ambitious and original. This episode should be praised.
  • A terrible idea. Plagued by ridiculous scenes and introduces a massive continuity problem.

Neelix is dead for 18 hours, then is revived by Borg nanoprobes. For the sake of this terrible episode, a huge problem has been created. Presumably, Voyager now has the ability to resurrect deceased crew members provided they have the body and not too long has passed. I'm sure this will never be referenced again, and just thrown onto the "severe continuity issues" pile.

'Mortal Coil' also has one of the most absurd scenes in Voyager. Neelix is dealing with his own death. Chakotay knows this, and how Neelix is struggling with his identity. So what does he do ? Recreates his death ! Hey buddy, I know you're freaked out about the fact that you were dead for almost a day... Let's go watch you get a plasma burst to the chest and see the life drain out of your body !

No thanks.
  • "Mortal Coil" is an OK episode, not one of the best, however, nor is it on of the best Neelix episodes.

3.4
    "Mortal Coil" is an OK episode, not one of the best, however, nor is it on of the best Neelix episodes. In this episode, Neelix gets killed by a shock in a nebula. With the help of Seven of Nine's borg nano-probes, they are able to bring Neelix back to live. The other problem with Neelix is that he didn't visit the Great Forest, or his afterlife and he begins to question if it's for real or not.

My rating: 3.4 for an OK episode, not one of the best Voyager episodes, nor is it on of the best Neelix episodes. I wouldn't watch it over and over again.
  • This was definitely worth seeing...

Seeing this episode reinforced quite a few things 'bout Neelix, and then showed us a lot about what Talaxians believed in... like what kind of afterlife they believe in.

I am surprised, however, that a: it took so long to name Samantha's little girl and b: that we never really see too much of Ktarian heritage. Granted, most of the series focused on the senior staff of the crew, which is understandable, but Naomi was the first child born on Voyager... more information would have been nice. :)

More information on Talaxians & Ocampan's would have been nice as well, but the writers gave us more info on them than Ktarian's...

Plus there was never very much info released about Naomi's father... just the extreme basic's.

And how was it that Samantha chose Neelix as Naomi's godfather in the first place? We don't see Sam asking Neelix to be her godfather, the writers just gave us that info...