Star Trek: Voyager

Nightingale

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 22, 2000 on UPN

6.8
  • Nightingale

Nightingale was a great episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I enjoyed watching this episode which focused on Ensign Harry Kim and his desire to prove himself worthy of a real Command. The story was a great idea and turned out pretty good, but there were some things that could have been better about the episode. I was entertained and enjoyed the alien species in this episode as well as Seven's advice for Kim who realized there is more to Being a Captain than just giving commands. Harry got more than he bargained for when he discovered the truth behind the mission and what the aliens were hiding from him. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!

• Voyager sets down on a planet for major maintenance overhaul. Torres informs Janeway repairs will take days longer than expected. Harry Kim, Neelix, and Seven are on a mission to find dilithium.

Voyager sets down on a planet for major maintenance overhaul. Torres informs Janeway repairs will take days longer than expected. Harry Kim, Neelix, and Seven are on a mission to find dilithium. They receive a distress call from a Kraylor ship under attack. Kim and Neelix beam aboard the ship that sent the distress call. They need Kim to pilot their ship since their Captain is dead. Harry agrees to command their ship. Meanwhile, Voyager is having the enemy aboard as a guest. The Kraylor have cloaking technology. The Annari are taking offense to the cloaked Kraylor ship. I rate this episode a 9.4
  • Ensign Kim takes command of an alien "medical transport" vessel and Eachem thinks Torres is coming on to him. Neither one works out. Ho-Hum.

5.2
    Ensign Kim sees a chance to be a captain of a star ship and takes it. Unfortunately the vessel he becomes captain of is not what it seems to be. Why he didn't wonder about a cloaked "medical vessel" is probably within the scope of his character and perhaps he was blinded by the chance to stretch his command capabilities, but I would have thought the writers would have at least brought it up. Meanwhile, in a minor story, Icheb thinks Torres is coming on to him because she shows interest in his engineering capabilities. After a couple of purposely awkward scenes he tells a completely mystified Torres that "They can't go on like this". At first she argues, but then decides that he is right and they should just end it and go back to their working relationship. Mildly funny puppy love story. The first story picks up again with Harry in charge of the alien vessel and micro-managing everyone. Of course he gets into trouble when the Inarians (sp) find them and start attacking. When the medical team on his ship confess to their true identities, Harry wants to run home to Momma Jane, but after a heart to heart with Seven rises to the occasion. Lavar Burton directs this minor episode and you can see his sappy hands all over it, especially the Icheb/Torres story.
  • Harry Kim gets to be a Captain…

3.5
    Harry Kim gets to be a Captain… Everything starts out innocent enough. Harry on the Delta Flyer encounters a cloaked ship damaged in an attack. He renders aid and repairs the ship. Since the command crew has been killed, he guides the passengers back to a rendezvous with Voyager which has landed and is undergoing repairs. The crew of the cloaked ship wants Harry to "captain" them back to their home world. He warms to the idea and convinces Janeway to let him do this who must have been very distracted to allow this. He settles in as captain and with Seven watching proceeds to show his inadequacies. He gives orders but then carries them out himself. He makes decisions that cost lives. His crew mutinies. He makes a comeback to rescues his crew but he's still over his head. Bottom line is Kim decides he's not ready for command (duh). However, Janeway never yells at him about anything even though he probably should have been put in the brig for outlandish behavior.
  • I like Harry and it was about time they addressed his place in the Voyageur crew. That being said, boy did I not like Kim in this episode.

I like Harry and it was about time they addressed his place in the Voyageur crew. That being said, boy did I not like Kim in this episode. He acted like a complete jerk in this ep. Mainly what I didn't like was the way he automatically assumed that no one could do things for themselves and that he had to do everything for them. Being a subordinate for so long, you'd think he'd be the type to know what it's like to be treated like that, but no, the minute he gets to command a starship he becomes the end all and be all of all things to do with a space ship.

It must be a captain thing on voyageur because it's one of the reasons that Janeway's character never really appealed to me. I know a captain should know about her ship, but she seemed to be an encyclopedia of knowledge from the engine core to the weapons array. Seriously, even Picard depended on the advice and suggestions of his officers like Data and LaForge before making a decision. It seemed like in every episode, it was Janeway coming up with the techno-ladened solutions to their problems while Kim would constantly remind everyone how many seconds to impact.

That was the main reason I was excited about this episode. Finally a chance for Kim to show how to lead a crew, but instead we get greenhorn Kim struggling to keep things together. Sheesh, I guess we can blame Janeway for this, "I can do it all" attitude that Kim picked up. That being said, the whole story, revolving around Kim learning what it takes to lead a group of people really turned me off. I still rated it high due to the rarity of a Kim focused episode.