Star Trek: Voyager

One Small Step

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 17, 1999 on UPN

• One Small Step

One Small Step was a great episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it has a message that one person can make a huge difference in not only the world, but the universe. This episode had a good story along with character development andsuspensefulaction. The last scene where Seven spoke was touching and awesome for her character. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!

• A warming episode with a different style and a few flaws.

2032 - the first human mission to Mars, at least according to the Star Trek time line, and we'd better hope that doesn't come to pass because it means we already had a eugenics war in 1996 and will have a nuclear third world war in 2049. The idea of finding a relic from humanity's past isn't a new idea for sci-fi, or indeed Star Trek. In this case Voyager tackles it by having a mysterious spacial anomaly scoop up the module and carrying it around the galaxy. You almost have to deal with two episodes here. The main focus is undoubtedly the part related to the module, and the secondary part is the surrounding stuff they use to put the pieces into play for the first. The first was pretty good I thought. We learned about John Kelly, the astronaut, who was alive in the module for days after he entered it. We get to see those logs, and I think it works out well. The second part... well I wish I could say the same. The Delta Flyer gets damaged almost beyond repair and Chakotay gets put out of action, due to, by the way, Chakotay disobeying the captain's orders and putting his and Tom and Seven's lives at risk. Then, despite having no primary systems or replicators, the transporters work. And somehow the key to repairing the Delta Flyer is on board the Mars module. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the need for conveniences of the plot, but in my opinion a lot of these stood out as rather obvious contrivances.

Overall though, fairly decent.
  • Voyager encounters a subspace anomaly with a little of the Earth's spacefaring past trapped inside.

When Voyager encounters a sub space anomaly containing a lost Mars expedition, they can't resist going inside to retrieve a bit of Earth's lost history. But when problems threaten the mission, can they retrieve their lost crew members before they lose them forever?

This is really two seperate stories, the first focuses upon astronaut Lt. John Kelly who is orbiting Mars in the 21st century when his capsule is sucked into a sub space anomaly that suddenly appears. Through his log entries, we get to see how he stuggles to survive inside the anomaly until his capsule can no longer sustain him.

The second story is about the Voyager's crew and how, in pursuit of history and hero worship some members are willing to even endanger their own lives.

I have to say I really enoyed the Lt. John Kelly part of the story more than the Voyager part. I think there are many better Voyager episodes, but I appreciate them taking a different tack on this one so I can't really call it bad. I think it is worth seeing but it isn't a favorite.
  • 40:th aniversity episode of moonlanding episode.

I was so surprised when i saw this episode, since ive seem to have missed it the first three times i have looked thru the series. that happens now and then, and in this case i was also pleasently surprised that it was a really good episode. Godd character development and great action. The only negative thing i have to say is that im getting a little tired of the crews habit to ignore what the captain say. it seems to be a common thing to go against the captain when ever they feel like it. And what kind of axample does first officer Chakotay set in this case? i bet the crew listen to him even less after this (they dont seem to listen to him as it is, but anywhay...)
  • An unidentified object suddenly appears. It begins chasing after Voyager. Seven identifies the object as a huge mass of subspace energy. The object is attracted to electromagnetic energy.

An unidentified object suddenly appears. It begins chasing after Voyager. Seven identifies the object as a huge mass of subspace energy. The object is attracted to electromagnetic energy. Janeway cuts power to Voyager. The energy mass stops chasing after Voyager, it changes course. Janeway recalls of a vessel known as Aries disappearing in the same phenomenon. Janeway wonders if, Aries is inside the energy mass. She has an away team take the Delta Flyer into the energy mass. With Seven's help they make it. The Away Team locates the Aries. Chakotay wants to recover the Aries. I rate this episode a 9.7