Star Trek: Voyager

One Small Step

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 17, 1999 on UPN

• A warming episode with a different style and a few flaws.

2032 - the first human mission to Mars, at least according to the Star Trek time line, and we'd better hope that doesn't come to pass because it means we already had a eugenics war in 1996 and will have a nuclear third world war in 2049. The idea of finding a relic from humanity's past isn't a new idea for sci-fi, or indeed Star Trek. In this case Voyager tackles it by having a mysterious spacial anomaly scoop up the module and carrying it around the galaxy. You almost have to deal with two episodes here. The main focus is undoubtedly the part related to the module, and the secondary part is the surrounding stuff they use to put the pieces into play for the first. The first was pretty good I thought. We learned about John Kelly, the astronaut, who was alive in the module for days after he entered it. We get to see those logs, and I think it works out well. The second part... well I wish I could say the same. The Delta Flyer gets damaged almost beyond repair and Chakotay gets put out of action, due to, by the way, Chakotay disobeying the captain's orders and putting his and Tom and Seven's lives at risk. Then, despite having no primary systems or replicators, the transporters work. And somehow the key to repairing the Delta Flyer is on board the Mars module. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the need for conveniences of the plot, but in my opinion a lot of these stood out as rather obvious contrivances.

Overall though, fairly decent.