Star Trek: Voyager

Parallax

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 1995 on UPN

• Parallax

Parallax was a perfect episode of Star Trek Voyager and I really enjoyed this episode because The Captain wants to fill vacant command positions through out the ship which leads CommanderChakotay to nominate B'Elanna Torres as Chief Engineer over senior officer Carey. There was lots of awesome character growth and development in the scenes about this. It was also interesting to see how well B'Elanna Torres did under pressure. I liked the science parts of the episode and it was funny how the Doctor kept shrinking. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek Voyager!!!!!!!!!

• Somewhat lame start for a storyline, but great for character interaction.

Yes, they really didn't go to any new territory with this first actual episode (i.e. after pilot). It was the simplest of all things... an Anomaly! Why oh why? There could have been so many things to do, to really go on a fly here. However, this first episode did something awful - it made a statement, a statement saying "We are JUST another Star Trek Show".

Now for a big fan such as myself, I didn't really care. Another Star Trek show? Great! You can never have to many of those!

So while the storyline was predictable and the mystery not much of a mystery, the cast started to slowly figure out their character. That is beside Chakotay! My humble opinion is that this combining of the crew was too quick. They should have made that into couple of episodes, where Chakotay and Kathryn sort of realize that the only way to survive is to carry on with the Star Fleet Model of operation, and to recruit everyone.
    There are simply to many questions just left unanswered. How come all of the Maquis just willingly start working for their "enemy"? How come Chakotay just accepts this? And what about the Starfleet people that had to train and study for years to be allowed to wear the uniform? Neelix doesn't get a uniform - because he isn't Starfleet!
    The idea of doing this like this was brilliant, but having the idea executed as a footnote to the pilot was a bad idea.

There is not much more to say about this episode, it was unremarkable, flat, but had promising touches. Mostly from Kathryn, B'Elanna, Neelix, Kes and the Doctor.
  • The first broadcast of full length episode of the new series and it's a good one.

The A story has Voyager spotting a ship trapped in a singularity. They try to rescue the other ship but soon discover they themselves can't get away from the singularity. It's further revealed that the trapped ship is really themselves; either in the recent past or the soon to be future. This is great science fiction told with rising stakes and a great deal of menace. The B story involves Chakotay wanting Janeway to make Torres Chief Engineer over a Starfleet guy named Carey. Making that complicated for Janeway is that Torres has just broken the nose of Carey during a heated discussion.

However, soon Janeway and Torres start bonding by engaging in a lot of techno-babble presented like a lot of "girlie geek talk." You half expect Janeway to ask Torres if Chakotay's face tattoo is real. And, it doesn't take much predicting to see that Janeway will shortly choose Torres over Carey as Chief Engineer in spite the fact that Torres' "tact" is going to require a lot of work.

Needless to say, Janeway and Torres save Voyager. Janeway gives the job to Torres and Carey accepts it. Ultimately, some future character conflicts are maintained here as well as the opportunity to see if Janeway made the right decision and Torres can tone her aggression down.
  • The second episode of Star Trek: Voyager

This was one of my favourite episodes from StarTrek. I love black holes and this was a very good episode about them. I have it on DVD. I search all the episodes for this kind of episodes. I prefer watching time travells, alternate universes and black holes. My favourite scene was when Janeway and Torres were out of the ship and they tried to figurize which is the real Voyager. The second bes scene was when they had a message which was sent by Janeway six hours in past. It was a very good thing that they have placed a paradox in this episode. I really liked it.
  • In this episode Torres is reprimanded by Chakotay after she breaks another crew members nose. Chakotay does recommend Torres to be the Chief Engineer. Captain Janeway has her doubts. Torres has to prove she is worth it.

In this episode Torres is reprimanded by Chakotay after she breaks another crew members nose. Chakotay does recommend Torres to be the Chief Engineer. Captain Janeway has her doubts. Torres has to prove she is worth it. While on their way back home the “Voyager” is jolted when it enters an area of Spatial distortions. The distortions are cause by a collapsing star. The crew finds a ship on the event horizon of a collapsing star. The collapsing star has a great energy field around it the ship is sending a distress call. It is the “Voyager”.
  • This episode is a B'lanna centric story. We get to see how the integration of Maquis and Starfleet.

This episode has a lot of set up. This is the first episode to deal with the consequences of Janeway's actions. The senior officer staff isn't set yet and even though the fans know or can guess who's getting what positions, it's a matter of how they obtain them. The best part of the episode is that it's isn't happy-go-lucky in placing B'lanna as chief engineer. She and the Captain show doubts about her ability for the position. Luckily, she proves her worth (to herself and the crew) when she gets them out of the mess. One of the better B'lanna centric story lines that I can remember seeing.
  • The crew tries to rescue a ship that is caught in the event horizon of a quantum singularity; Chakotay tries to convince Janeway to give Torres the position of chief engineer.

After a remarkable pilot, Voyager continues to surprise as an interesting character and science-driven series right from the beginning. Althout the science aspect is a bit far-fetched here, the character interplay probably outdoes anything else that was done this season. And, in the end, in all of Star Trek's greatness, despite a unique situation where people who in other circumstances could have killed each other in battle without hesitation are now forced to work together to survive and quickly learn to overcome their anger and resentment at each other, even the volatile B'Elanna Torres herself. The Doctor or "electronic man" takes a humorous turn, something he would continue to do throughout the series in addition to becoming the most human character in all of Star Trek, at least by 20th-century standards. Dennis McCarthy's score is worth mentionning, although it is pretty routine (like most episodic television scores are). Listen to it during the closing scene in engineering while Janeway says "she'll make a fine addition to this crew... Our crew." You just might shed a tear or two.