Star Trek: Voyager

Prime Factors

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 20, 1995 on UPN

• A fall for the high and mighty

Spoiler: Consider Yourself Warned

eeww, how about that slimy alien host trying to seduce Captain Janeway, and her letting herself! Totally out of character, but I'm going to blame this one on bad casting or directing, I don't know who to blame for letting this actor play slimy smarmy (the producers?)

I hate it when Star Trek gets so lazy that they don't bother making aliens look like aliens and have them look exactly like humans... that's never going to be the case if there are real aliens out there. Here on Earth we vary from race to race and within races. C'mon, if it's a matter of budget, give them antennas made from craft wire, give them orange or rainbow eye colored contact lenses, grab some cheap green face paint, whatever, just give me something! How awful to be an actor playing an alien from the Delta Quadrant and you look like any old human on earth, it's as boring as it is improbable.

Speaking of boring, Tuvok is one of the most boring aliens ever, he doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table, but I was taken aback by his actions in this episode... I like it when his character surprises me and I'm caught off guard

So many times, you know that Tuvok is going to do "the right thing" by human standards, but here, he gets a wild hair
  • Prime Factors

Prime Factors was a superb episode of Star Trek Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it raised a good question for the Captain and crew to consider. They have their own Prime Directive and in this episode a world of hedonistic aliens with advanced transportation technology have similar rules about sharing technology. It was fun to watch this all play out and how some characters from both sides were willing to operate in back door dealings to get what they wanted. I really admired Captain Janeways decision in this episode. Both Tuvok and Torres were given a stern talking to and I think this whole thing brings the crew closer together as they learn to really understand each other. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek Voyager!!!!!!!

• After couple of lame episodes we get pulled back in by a bit better offering of story telling, with some good dilemma thrown in for good measures.

The crew of Voyager is offered to come for a shore leave at the planet of a pleasure seeking race, by the invitation of disgustingly smooth host. Shortly after they discover a device that could get them half way home or even further, but not unlike Starfleet this race has rules about sharing technology with less developed races.

Enjoyable episode in the sense that we see different side to many of the crew members. Kathryn is somewhat charmed by the host (which doesn't say much about her taste in men), Kim almost forgets he has a girlfriend waiting for him at home, and some members of the crew rebel against the almighty principles of Starfleet Captains.

And maybe this is where Star Trek is at it best. When the people in Starfleet are faced with impossible choices and they don't just simply take the "right" choice, but falter and disappoint. At those times I'm the biggest fan of what might be some of the Star Trek visions, of fair world and good people, because only when they struggle with their choices can I believe them ending up making the right one.

I found myself excited about this episode, and unlike for most, didn't have the ending all figured out after the first 10minutes. Though I still say that Voyager needs to move towards continuing storytelling episodes rather than these individual short stories, this episode was fine as such.
  • The Voyager crew meets a group of people who live on a planet, not unlike Risa, who may have the key to getting home

I'm surprised this episode got the high rating it did. It's not a bad episode, but the story is kind of lame since we know that they won't get home or it would be the end of the series. The biggest thing that I didn't like was that they were trading technology for stories?! What kind of people have huge laws against giving technology away but some would trade it for a good story? Kind of lame if you ask me. Some parts were interesting, such as the device itself that could transport people to different planets. It is an overall ok episode that has a story that just isn't believable.
  • The officers on Voyager are confronted with a dilemma.

Wow! that second half was great. What a betrayal, and it shows the crews strong will to do almost do what ever to get home. Even Tuvok!

*Spoiler*
    Another good thing abaout the series is that they (and we) several times gets their hopes up for some reason, and then it blows up in their face. I remember when i saw the series first time i was so f**ng frustrated that they never made it. But now when ive seen the series 3 times more i appriciate this (and know that they will succed to shorten their trip several times in the future). You really feel for the crew and get hurt an a way too, but as i said now when you see it again you take it more easy when watching these types of episodes.
  • The “Voyager” intercepts a distress call from a planet known as Sikaris. When the “Voyager” crew responds a Sikaris representative informs them they are not in distress. Janeway gets an away team ready to beam down to Sikaris.

The “Voyager” intercepts a distress call from a planet known as Sikaris. When the “Voyager” crew responds a Sikaris representative informs them they are not in distress. Janeway gets an away team ready to beam down to Sikaris. The Sikaris people are well known for the great hospitality, but unknown to the crew are some of the technology the Sikaris people have. One is the ability to fold space in such a sense that it could mean a shortcut home for the Voyager crew. The catch is Sikaris people also have a law similar to the prime directive.
  • Voyager visits the hospitality capital of the Delta Quadrant. They discover a way to get home, but aren't given the technology. Try to steal it and it is discovered that it isn't compatible with the ship.

This is one of my favorites of Voyager. It is the only episode of Voyager that I currently own. My goal is to eventually own all seven seasons of the show. I thought that the fact that Tuvok and Harry would both do something that is against the principles of Starfleet in order to save Captain Janeway from having to do it herself was wonderful. She kept the discipline to a minimum, which in the Alpha Quadrant would not fly at all, but under the circumstances works. Torres part in it was great as well. It was my favorit episode until the seventh season. Then I saw Drive and it was out the window. I think that with Voyager, the Star Trek producers kept up the good work.
  • I LOVE Voyager, but this is one of the bad ones!

I must state, I am a huge fan of the Star Trek franchise, and Voyager is my favorite out of all of them. That being said, this episode is one of the klunkers.
    The biggest reason, and the one that always stops me from getting into the episode, is how the Sikarans look and sound like they are from France. I have nicknamed this episode, "The Planet of Jacques Cousteau's"
    They all have a laid back attitude and speak with a very very mild accent. EVERYONE wears these thin metal hoops in a bun on their heads. Plus the fact that, although Voyager is 70,000 light years from Earth, these people look like they belong on streets of Paree!
    The story is so-so, Janeway and the crew wrestling with the Prime Directive. The technology is more advanced, but at what cost etc. .
    Now, I forgive them because this is early days and they gotta shake the bugs out. The actors, as on every show, need to flesh out characters, and get comfortable in the roles. Also, the crew and writing staff have to get a feel for the show also. Let's face it, STTNG was worse in it's infancy.
    Voyager's cast and crew make up for this one with MANY superb episodes.
  • While taking shore leave on the home of the very friendly Sikarans, the crew learns of a technology that could transport them home.

As the episode opens, we start to see the birth of what this show was all about: two crews learning to get along. Then we are introduced to the Sikarans, which appear at first to be a very bland species, but don't worry, they are more complex and flawed than they seem. The episode only gets interesting about halfway through, when Janeway struggles with her principles and desire to get her crew home. We also get to see that even Vulcans are flawed and that sometimes their logic can lead them to the wrong conclusions. Seska also plays a crucial role here as Torres' best friend, a build-up for the next episode. But once again, we knew that the crew would not get home this soon, so the ending is predictable. But this is still a very strong episode, definately worth enduring till the end.