Star Trek: Voyager

Prime Factors

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 20, 1995 on UPN

• After couple of lame episodes we get pulled back in by a bit better offering of story telling, with some good dilemma thrown in for good measures.

The crew of Voyager is offered to come for a shore leave at the planet of a pleasure seeking race, by the invitation of disgustingly smooth host. Shortly after they discover a device that could get them half way home or even further, but not unlike Starfleet this race has rules about sharing technology with less developed races.

Enjoyable episode in the sense that we see different side to many of the crew members. Kathryn is somewhat charmed by the host (which doesn't say much about her taste in men), Kim almost forgets he has a girlfriend waiting for him at home, and some members of the crew rebel against the almighty principles of Starfleet Captains.

And maybe this is where Star Trek is at it best. When the people in Starfleet are faced with impossible choices and they don't just simply take the "right" choice, but falter and disappoint. At those times I'm the biggest fan of what might be some of the Star Trek visions, of fair world and good people, because only when they struggle with their choices can I believe them ending up making the right one.

I found myself excited about this episode, and unlike for most, didn't have the ending all figured out after the first 10minutes. Though I still say that Voyager needs to move towards continuing storytelling episodes rather than these individual short stories, this episode was fine as such.