Star Trek: Voyager

Real Life

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 23, 1997 on UPN

• Simply devestating.

What more can be said about and episode that does so much in such a short time? The writing is unbelievable and the direction and acting nothing short of superior. I have one quantifying rule which distinguishes a perfect piece of work from a good or even great one. Can it make me cry? I wept openly during parts of this show, and outright sobbed when during some others. I am not an easily swayed person. I don't just sit down and cry at every tearjerker. Part of me is always aware that I am not watching reality. No matter how real, its not really. So when the writing and directing and acting are THAT good, its saying something. Who among us hasn't wanted to 'turn off' life at some point, when things become too much to deal with. And during that key scene, it made me think of those times when I might have wished JUST that. It tied me into the character, the moment. For that one perfect second, I FELT it.
    So so many of had our doubts about The Doctor when Voyager was first introduced. But throughout the show he grows, in his character AND to the viewers. This episode is among the best of the series, in my humble opinion. Bring tissues ladies... and yes, even some men too.