Star Trek: Voyager

Renaissance Man

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM May 16, 2001 on UPN

• Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man was a great episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because the story was good, the Doctor was amazing, and the action was fun. It was cool to watch the Doctor impersonate members of the crew including the Captain. He also had some awesome moves. It was equally fun watching the crew try to figure out what was going on. The Doctor made some confessions in the end which was great to watch. I look forward to watching the two part season and series finale!!!!!!!

• Janeway is kidnapped and the doctor assumes the likeness of many members of the crew to get the warp core to obtain Janeway's release. He does not consult senior officers. He disobeys a direct order from Janeway not to get the warp core for her captors.

2.2
    Everything does turn out well,after the captors refuse to return Janeway and take the Doctor as well with the Doctor and Janeway being rescued by Voyager. The warp core is recovered and in remorse, believing his progamming is being purged confesses many things, unflattering to his shipmates. He is fine, but hides in sick bay for 7 days until Janeway comes in and tells him he should leave sickbay, that his 7 day confinement for disobeying a diect order is over. Contrast this with Paris being demoted and jailed for 30 days for disobeying a direct order earlier in the show. The objective is the same with or without Janeway. Get Voyager home, and without a warp core she cannot get there. The doctor acts irrationally and forget the maxim, the needs of the many outweight the needs of one.
  • Captain Janeway and The Doctor are traveling back from a medical symposium. They are aboard the Delta Flyer when it starts experiencing a gravimetric shockwave. Janeway returns to Voyager. She tells Chakotay that they are breaking local laws.

Captain Janeway and The Doctor are traveling back from a medical symposium. They are aboard the Delta Flyer when it starts experiencing a gravimetric shockwave. Janeway returns to Voyager. She tells Chakotay that they are breaking local laws. A race known as the R'Kaal have laws prohibiting warp drive technology through their region of space. In order to save the crew, Janeway has agreed to surrender the warp coil to the R'Kaal. Chakotay is concerned about the Captain's behavior. He confronts her about it. He is convinced that he is not talking to the real Janeway. Will Voyager make it home? I rate this episode a 9.6
  • When the captain is captured while on an away mission, the Doctor begins impersonating various members of the crew in order to meet with her captors demands: Voyager's warp core!

I both agree and disagree with peacejaw's review. I think that the plot of the episode had some merit and it wasn't just filler; however, the plot was also a little implausible. The Doctor acted extremely irrationally and out of character and his punishment was absurd. At the very least, his ECH protocols should have been curtailed in some way. If all the Doctor has to do is turn into the ECH in order to do something as drastic and eject the core, then it's irresponsible to allow him to be able to do so.
  • Personally, I thought that this epi was more of a filler epi than anything else...

7.2
    While I love the show, I didn't really like this episode... mostly because ... well, with the two-part season finale immediately following this episode, it just felt like a filler epi. Personally, I would have done a three-epi arc for the series finale... and would have gone into more of what'd happened to the crew once they were all in the Alpha Quadrant... like meeting with the crews families, all the reports, Tom meeting little Miral for the first time... Tom reuniting with his father... Starfleet's reaction to Janeway's action in the episode... even if it was with the 'present' version of Janeway, and not the future Janeway.

But that is just my opinion...