Star Trek: Voyager

Tattoo

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 06, 1995 on UPN

6.8
  • skip, rewind

okay, I skipped it, but I'm going to watch it just because it stars Chakotay and I wanna have his babies
  • Ancient Aliens

I really enjoy this episode. For one it is great to get some back story and history on Chakotay and his tribe. I also enjoy the spin that aliens were on Earth long before man had technology. I know it's not a wholly original idea but it is a nice addition to the Star trek lore and history,
  • Tattoo

Tattoo was a good episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot of character growth and development for Commander Chakotay as he discovered a familiar symbol from his past leading him to discover the truth about his ancestors. I was intrigued by the stories similarity to that of today's Native American tribes regarding "Star Brothers" or "Sky People" and how it tied into the Ancient AlienAstronaut theory. The episode was a bit slow at times however it was over all worth watching. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!

• Chakotay finds some symbols on a moon he is familiar with. The symbol is a chamoose. It is used to bless the land where a campfire was. Chakotay starts remembering a journey from the past that he went on with his father in Central America.

Chakotay finds some symbols on a moon he is familiar with. The symbol is a chamoose. It is used to bless the land where a campfire was. Chakotay starts remembering a journey from the past that he went on with his father in Central America. He remember his father telling what the symbol meant. How could this symbol be on a moon over 45,000 light years from the Earth? So “Voyager” attempts to land but can’t. It seems like every attempt to reach the moon, a storm shows up. Chakotay somehow knows these people on this moon.
  • "Tattoo" was just an average episode.

"Tattoo" was just an average episode. Not bad, not good. "Tattoo" is a Chakotay episode. There are these people on a planet that are of the same trait as Chokatoy. The Indian-American's. Chokatay is knocked while on the planet and is rescued by these Indian's. He realized that they are of the same pack and they talk. However, while Voyager goes down to the planet to rescue him, they are caught in a cyclone/tornado.

Meanwhile, (and this I think is the best part of "Tattoo") the Doctor gives himself a holographic cold to experience what a cold feels like.

I rate this show a 5.0 for average, but interesting in a way.
  • I couldn't stand it.

2.5
    Throughout the entire time I was watching this episode I was wondering what does any of this have to do with Star Trek? The episode was so boring, slow, dull, and uninteresting that I could barely make it through the full hour that it was on. I think it was a waste of an episode and a waste of time for Commander Chakotay. The writing was bad, the acting was average, the plot was awful, and the storyline wasn't even around. I just don't understand why the writers bothered airing an episode that had no real relation to Star Trek. Overall, it was just painful to watch. Thank you.
  • We learn about Chakotay's past. Unfortunately, not the interesting parts.

5.5
    In my experience, there are some rules that govern specific story arcs of Star Trek episodes:

1) Borg and "Q" episodes are almost always good.
    2) Klingon Honor/Court system are usually very boring.
    3) Any faith-based (Native American beliefs, mythology) episodes range from terrible to average.

It's good to see this episode falling into the "average" range. The recap is a little more exciting than the actual show, which was boring and farfetched, even for Voyager. The flashbacks were horribly predictable, and were typical of the 'grizzled veteran reflects on his years as a rebellious teenager' plot that's been used a million times. Overall a pretty dull showing.
  • This episode combines American Indian philosophy with the ancient astronaut theory and gives us an interesting insight into Chakotay and his wish that some things were done differently in the past with regard to his deceased father.

Being familiar with American Indian practices, as well as Sitchin's and other "ancient astronaut" theories that claim humanoids were seeded from extraterrestrial visitors in the ancient past, this episode is very special. Chakotay's performance is terrific and for those of us that lost a loved one and wished that we had said or done something differently before they were gone, it is also poignant One of the things I like about the episode is that it begins with Janeway's doubtful if not humorous reaction to Chakotay's rendering of the fable of the ancient astronauts he calls "the rubber people" and how they genetically enhanced a north american race from which Chakotay's ancestors descended. When this "rubber people" civilization is found in the delta quadrant, Chakotay's remembrances of his father's teachings from his childhood (which he had scoffed) provide the only chance for a successful communication with this race, voyager's safety in orbit and securing of much needed supplies. In doing so, Chakotay also re-connects with his father's spirit and teachings in a renewed way. That provides a very nice arc and also ties in very well to other episodes involving animal spirit guides. One of my favorite episodes.
  • Through a series of flashbacks we see where Chakotay got his tattoo.

This is a Chakotay-centric episode, which is probably a good thing considering the character has barely developed during the first season. On a deserted moon, Chakotay finds a symbol on the ground that reminds him of a symbol from his tribe. After following a warp trail from the moon to another planet, and touching down in a shuttle craft, Chakotay begins to realize that there is some connection between his tribe and this planet. Through a series of flashbacks, we see a young Chakotay visiting the home of his tribe in the central American rainforest, and learn both about his tattoo, and about his people and thier connection to this planet in the Delta quadrant.