Star Trek: Voyager

The 37's

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Aug 28, 1995 on UPN

• Amelia Earhart would be turning in her grave, if she were dead that is

Spoiler Alert!

Very entertaining episode, more so entertaining when I was a teen and saw it for the first time and so failed to see it flaws...

Biggest gripe of mine is that there's no way Amelia Earhart would have stayed behind on a foreign planet, even if it's populated by humans from her century. She's not given a strong enough reason to stay behind and these humans are not even her direct blood ancestors. Not only that, but we're talking about Amelia Earhart, a woman known to seek out action and adventure via flying vessels and you expect me to believe that she would choose to stay behind on a newly developed civilization instead of jumping on voyager and learning to navigate it among the stars? No sale!

Alright, I get that for the sake of the show she had to choose the planet, but the reasons are soooo weak.

Also the notion that these humans created a civilization on the Delta Quadrant and every member of the crew is happy to wave them good luck and goodbye and nice to meet you. Pppffft. Gimme a break. These are the only humans in the Delta Quadrant! Some of them should have begged to come on Voyager and many of the Voyager crew would have chosen to stay.

Another thing, oh how convenient that Tom Paris knows all about cars and the 20th century.

I know I'm being too harsh, I am watching Star Trek and suspension of disbelief goes with the territory.
  • The 37's

The 37's was a perfect opening episode of the second season of Star Trek: Voyager which was very entertaining. I enjoyed watching this episode because the crew encountered some of earth's human history in space leading them to a planet with humans in chryostasis who were abducted in the early 1900's by a race of aliens. This episode touched upon a great subject which not only questioned but also challenged the characters which was awesome. I thought the story was awesome and unique. The planet and people voyager encountered was very similar to Earth for many of the crew members. I honestly wasn't sure how the episode would turn out. The ending scenes were very moving and emotional in a spectacular way cementing the bond of the Voyager's crew. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

• Season two off to a great start.

Technically this episode is a hold over from season one, but serves quite well as starter for the next season. Worth the wait if you watched it back in 1995.

Story wise, this episode tackles a cryogenics angle in a way that totally puts to shame "Neutral Zone" from STTNG. Where the latter drags with it's irrelevant and hollow characters and seems to go nowhere. On the other hand, "The 37's" captures your interest from the start with the ancient car and airplane being discovered, and keeps it there by using real characters from our history; in this case Ameila Earhart. The use of a real character and the fact that this character's disappearence from Earth still generates questions and speculation keeps you hooked to find out how the writers would explain the disappearence in the Star Trek universe.

A interesting question to think about is whether people from our time would choose to stay behind on a new planet serving as a substitute Earth or whether they would consider it a streak of luck beyond counting to be able to live a lifestyle with technology and opportunities that they could have never dreamed of in their lifetimes.

A major standout of the episode is getting to see Voyager itself actually enter the planet's atmosphere and make a landing. Definetly a first in the feat itself (besides Generations crash landing)and it is different to see daylight through the ship's windows during interior shots.
  • A fantastic start to season 2.

After my disappointment with season 1, this opening episode for season 2 was a nice touch. Voyager comes across an old Ford "flying" in space, which leads the crew to a planet not so far away. There they find humans in cryo-stasis units, apparently from 1937, one of them being Amelia Earhart. Why are they there, and who brought them there? There is a originality to the storyline and overall an enjoyable exciting episode.
    The CGI has been greatly approved, as both seen by the pickup truck in space and the landing of Voyager. That landing really was something new and exciting for the crew - and opens up a lot of possibilities in future episodes.

There were however few downsides. [spoiler] To start with it felt like the story was simply too big for a single episode and might have played better to stretch it to two. Finding the human civilization on the planet but never showing the audience more than 3 of the thousands of people supposedly there was a bit cheap. It was also difficult to believe that Amelia didn't decide to go with the Voyager crew. A woman that always wanted to fly and was far ahead of her time, all of a sudden decided to just stay on this planet instead of exploring the galaxy. We are never told either how that pickup truck came to be in space, or why they didn't pick up on this huge civilization on the planet (some whispers about censor disruptions but not very clear). Furthermore they seem to abandon all investigation into which alien culture brought the humans to this planet 400 years ago. The moral tale here of the Captain having to give people a choice to stay behind is a good one, and something that needed be addressed. I think it might have been more believable if few people from the Maquis would have stayed behind, but at least it was made clear that people had the choice.

Like I said - good start, and hopefully we will see more like this in this season.
  • Would Amelia Earhart really have acted like this?

its always tricky in movie and television when they bring in a character from history and put them into a storyline, because you don't know how they really would have reacted and what decisions they would have made. The writers have to 'assume' thats what the character would have done ...its a bit tricky to say the least

From what ive read about Amelia Earhart she was a natural born explorer, always wanting to leap into the adventure and explore the unknown, I'm not so sure she would have decided to stay on the planet, after visiting voyager i believe she would have joined the crew and explored space

great episode overall! thought provoking eps are always great

i feel a bit sorry for the Japanese guy tho, he seemed happy at the idea of the universal translator that made everyone speak japanese ..doubt there was one on the planet tho ....woopsie
  • Very Interesting.

I remembered watching this once and thought how creative it was. I enjoy creativity a lot. It doesn't matter how far fetched it is. I remember telling my parents about this one. They both thought it was cool and interesting also. There are many of these kind of episodes in this series that are very unique. I very much so enjoy that! Over all this is a Great episode with fun dialog and a clever story. I think this is worth while watching many, many times! The thing I enjoyed the most was how the past came together with the future. Nice!
  • Voyager encounters relics from the past in their travels through the delta quadrant.

7.4
    SPOILERS:

An interesting concept for a Voyager episode. It starts by them finding a truck(!) floating in space. They beam it aboard and Paris gets it started. Following the trucks path leads them to a planet where there are more Earth relics in the form of a plane and some people frozen in time. Janeway, going against the Prime Directive in my mind, wakes the people from stasis and the episode flows from there. Turns out they were kidnapped by aliens in the year 1937 and left on this planet. Quite why is never explained I don't think. Amongst this group is Amilia Earheart (sp) who is one of Janeway's past inspirations. That leads to some character exploration on Janeway's behalf, though it feels rather forced to me. In the meantime the alien race that lives on the planet has been worshipping the frozen humans and is quite freaked out to see they are awake. However, they quickly adjust to having their Gods awake and seem quite pleased by the prospect. They offer the crew rest and living space on planet. Janeway argurs over the decision and eventually asks all crew who want to leave to meet in her in the cargo bay. The moral dilemma shown her hit home with me. The crew only signed up for a short trip, now it's going to take over their entire lives. But if too many crew leave to live on the planet, they won't be able to actually fly Voyager and they'll all be stranded. But then, who is Janeway to say they can't go? Clever.

So a standard Voyager ep. A daft premise, some character development, a moral dilemma and a conclusion. Enjoyable but there are better episodes.
  • Voyager uncovers the 37's, humans abducted from Earth in the 1930's. They are revered by the human race who conquerd their abductors. None are willing to leave their new home and stay to help rebuild and improve their ancestor's society.

Amelia Earhart is one of the 37's. it is inconceivable that given a chamce to pilot a starship, she would choose to stay behind. This woman was ahead of her time and would never choose safety over adventure. Nothing on the planet would challenge her talents, and Fred Noonan's drunken confession of love for her would fall on deaf ears. This is a 20th century Kathryn Janeway, and to leave her behind is incomprehensible. She has nothing in common with the other abductees, and her talent would add immeasurably to Voyager's crew. She was a woman of courage and would never pass up an opportunity to learn about a starship and catch up on technology. She and Janeway could be friends, equals on a ship where the captain must keep her distance from the crew. Earhart, a woman out of time, but with the intelligence and courage to catch up.
  • The “Voyager” crew finds a strange object floating in space. The strange object is a 1937 pickup truck. The crew beams it aboard. The truck is inspected in the cargo bay. Paris cranks it up and it still runs.

The “Voyager” crew finds a strange object floating in space. The strange object is a 1937 pickup truck. The crew beams it aboard. The truck is inspected in the cargo bay. Paris cranks it up and it still runs. He turns the AM radio on and finds an SOS call from a nearby star system. Janeway orders the ship to go to the place where the SOS signal is coming from. The signal is coming from an L-Class planet that has the same atmosphere as the Earth. They reach the planet and find people that have been missing from Earth.
  • An excellent episode of Star Trek: Voyager

This episode, is one of the best episodes of Voyager that I've seen. This episode answers the long unanswered question of what happened to Amelia Earhart, she was abducted by aliens. This episode also showed that the integrated Marquis and Star Fleet crews had come together, because when given the chance, no one decided to leave Voyager to live on the earth-like planet. This episode also shows that humans would not make good slaves, because the aliens that abducted the humans from 1937, we driven off the planet by them. It was also cool to actually see a star ship land on a planet, which was too costly before. Overall, this is a great episode and must see for Star Trek fans.
  • this is a cool episode.

the crew of the voyager discovers humans on a planet. this is a really cool look at what the past might have been. this episode was done in TNG, but this episode is much better than that. the dramatic twist in this show is when capt. janeway walks into the cargo bay finds out that all her crew don't want to stay behind. it's a really cool episode. i saw it twice already. star trek voyager is a really cool episode. there's not much action in this episode, but watching the drama unfold is really riveting, it's a good one.
  • People abducted in 1937 are revered as holy, and referred to as The 37's in a human society in the Delta Quadrant?? Give me a break.

3.4
    "The 37's." Well... the episode had an interesting concept. Aliens DID in fact abduct people back in the 20th century. The abductions included legendary missing pilot Amelia Earhart. The Voyager crew ends up finding an entire human settlement in the Delta Quadrant, and Janeway fears what would happen if a portion of the crew wanted to stay. The episode was sub-par at best. I found it boring, and in no way should have opened the season as the season premiere. Another episode of Star Trek that felt similar was an episode of Deep Space Nine called "Little Green Men." I am a huge fan of Star Trek, and I own all of the seasons of Voyager, DS9, and TNG. If you miss this episode, you aren't missing much.
  • Voyager finds a bunch of people from 1937 - code blue!

5.6
    A ship desperate to get home, has time to go after floating trucks in space. Aside for the improbability of a ship in the vacuum (ever heard of vacuum ablation?) remaining in space for 300+ years but still having the batter power to receive radio?

A lot of this episode is waste building up the anticipation! Bit of a waste of time, there's not really any suspense. Voyager gets to land! OOO! Seems a bit much for a ship struggling to get home.

Anyway, they land - find some people from 1937 and managed to get held hostage. Will anyone leave VOYAGER? Oh, I'll leave you guessing as to whether half the crew leaves... but goodness, boring.