Star Trek: Voyager

The Disease

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 24, 1999 on UPN

• Harry gets some.

Finally, if somebody deserves some twosome time its Harry. That fact I did enjoy. The situation was simple, boy meets girl, boy sleeps with girl, suprisingly boy doesn't get pregnate. Glad they didn't go that way. I found it strange that a xenophobic race wasn't actually that xenophobic. A phobia referring to severe fear, panic, terror, hatred in any combination. And another thing here that the aliens don't look much like aliens. They could have used more tattoos or put on some forehead bumbs or something. Regardless, I did enjoy harry getting out there and tom covering for him when he can. Strengthens the bro bond they share. Kim lashing out and then finally taking his punishment and then some added to his character.
  • The Disease

The Disease was a good episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I enjoyed watching this episode because it had some good character development for Ensign Kim. The story was interesting and it was fun to watch Harry break the rules and go against the Captains orders in the name of love. I liked how Seven viewed the situation. The best scenes were at the end with Harry and Captain Janeway and Harry and Seven. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!

• The Voyager crew is helping a generation ship of the Varro repair their warp drive. Kim and Tal become attracted to each other. Tal is a Varro female. According to Starfleet protocol, Kim could be in a lot of trouble.

The Voyager crew is helping a generation ship of the Varro repair their warp drive. Kim and Tal become attracted to each other. Tal is a Varro female. According to Starfleet protocol, Kim could be in a lot of trouble. Any member of the Starfleet Away team is not allowed to engage in courtship with another alien race. Kim has bonded with Tal. Kim is in direct violation of disobeying the Captain’s orders. He may be in more trouble if The Captain finds out Tal is part of a sabotage mission on the Varro ship. I think Janeway is jealous?
  • Is love a disease? If so, why hasn't Harry Kim been vaccinated?

Is love a disease? If so, why hasn't Harry Kim been vaccinated?

This is one of the Voyager episodes that does too much and at the same time, not enough. This would have worked better as two well-developed episodes rather than one partially developed one having two plots.

There's a great establishing shot where we zoom in on what looks to be a large space station. We continue zooming in through a window where we see Harry Kim about to be intimate with a female we've never seen before.

There's no back story setup here. We're just dropped right into the middle of things. It turns out this is not space station at all but an intergenerational space ship inhabited by a people known as the Varo. Voyager is already on the scene helping them make repairs. We don't know how Voyager met up with the Varo or why they agreed to help them. Janeway blathers something about wanting to understand intergenerational space ships since Voyager might become one. Let's hope not. The Varo are extreme Xenophobes. They explore space but only from a distance because they don't want to meet or encounter anyone. That alone would have made a great back story of how Voyager met up with them in the first place. It would have been worth at least a quarter of an hour. Naturally, there is a rebellion a foot among some of the Varo who want to break away from their forced isolation and interact with others. No doubt, they want to "seek out new life and new civilizations…To boldly go where no Varo has gone before…" In short, this is very good story just dealing with people like the Varo and their internal conflicts about being isolated. However, a lot of the story development and conflict gets set aside in order to support the other plot line.

Getting back to Harry and his Varo girlfriend, we find the second and no doubt key plot of the story. At first, Harry is brooding that he's breached Starfleet protocols by being intimate with Tal. However, he soon starts glowing indicating his girlfriend has given him an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and he needs medical attention. This exposes his affair to the Doctor and Janeway.

We learn that Starfleet has a lot of protocols about this sort of thing. Not surprising since STD's and even birth control involving humans and aliens would probably be of major concern. Janeway orders Kim to stay away from the woman.

Harry finds he can't stay away from her. He "borrows" a shuttlecraft and takes her on a ride. Naturally, he gets caught. The Doctor is convinced that Harry is acting out because of the alien virus which is establishing some sort of chemical interdependency between the two lovers. A comparison to human "love" is inevitable and Seven of Nine speculates that human love too is a disease. Kim insists the virus is not the cause of his disobedient behavior but that he has to go with his feelings. Janeway wants to believe Harry is misbehaving because of the virus since Harry has always been a great Starfleet "lapdog." Where has Janeway been the past several years? This is the way Harry Kim always behaves. It's more like he should be called "Horny" Kim rather than Harry Kim. In fact, in this episode, Tom Paris states outright that Harry is always going after "unattainable females" and sites some past Voyager episodes to prove it. Considering this is out of a character's mouth, it's probably makes sense.

Like the other episode plot, this one ultimately doesn't do enough. We don't know enough about Tal and what she sees in him or him in her. This is a common problem in Voyager "one-episode-romance" stories. Also, Tal is part of the Varo group that wants to go out and explore space but she's not interested in joining Harry on Voyager or asking him to join her. It all seems very contrived.

Harry's ultimate decision not to have medical help to get over his "condition" also seems contrived. Why not? What is he proving? That he's better than his own chemistry or chemistry induced by some virus? It's difficult to marshal any sympathy or empathy for him which might happen if more time had been devoted to really building chemistry between the two lovers.
  • Harry Rebels!!!

7.6
    Originally titled 'Alien Love Story'

Goody two shoes finally rebels against Janeway in this episode five years in the making

Voyager are helping a new species make repairs when harry falls for a young woman, they have intimate relations and some kind biological bond is created between them that can;t be broke.

All hell breaks loose when Janeway finds out and relations between the two crews are plunged into disarray. Kim is ordered to keep away from the woman but he can't, he disobey's direct orders and has secret meetings with the woman (only to be caught again) Janeway is angry but Harry sees it as an opportunity to vent frutstration that has been building up for years, he has had it with saying 'yes captain' to every order. this time he is doing what he wants to do, what he feels is right

in theory Kim could have just said it was the biological link that was making him act like this (to avoid more trouble) but he is too much in love
  • Harry gets involved with a girl agains the captains wish. The Voyager gets dragged in to a struggle between freedom fighters and their society.

Character development Harry Kim. One of the other reviewers commented on Harrys behavour as out of character. that was just what this episode was about. he said it him self in the end, hes not the young wonderboy ensign who sign on 4 (or is it 5?) years ago. He has evolved. and you cant conmplain about a character evolving, can you? espessially when we talk about Harry Kim.

Otherwise this is an ok episode. better than the grade suggests. Another intresting subject in this episode is the way starfleet see "intimate relationship". What do they really put into that definition? Most of the seniors offcers has had love intrests with ailiens. Especially Chakotay, see "unforgettable", last season, where he too does what Harry did this episode. And we have seen a lot of kisses. Does kisses qualify as intimate relations? where is the line? There is something to think about!
  • This episode is OK, but it was definitly out of Harry Kim's character!!

7.4
    This episode is OK, but it was definitly out of Harry Kim's character!! Voyager meets up with a new group of people that are trying to get back home in there generation ship just like Voyager. Harry Kim meets this women, Tal, who share a chemical bond with the Captain's or the Doctor's OK. After the Capatin finds out, she gives Harry a mark on his record and tells him not to see her again. Harry disobies the Captain's direct order and sees her. In my opinion, this Episode was Good, it had exciting parts to it, but it was Out of Character for Kim, which may of been what they wanted. 7.4- OK, not Great, not Bad, just OK.
  • Kim falls in love with another female alien and its just one bad episode.

Yet another Harry Kim failed romance love story. To be honest, when I see the words "Harry Kim falls in love..." I cringe. This episode was one of those episodes I've seen only once because I disliked it. There can only be so many love stories before everyone gets sick of them. This was that point for me. It's another failed romance story on a sci-fi show, so once you've seen one, you've seen them all. This episode probably falls into the category of "never watch again" for me. I just don't like love stories in Sci-Fi shows. Especially ones as bad as this one.
  • Love, Labor, Voyager still lost in space.

Poor Ensign Kim. He joins Starfleet to impress the young ladies and on his first mission he ends up on the other side of the galaxy. Five years later, you can't blame the guy for wanting to get close to a woman.

Turns out someone can blame him and that someone is Captain Janeway (or Captain Downer A.K.A. Captain Rains on the Parade). It also doesn't help that the woman he's been sleeping with is a part of a group plotting against her own people.

After the popular (if not overrated) "Dark Frontier," Voyager pulls out a more low-key episode. Harry Kim is one of those characters that generally doesn't get much attention apart from maybe a brief conversation with Tom on the Holodeck or a, "Sensors indicate such and such, Captain" from his station on the bridge. To that end, it's kind of a nice change of pace to get a Kim episode.

This was a good character-building episode, with a little romance thrown in for good measure. And the idea of love making Kim a little crazy was kind of cute, because who hasn't felt a little crazed after knowing love with a member of the opposite sex? You know, aside from most of us Star Trek fans (just kidding, guys).

The only negative thought I have (I know, I just never can see to find the positive, can I?)is that this episode was meant to be a step forward for Harry, and Janeway and Kim both point out how much he's changed in the past five years. The thing is, apart from this episode, he seems like the exact same guy he's always been. The character moves forward for a stand-alone episode, only to be pushed back a week later. But that's a minor gripe (if it really qualifies as a gripe at all), since Kim is a minor character.