Star Trek: Voyager

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 24, 1999 on UPN

5.1
  • Two bad ones in a row

3.5
    So when the writers are on a roll they can produce good or bad and this bad one followed an even worse one, story line wise. I am almost always disappointed by dream based episodes and this one didn't disappoint in that respect, it was quite bad. Chakotay has to save Voyager from "chaotic space" by reliving a holo deck sequence in a dream. This dream is his way of communicating with aliens in another dimension of chaotic space. The story line was very disjointed and just didn't honestly make much sense. He communicates with the alien during a boxing match in his dream no less. Myself and my wife were really enjoying season 5 and then two duds in a row. Hopefully the next episode will redeem the season.
  • Chaotic space has trapped Voyager, and sensors are useless. Chakotay, in a holodeck boxing match, begins hallucinating. At first, he believes he is losing his mind, then realizes the aliens in chaotic space are talking to him, giving him directions out.

I despise boxing and avoid all movies and television shows featuring the alleged sport. However, because of my high regard for Star Trek Voyager, I watched this episode. I found it to be without merit and painful, double entendre intended. Nothing happens except in Chakotay's boxing world, and it is simply unbearable. Perhaps it is similar to the aliens who talk to Sisko, in riddles, in Deep Space Nine through characters he knows, but beyond that there is no resemblance to anything in the several Star Trek series.
    One reviewer has said watching it is like surfing between Rocky and Gilligan's Island. That may be charitable. Watch at your own risk. You've been warned. Perhaps if boxing appeals to you, you may find the show enjoyable. If so, go a few rounds and tell me what you find redeemable.
  • the ship gets caught in chaotic space.

4.1
    wow this was bad! i couldent even see the whole episode and fast forwarded during the last dream sequence. i hated the dream sequences in DS9, and i hate them here. i wonder what the actors thought when they got the script for this one...

i dont think they were happy because the acting was really flat (exept for Beltran who was the oposite...) and uninspiring. also, the direction, story and, well...most things sucked. worst episode so far, perhaps the worst episode in the whole Voyager series. in fact, we may have to go back to TOS to find a worser episode.
  • Far from the series high point.

4.5
    I understand what was supposed to happen in this episode, but the arrow was just shy of the mark. Voyager enters chaotic space and the locals speak to Chakotay the same way the Prophets spoke to Benjamin in DS9. That premise actually has a lot of potential, but the end result was not exactly what the series creators had in mind. This one just got away from them.

There are usually at least one episode in every Trek season that I skip, you can do the same the this episode. You can safely skip this one and not have missed anything. But if you do decide to watch the episode, it's almost worth it to hear Chakotay say, "You mean the crazy gene!" It's unintentionally hilarious.
  • The Fight

The Fight was a fair episode of Star Trek: Voyager. The episode was ok to watch but it didn't really impress or captivate me that much. The coolest thing about the episode is Chakotay's opponent in his hallucinations who happens to be a being who dwells in Chaotic Space. I liked the special effects of this being and of Chaotic Space itself. This episode may have had some character development for Chakotay, but nothing that would be missed. I look forward to watching the next episode!!

• Chakotay is in sickbay. He is hearing alien voices in his head. He tells the Doctor where it all began. It was a holodeck fight, Chakotay remembers seeing strange things in the holodeck simulation. Chakotay is distracted by these strange things.

5.3
    Chakotay is in sickbay. He is hearing alien voices in his head. He tells the Doctor where it all began. It was a holodeck fight, Chakotay remembers seeing strange things in the holodeck simulation. Chakotay is distracted by these strange things. His holodeck opponent knocks him out. Chakotay awakes in sickbay, at the same time Voyager enters area of chaotic space. Chakotay is called to the bridge. Chakotay begins acting strangely on the bridge. Tuvok seeing his condition orders Chakotay to sickbay. Chakotay punches Tuvok. It seems if this chaotic space is affecting Chakotay. Will Chakotay be okay?
  • Another example of Voyager's clever weirdness!

I understand what other fans of the series have being saying about this episode and how it is quite poor, however, I would like to point out why, in my opinion, I thought this was actually a rather good episode.

I will agree that is no where near perfect, and in many respects this episode does demonstrate how Chakotay no longer seems like a very important character to the series, but perhaps that has something more to do the fact the his character wasn't moulded the way the writers originally intended, which was the same with Kes.

Even though this was a Chakotay episode, he spent most of it going loopy in Sickbay, not very dignified for the first officer of a starship. Also, the crew didn't actually seem that worried about him.

Still, I found this episode interesting and rather enjoyable. I liked the idea behind Chaotic Space but I do get the feeling that the Writers didn't explore the idea as well as they could of done. As for the "boxing" stuff, I again found it interesting. I'm not that into boxing but it gave a fun element to the story, especially in the vision quest, and I found it amusing how the Doctor went on an on about how "barbaric" it is.

One of the things I liked most about this episode was Boothby's return appearance, and I also enjoyed the idea that through Boothby and the Boxing, was the only way the aliens in Chaotic Space could communicate with Chakotay and only Chakotay.

Finally, the appearance of Chakotay's Great Grandfather was quite good, but it felt like it did need to be expanded on a bit more. Overall I think this episode isn't as bad as most say it is, but there is more than enough space for improvement.
  • For the sake of repetition, Voyager enters an impassable region of space through which only Chakotay can guide them. “Ah-koochee-moya…”

1.8
    By now in the series, Chakotay has been reduced to a full-blown one-trick-pony. Most of the time, the first officer and second in command of Voyager can be seen simply puttering around in the background, exclaim something trite in a meeting or bridge setting that usually just states the obvious or simply act as the errand boy for the all-knowing Captain (perfectly exemplified in the following episode “Think Tank”). I get the impression that no one among the crew really respects Chakotay anymore. They may not want him to die, but no one goes to him for advice despite his single distinguishing attribute – the vision quest. Janeway never seems to accept any of his comments or critiques and the writing staff has generally made sure that most of the comments or suggestions he makes would either be something that Janeway was already thinking or something that Janeway would never do, thus nullifying his opinion. He seems to have no purpose on Voyager and even less so than Neelix whose original chief purpose on the ship – a guide – was made irrelevant especially via the introduction of Seven who also acts as Janeway’s go-to person when any problem should arise… except when the problem can only be rectified by means of a vision quest, which happens only a few times in the series for the express purpose of actually letting Chakotay contribute in some small way to the series.

This episode is one of those times where the vision quest is actually useful. Too bad this episode was essentially a watered down remake of Season 4 episode “Waking Moments.” Too bad also that “Waking Moments” is a much better episode in almost every aspect.

While I’m glad that Chakotay stepped up from obscurity on the show, this was an unusual depiction of the character. Something about him seemed different and it may have been intentional. When I watch this episode, I pick up almost a vibe of depression surrounding him. The boxing program was an interesting aspect, but it made me further question Chakotay’s place on the ship. The activity he sought for recreation wasn’t with fellow crewmen, but solitary. Perhaps I’m looking too much into it, but it seems to suggest that not only does he want to be away from his fellow crewmen, fight to let off steam (no doubt due to frustration from his virtual non-existence in the chain of command) but also chooses to spend that time with a simulation of a man from a time when I presume all was right in his life. Before the Cardassian occupations, before the Maquis and before Voyager ever placed him in such a purgatory.

The hallucinations, I felt, were handled somewhat poorly. They weren’t like the Prophet hallucinations from DS9 and they shouldn’t have been. But their composition, while intentionally a bit random and chaotic, were simply not very interesting to watch.

They also unnecessarily failed to give closure in regard to whether or not Chakotay’s “crazy gene” was by episode’s end permanently dormant or if the interaction with the chaotic beings left it semi-active. Without that kind of information in the narrative, I fail to see the relevance of remaking an episode that was not at all improved the second time around. All this episode served to do was further illustrate to the viewer how utterly useless Chakotay is in the grand scheme of the series. What a disappointment that is.
  • This episode is a disgusting, sorry excuse for a Voyager episode.

(I only gave it a 1 becauase they wouldn't let me give it a 0.) I love Star Trek: Voyager, but I have to say that the episode "The Fight" has to be one of, if not the WORST episode of Voyager they ever made. I was absolutely appalled at this episode at the end. To think that they would even think about making an episode like this makes me skin litterly crawl. This was definitely NOT one of there great ideas! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --.
  • Mediocre writing, awful direction, inconsistent character development. Poor on so many levels.

WHAT'S GOOD

** Decent acting, if overtoned, by Beltran.
    ** The -idea- of chaotic space is interesting.

WHAT'S BAD

** I've had ENOUGH of vision-quests and Native Americans in Voyager. Enough already!
    ** Abysmal character development of Chakotay. Doesn't help in the eyes of those who think he's the most useless first officer in history.
    ** Other crewmembers are either irrelevant or have senseless or downright stupid lines (The Doctor, for example).

Overall, the episode is a very poor choice. The idea of aliens from a "chaotic" region of space to communicate through dreams/visions is decent (TNG's "Night Terrors" and VOY's "Waking Moments" were both masterpieces)... but "The Fight" just makes a poor job through and through. Overall VOY has less filler episodes than TNG and DS9, but those that are bad are really, really bad, like this one.
  • Oh dear, oh dear. Unoriginal, unispiring and just plain awful.

I love Voyager. Once the series settled down it had a cast that was stronger than the sum of its parts. There are issues with it, but it isn't as bad as some people claim. However, if The Fight was the only episode you ever saw you'd never watch again. You would have to be a dyed in the wool Robert Belttran fan or close relative to even contemplate liking this. The plot is unimaginative but this in itself does not condemn an episode. This show is dreadful on so many levels. The dialogue is exceptionally poor & the direction painful to watch. Every character apart from Chakotay is reduced to shouting banalities that barely fit in with their established characters. An initial look at the cast list might tempt you in as it features the excellent Boothby, but since when did the mild mannered gardener at Star Fleet Academy become a boxing coach? I gave it a 1, but I fear I may be being generous.
  • Voyager is stuck in "chaotic space". Chakotay is the only one who can save the day.

One of my favorite episode. All aspects are superbly done. Voyager somehow enters "chaotic space" and cannot find it's way out. Every idea the bridge crew comes up with to escape fails. A great sense of urgency slowly builds as options run out. Chakotay could have the answer.

"We are too strange for you" the aliens tell Chakotay in his dream-state. Way too often the aliens in Star Trek are bipedal humanoids. This is a welcomed change. We never get to really see the aliens, but during Chakotay's boxing match with "Kid Chaos" we get a glimpse.

After the doctor tells him that he's the only hope for Voyager, Chakotay agrees to listen to the aliens, even if there's a risk losing his mind. With instructions from the aliens, Chakotay can plot a course out of chaotic space.

Many good scenes in this episodes. Chakotay and his grandpa, Chakotay and trainer Boothby, Chakotay and the doctor. Well, you probably know by now this is a Chakotay-centric episode. Interesting to learn that Chakotay enjoys boxing a few rounds on the holodeck.

This episode is similar to the ST:TNG episode "Night Terrors" where Counselor Troi is the only one who can communicate with the aliens.

I can't understand why so many dislike this episode.
  • Boxing and delusions the worst Voyager ever.

2.8
    I have watched and stomached many terrible shows... not just Star Trek, but any television show, this has to be one of the worst television show episodes ever written, regardless of the genre. This cannot be classified as anything worth watching or making sense.

This episode only had one even seemingly redeeming quality, the actor playing Chakotay's Grandfather. The rest of the episode was unbearable, it made me wish my eyes were bleeding. I felt like i got a few kidney punches. This episode doesn't say anything... doesn't mean anything... doesn't have any point.

There are no quotable quotes, no notable notes, nothing interesting happens except that it was actually produced, and that it finally ends. It's like channel surfing between Rocky V, Gilligan's Island, Fantasy Island, Independence Day, and "ER vs. the OC".... and trying to make sense of it but you cant because you had a whole case of Ferengi ale.

Stay away for the sake of your own sanity.
  • Worst episode of the entire series....maybe of all the Star Trek series.

This episode can be summed up in one word: dull!

Once again, Voyager finds itself trapped in some strange new area of space, in this case, "chaotic space" where the great laws of physics are in constant flux. The only way out is to listen to the voices in Chakotay's head. But is Chakotay really making contact with an alien life form or just going crazy?

Well, it's painfully obvious early in the episode that Chakotay isn't going crazy. The Voyager writers wouldn't make their first officer go insane during the middle of a season. And most of this episode simply consists of Chakotay's visions of a boxing match, hardly interesting enough to sustain an hour-long series.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was the direction or just the fact that the story was a little hollow, but I found myself fading in and out throughout this entire episode. And even when I don't like an episode of Star Trek, this hardly ever happens. This episode is bordering on unwatchable. I wish I could say there was a single redeeming factor like a good line from everyone's favorite Holographic doctor (or a little "space sun bathing" with Seven of Nine....hey, it'd be a cheap win, but I'd take it over this anyday). And in the end, Chakotay saves the day and gets Voyager out of Chaotic space (a feat VERY few have been able to accomplish, according to the episode) simply by pressing a couple buttons. Then, it's just, "well, let's head on back to the Alpha Quadrant."

I recall reading somewhere that Robert Beltran chose this episode as his favorite or at least one of his favorites. Well, I guess you can't blame a guy for choosing a show-case for his character as a favorite but I just have a hard time believing anyone looking at this episode objectively could see it as anything but a waste of time. I give it a 3 and that's being generous.
  • Bottom of the barrel...on the bottom of an vast canyon...in hell.

A message to "Shades of Gray" of The Next Generation and "Let He Who is Without Sin..." and "Profit and Lace" of Deep Space Nine: there is now an undisputed worst episode of Star Trek, and you fellas ain't it. "The Fight" is an almost irredemably flawed episode, and features no insight, originality, or excitement along the way. Aside from a semi-interesting premise and the appearance of Ray Walston as Boothby, the episode is a groaner the entire way through, and in my mind is the worst Trek episode ever.

The plot can be summarized in two sentences: Voyager enters a region of "chaotic space", where the laws of physics are in constant flux. Chakotay begins to have strange visions about boxing. That's pretty much it. The premise of chaotic space, although far-fetched, has some juice, and Walston is a comforting presence, but the story is simply too derivative--a copy of a copy, one of Voyager's trapped-in-a-strange-region-must-escape episodes. Far more painful are the "visions", where Chakotay fights...the Delta Quadrant? The aliens? It's unclear, but what kind of alien would pick bloodsport as a medium to communicate? The aliens do have the capability of speech--at the end there's a stream of Voyager characters talking to Chakotay--but they only say a word or two apiece, which reminds me of those unsettling Three Stooges ads that Carl's Jr. put out a few years back. It's obvious that these "dream" sequences are just recycled stock footage (as opposed to the Prophets on Deep Space Nine, where their visions were actually performed by the actors, not cobbled together from a dozen different episodes). Finally, the writers use deus ex machina to get the ship out of their perilous region, by just having Chakotay punch some buttons. Why not have him blow up the ship? If it's chaotic, and the laws of physics don't apply, that might have been more campy, or something. Instead, it's quite jejeune.

Why is this worse than the other episodes I named? If you count "Shades of Gray" as an episode, which I do not, then it would be lower since it has only a schematic plot line. That TNG episode was created just because of the writers' strike--it's like complaining about the Seinfeld clip shows' lack of story. The two DS9 episodes were abysmal, but at least it was because they had something to say and were scaled back at the last minute. This truly is the bottom of the barrel: an episode of Voyager that has nothing to say, and does a damn awful job saying it.
  • A great Chakotay-centric episode.

Great preformance from Robert Beltran. We learn Chakotay enjoys boxing in this episode and a very interesting first contact with a species that is able to only communicate with Chakotay. I enjoyed this because it focused primairly on Chakotay and we were flung through a wild vision quest that was done very well. I think it was written well and convincing to where the aliens were able to communicate with Chakotay and Chakotay faced his own fears in order to save the ship.
  • Voyager's caught in chaotic space, and Chakotay is the only one who can save them through his link with the aliens that live in this region. The only trouble is, he feels he's going insane.

Nothing happened. That pretty much summarizes the whole episode.

Okay, the concept of chaotic space was sort of cool. A zone where the laws of physics are in a state of flux. Can they get out? And what's going on with Chakotay anyway? Is he going insane, as he fears? Is someone trying to contact him? And, more importantly, will he survive?

One of the biggest problems with this episode is the entire plot. Nothing really happens that involves much significance. Another weird distortion, Voyager's caught in it, Voyager escapes, Voyager keeps moving toward home. That's the very basic plot. So you would hope that there might be a little more character development. Yes, there is, and here it is: Chakotay is terrified of going insane like his grandfather did once long ago. Oh, right, and the "crazy gene" in his brain was suppressed in his father before he was born. The end. Hooray.

Chaotic space. Well, that's certainly interesting, as I mentioned before. Wouldn't you think that the solution would be just as interesting? I was only watching this episode to see how they came to a conclusion. And it was pretty lame. Chakotay tells the crew that he "can't explain it," that he just has to take over Ops, and do it himself, Captain Janeway trusts him, Chakotay fiddles with the touch pad, and boom! they're out. Pathetic.

In fact, the only reason why I gave this episode as high a rating as I did was Robert Beltram's (Chakotay) performace. His whole "crazy" phase was intriguing. Oh, that, and Boothby. Gotta love that guy.

In fact, if you're not a big fan of either Boothby or Chakotay, don't watch this episode at all. It's seriously not worth the pain.