Star Trek: Voyager

The Fight

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 24, 1999 on UPN

5.1
  • Chaotic space has trapped Voyager, and sensors are useless. Chakotay, in a holodeck boxing match, begins hallucinating. At first, he believes he is losing his mind, then realizes the aliens in chaotic space are talking to him, giving him directions out.

I despise boxing and avoid all movies and television shows featuring the alleged sport. However, because of my high regard for Star Trek Voyager, I watched this episode. I found it to be without merit and painful, double entendre intended. Nothing happens except in Chakotay's boxing world, and it is simply unbearable. Perhaps it is similar to the aliens who talk to Sisko, in riddles, in Deep Space Nine through characters he knows, but beyond that there is no resemblance to anything in the several Star Trek series.
    One reviewer has said watching it is like surfing between Rocky and Gilligan's Island. That may be charitable. Watch at your own risk. You've been warned. Perhaps if boxing appeals to you, you may find the show enjoyable. If so, go a few rounds and tell me what you find redeemable.