Star Trek: Voyager

The Swarm

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 1996 on UPN

7.7
  • The Swarm

The Swarm was a perfect episode of Star Trek: Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a great story and a lot of character development, especially for the Doctor. There was a lot of action and adventure as Voyager encountered a widely feared but very unknown race of aliens who swarm their enemies and drain power from their ships and kill those who intrude upon their territory. These aliens sort of reminded me of the Aliens from Stargate SG-1's Foothold. The Doctor had a lot of great scenes and the last scenes were both heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek: Voyager!!!!!!!!!

• A great episode that would easilly make up for two separate episodes.

Both storylines in this one are great. Although I find it kind of weird that while the ship is under attack by the swarm, Kes and the Doctor don't even feel the ship trembling because of enemy fire. Other than that, we get two very enjoyable stories that could easilly fill two complete episodes.
    So, the ship ran into a very odd, advanced race. Their language was undecipherable, even by the universal translator. Apparently, Voyager has entered a space owned by this race, filled with probes checking for intruders. Neelix knows only little about this race, because noone ever returned from their territory. Things start to get a bit creepy. So, Janeway must decide if they go trough or around the borders. I find it a bit odd that Janeway would risk the crew and disobeyed the federation rules so much - would Picard ever consider rushing trough Romulan space in order to save time? I know, we are talking about 1 to 2 years worth detour, but considering that without finding a wormhole or help from a more advanced race their journey would take over 70 years... I find this logic to be flawed. The more so because Janeway tends to moralise a lot.
    But anyway, she decides to punch trough, making the show more interesting after all. Voyager's stealth measures of course fail and they get attacked by a huge swarm of small shuttle-like ships. They succeed in repelling them, but it was a close call.
    In the meantime, Doctor is loosing his memory and ability to think. This sidestory brings in the laughs - death alien lies on the bed, Doctor looks at him and says "He is a very sick man." - as well as fear that we could actually lost the Doctor as we know him. Which would be a great shame, because he is by far one of my favourite characters on the show. But since he is a bit of a side character, I was actually worried about him. Which is why episodes endangering a side character are much more intense, because the main 5 or 6 characters are always ok in the end, while the completely new characters usually die a horrible death.
    Anyway, there's a lot of great little scenes in this episode I loved. Throw in the fact that the aliens were actually mysterious and interesting - unlike the stupid Kazon - and you have my idea of what a great Voyager episode should look like.
  • A good episode ruined by a rushed, technobabble ending.

6.9
    There are two separate plotlines in this episode, both of importance.

The main story arc is Voyager crossing the space of an unknown species, of which little is known. They're creepy and mysterious, which is more than can be said for most races introduced in the show. The UT failing to identify the language was a nice touch (too bad they kind of bailed on that at the end, too). Things had just gotten interesting when Janeway uttered some gibberish about polaron fields, and suddenly the threat was over in 15 seconds. I'm sorry you're running out of time, but putting a sign up to the screen that says "everything turned out ok" doesn't count as writing.

The second plotline is the degrading of the doctor's memory circuits, which is tough to deal with. He's an awesome character - a real bright spot amongst an extremely predictable lineup. At the end, it's not clear if he's ok, but I assumee he is. It'd be a major blow to have the reset button used on him.
  • Paris and Torres encounter an alien ship while in their shuttlecraft. The aliens board the shuttlecraft and proceed to fire a weapon on Paris and Torres rendering them unconscious.

Paris and Torres encounter an alien ship while in their shuttlecraft. The aliens board the shuttlecraft and proceed to fire a weapon on Paris and Torres rendering them unconscious. The Doctor while in the holodeck practicing an opera duet is called to sickbay. Paris and Torres are found and now are in sickbay. The Doctor saves Torres and goes to save Paris. The Doctor forgot how to operate. It seems all these years of his program running have caught up with him. The Voyager has to make through the aliens territory. Will the crew make it home?