Star Trek: Voyager

The Swarm

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 1996 on UPN

7.7
  • A great episode that would easilly make up for two separate episodes.

Both storylines in this one are great. Although I find it kind of weird that while the ship is under attack by the swarm, Kes and the Doctor don't even feel the ship trembling because of enemy fire. Other than that, we get two very enjoyable stories that could easilly fill two complete episodes.
    So, the ship ran into a very odd, advanced race. Their language was undecipherable, even by the universal translator. Apparently, Voyager has entered a space owned by this race, filled with probes checking for intruders. Neelix knows only little about this race, because noone ever returned from their territory. Things start to get a bit creepy. So, Janeway must decide if they go trough or around the borders. I find it a bit odd that Janeway would risk the crew and disobeyed the federation rules so much - would Picard ever consider rushing trough Romulan space in order to save time? I know, we are talking about 1 to 2 years worth detour, but considering that without finding a wormhole or help from a more advanced race their journey would take over 70 years... I find this logic to be flawed. The more so because Janeway tends to moralise a lot.
    But anyway, she decides to punch trough, making the show more interesting after all. Voyager's stealth measures of course fail and they get attacked by a huge swarm of small shuttle-like ships. They succeed in repelling them, but it was a close call.
    In the meantime, Doctor is loosing his memory and ability to think. This sidestory brings in the laughs - death alien lies on the bed, Doctor looks at him and says "He is a very sick man." - as well as fear that we could actually lost the Doctor as we know him. Which would be a great shame, because he is by far one of my favourite characters on the show. But since he is a bit of a side character, I was actually worried about him. Which is why episodes endangering a side character are much more intense, because the main 5 or 6 characters are always ok in the end, while the completely new characters usually die a horrible death.
    Anyway, there's a lot of great little scenes in this episode I loved. Throw in the fact that the aliens were actually mysterious and interesting - unlike the stupid Kazon - and you have my idea of what a great Voyager episode should look like.