Star Trek: Voyager

The Void

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2001 on UPN

• An ultimately triumphant episode that leaves a trail of disappointing character conflicts along the way.

Voyager is sucked into a desperate world where one must steal and raid other ships for survival.

Janeway, alone among the crew and the aliens already in the void, stands strong for cooperative ideals, fairness, and the morality of the Federation.

The script quickly shuffles Chakotay into his traditional role of expressing cynicism and doubts about the usefulness of Janeway's ideals. He's backed up by a few "logic dictates..." from Tuvok. However, after a quick speech about the principles of the Federation, they push over and Chakotay supports her unquestioningly for the rest of the episode.

Many times throughout this episode, I was struck by how alone and authoritarian Janeway was. She espoused friendship and peace and good moral standards, and it was her way or the highway -- usually with a snide comment on the side.

There are good arguments to be made for consistently following these moral principles, but I felt that the show failed to make them: instead it just contrasted Janeway's unfailing idealism with everyone else's willingness to take advantage of opportunities (even if the opportunities were somewhat questionable). Luckily, engineering problems were solved at the Speed of Plot, and things started working when they were needed.

Still, the episode is remarkable for creating a facsimile of the Federation. I liked the little alliance, and I was sad to see the ships split up in the end, with everyone going their separate ways.