Star Trek: Voyager

Time And Again

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 30, 1995 on UPN

• It's about Time

This one has quite the concept! Like the previous episode, "Parallax", "Time and Time Again" has some fun playing around with cause and effect; but whereas "Parallax" uses a time distortion (or reflection), "Time" uses time travel. With Janeway and Paris one day behind the rest of the crew, each on opposite sides of an apocalyptic disaster, the episode cleverly weaves its A and B story together by intercutting between the past and the present at the same locations. (It's sort of like the second Lord of the Rings film where the story intercuts between Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli on the borders of Fangorn Forest and Merry and Pippin at the same location the night before). It's an interesting way to integrate the two parts and make every scene matter.

Unfortunately, the premise, which requires Janeway and Paris to fit in with the aliens, dictates that the planet's culture be just like Earth. It's something other Trek incarnations do once in a while, but for with Voyager being on the other side of the galaxy, it seems out of place and certainly fails to highlight how far they are from home. Perhaps worse, the script attempts to turn Kes is into Guinan, a character with an intuitive sense that goes beyond the limits of space and time. Whoopie Goldberg knows how to pull it off, but Jennifer Lien isn't a good enough actress to make it work. (To make matters worse for Lien, her character's visit to the doctor gives Robert Picardo a chance to upstage her, and he takes full advantage of the opportunity).

Still, the premise itself is strong, and "Time and Again" has enough interesting to bits to make it one of VOY's better first season episodes.

• it was meh

I see I'm alone here, but I found this story dull... the people on the planet were boring, the costumes were too distracting, Kes is crying and that little boy is irritating, so I kinda lost interest half way through
  • Time And Again

Time And Again was a perfect episode of Star Trek Voyager and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a great story dealing with time travel yet again and there was a lot of character development. It was fun watching the crew try to find a way to rescue Captain Janeway and Lt. Paris. They had their own adventure on the planet a day before the disaster. I like these stories dealing with fractures in time and how its all relative etc... because it really makes you think. Kes is developing some new abilities it seems and it was great how The Doctor handled her concerns. Captain Janeway is one of the best female characters in TV history in my opinion. I look forward to watching the next episode of Star Trek Voyager!!!!!!!!!

• A great episode. Simply very good Science Fiction and story telling.

A great episode. Simply very good Science Fiction and story telling.

Voyager encounters a pre-warp planet recently devastated by a polaric disaster. This is a form of energy which is highly dangerous and some kind of accident has wiped out all organic life on the planet.

Visiting the devastation, Janeway and Paris fall through time fissures into the planet's past just before the explosion. They try and track down the source. Meanwhile, the Voyager crew figures out a way to open up a fissure for them to return to their own time. Tricky part is to find out where Janeway and Paris are in the past so a nearby fissure can be opened. Hence, a race is on and suspense builds.

Meanwhile, Janeway learns that something Voyager or its crew did was the original cause of the explosion. She violates the prime directive and reveals to some locals that she is from a starship, visiting from the near future, and a catastrophe is about to occur. Naturally, they don't believe her but they do get her close enough to where the disaster actually will start. The tension continues to build until Janeway and Paris are at ground zero and she sees the fissure being opened by her crew in the near future. This is the source of the disaster. She uses her phaser to shut the fissure down and prevent the disaster.

This is simply great story telling mixing constantly rising stakes and suspense with some time travel tossed into the mix. It's flawless.
  • Janeway and Paris travel back in time to just before a planet-wide disaster.

It's unusual that such an amazing episode happened so early in the first season of *gasp* a 4th-generation spin-off. Time episodes are a never-miss in the Trek world, and this one is definitely a hit. In a season of mediocre-at-best episodes, Time and Again stands out as one to watch and re-watch, and is worthy to be named alongside such great Voyager time-travel episodes as Future's End and Shattered.
  • Best one so far with some of the best characters starting to form.

I enjoyed this episode for several reasons. First it was the fact that we start to see the banter between people on Voyager. Tom is coming more out as the somewhat playboy with a good heart, Kathryn likes to get her hands dirty, Kes is more than just a pretty face and the Doctor is going to keep us all entertained.

The second reason is that the story is somewhat well written. The flow is fast and there is some effort put into the sets. Instead of the often single location for a new planet, we actually end up seeing at lest 4 different rooms and some outside areas as well. If I were to find something I dislike, I would say that the actors of the local people on the planet were somewhat lacking. They seemed stiff and almost like they were hand-fed the lines, rather than having learned a part. This is also the second episode in a row where (SPOILER) Voyager is the root of the problem...

But the main thing is that this is the first episode that I really enjoyed of the Voyager Saga!
  • A solid episode that shows the Voyager crew slowly coming together while dealing with a time paradox that is surprisingly fresh.

For some reason, this episode tends to get overlooked when remembering Voyagers first season. Most people decide to dismiss it as a hokey time travel story and evidence that the series overly relied on the device for storytelling throughout its seven year run. It is easy to see why since its is the second episode in a row that has had some element of time travel or its effects. It also does not help that both these episodes followed the premiere episode.

However, judged on its own and without comparison to what is to follow and Time and Again is surprisingly good. The pairing of Janeway and Paris works very well and even allows for Chakotay to get some early practice at being in command of the ship. Thankfully the even find something for Kes to do, which is actually important to the success of the mission.

It is hard not to see the episode as a little less than unique. The entire script could easily be transposed to either The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. At least with Voyager the story can be used as more than just another filler episode but can be very useful in providing the characters with a meaty situation to deal with. This allows some of the more anonymous characters to shine.

The Janeway/Paris pairing works much better than I believed. She is finally placed in a situation where she cannot hide in her quarters or retreat to her ready room, but must actually interact with Paris and work with him not simply as his captain but as a colleague if both are to find a way to return to the ship. We also see the beginning of Paris' gradual reacceptance back into the Starfleet fold. He's no longer the angry young man railing against authority. He appears to have a tremendous respect for Janeway, and despite everyone's sense of loss and despair since being hurled into the Delta Quadrant, he seems to recognise it for its benefits.

We also see the beginnings of the development of Kes, something of which went seriously haywire as the series developed. Which is really sad since the character is one of the more unique examples in the Star Trek universe. It is also in this episode be begin to learn of her possible telepathic abilities. Something which will become pivotal. I have always felt that Kes provided an emotional aspect to the crew. While the rest of the crew are obligated by duty and Starfleet regulations, she has no such barriers. Even Troi on The Next Generation could never escape the fact that she was a Starfleet officer. Kes wears her heart firmly on her sleeve.

Time and Again does demonstrate the start of a new era of Star Trek where the techno babble reached stunning new heights of complexity. And in this episode it does almost reach the point of distracting the viewer away from the story itself. All the talk of polarons and temporal flux only adds to the argument that the episode was just another fancy time travel story.

However, the moment that Janeway and Paris are propelled back in time to a point before the planetary disaster the story really starts to move along. Even the transition from one period to another is stunning. With Janeway and Paris standing in the dark and decaying ruins of a building only to suddenly find themselves in the same location days before when it was a vibrant town square filled with life and light.

Okay I will admit, and I am certain all of us can agree, that the 'boy' is annoying and serves virtually no purpose other than to take up space. It also does not help that the group of protestors are weak. Neither menacing or sympathetic. The fact that they believe Janeway and Paris to be government agents shows the level of intelligence we are dealing with. In fact it seems like the entire planet is populated by the criminally stupid. So when they protest groups leader thinks he can find a way into the power plant by using Janeway and Paris we can only sit an wonder how badly things are going to get.

It is then no surprise that it all goes horribly wrong and Paris ends up injured and stuck with the 'boy' while Janeway must go and stop the group from causing what she believes is the real reason for the planets destruction. We then have a traditional fire fight that lacks any real punch despite the fact we are told that it could result in the plants destruction should a stray phaser blast hit the wrong system.

However, even now I still find the revelation that Voyagers attempt in the future to retrieve Janeway and Paris is ultimately what causes the explosion that kills the entire planet. It is hard to tell whether Janeway knows that by stopping her rescue attempt will result in the timeline be rewritten and all the events she has experienced to disappear. Or does she actually believe that if she destroys the incoming beam that she will be trapped in the past forever. It is never really explained, but it demonstrates that Janeway is a bit more layered than we tend to give credit to.

The final act where Kes comes to the bridge as Voyager passes through the system containing the planet works well to highlight the success of Janeway in the past. We know that the crew will have no memory of the events and that the experiences they witnessed will not be remembered. Of course, we will remember.

Time and Again is by no means a classic episode of Star Trek, not even a classic Voyager episode. But it is nonetheless a very solid and well written episode that sets a benchmark for future time travel episodes.

The episode may reuse elements of much of what has gone before it. Not only in story ideas but also in locations, props and sets. However, together they work to create a very entertaining episode that allows the crew to breath a little.
  • The “Voyager” is shaken by a huge shockwave, and then they find an M-Class planet with no signs of life. Captain Janeway assembles an away team to beam down to the surface of the planet.

The “Voyager” is shaken by a huge shockwave, and then they find an M-Class planet with no signs of life. Captain Janeway assembles an away team to beam down to the surface of the planet. While investigating the area of destruction Janeway and Paris go back in time. They must have went through a time fragment. Janeway orders Paris not to reveal what is going to happen the next day. Janeway and Paris walk upon a demonstration at the polaric energy power plant. Could this very well be what caused the space time distortion. I rate this one a 9.3
  • Along the way home Voyager stumbles upon a pre-warp inhabited planet that has just been devastated by a Polaric explosion. Upon reaching the surface to investigate, Janeway and Paris are accidentally pulled back in time to just one day before the explosi

7.9
    This episode is a good starting point for Voyager, a classic time travel episode with some clever twists. I personally like it, but it is not my favorite either and does have some drawbacks. I rate it as average as the quality is of course “season one” and is lacking in that it sort of makes a quick acceleration in character from the last episode, not really confronting other obvious issues at hand, and sort of ignoring bitterness and lack of cohesion that existed and undoubtedly still should between the two crews. It is a run-of-the-mill time paradox episode; even though it is a clever setting/situation, but I do think it makes a good one just to get your daily dose of Trek and time travel. It does a good job with things like the moving along of Paris’ rehabilitation from incarceration, without going too far, and establishes the whole setup/feel for the rest of the show well, but at the same time it falls short by not really confronting issues like Voyager’s power consumption, which is oddly enough the episode topic, power, and instead diving right into the exploration of the great new delta quadrant full of things to study and analyze in the most wasteful manner. It rates higher than some in my book though for its clever use of topic and introduction of Kes as a formidable character.

Spoiling Synopsis:
    Basically, it begins with Kes awakening to a shuttering ship, and upon arriving on the bridge, with obvious telepathic sense, she already knows of a terrible disaster on a nearby planet. Voyager moves closer and discovers that it has been caused by Polaric detonation. After beaming down they discover that the planet was using dangerous Polaric energy as a power source, the source of the explosion, and that the explosion has fractured subspace all over the planet surface. Paris and Janeway accidentally fall into one of the fractures and end up in the past, just one day before the disaster occurs. Struggling with the Prime Directive, Janeway eventually discovers that Voyager is actually the cause of the disaster in the first place, revealing the average, full temporal paradox that we’re come accustom to in Trek. Stopping the action that causes the explosion, everything is returned to normal and the episode ends with only Kes having any knowledge of the disaster.
  • When the crew investigates a planet that has just been devastated by a massive polaric explosion, Kaneway and Paris are accidentally transported back in time to the day before the accident.

7.7
    BEWARE OF SPOILERS!
    All right, so this is your basic A leads to B leads to C leads to A paradox, where nobody remembers anything that you have just seen by the end of the episode, so you wonder why you watched it at all. However, there are some good moments (and some bad ones), including a classic scene where the Doctor learns of new passengers and of Janeway's dissapearence and says "It seems I've found myself of the voyage of the damned". It also lays down the issue of power usage and the dangers assosiated with it, but doesn't go very far. There are some discrepencies (why do all the temporal fractures always travel back exactly the same amount of time?), but they are easily overlooked. I can't think of anything else that I liked or disliked about this episode, so I'll stop here and say it was an overall pretty average episode, worth watching but not that memorable.