Star Trek

A Piece of the Action

Aired Unknown Jan 12, 1968 on NBC

• Kirk, Spock and McCoy investigate a planet that has a culture mirroring Earth's gangster culture of the 1920s, the result of an earlier expedition that left behind gangster literature. I have to confess – I like this one!...

This episode splits the vote amongst fans, and there are many who don't like it. But I have to say, I actually quite enjoyed it, and I find it one of the better later second season instalments.

To fully enjoy it, you have to take it for what it is – a silly comedy with a very light plot. If you're looking for something deeper and more meaningful then you're looking at the wrong episode.

Coming just two episodes after the very popular "The Trouble with Tribbles", it is another of the Original Series' few out-and-out comedy episodes. I know I will be very controversial here, and many will disagree, but I actually enjoyed it as much as "The Trouble with Tribbles"!

The plot itself is very thin, and just an excuse for Kirk and co. to play gangsters for fifty minutes, but if you take it for what it is, then it is good fun.

Highlights include Kirk's ridiculous made up card game, and Kirk driving. Besides, in what other episode would you find Mr. Spock dressed up as a gangster!

The cast play it for what it is, a goofy comedy – none more so that William Shatner, who seems to totally get what the episode is, and throws himself into it.

The episode doesn't match the sharp, polished outings of the first season, but for a later second season episode where the series was starting to lose its shine, it doesn't come off too badly. Just don't expect too much from it.