Star Trek

Catspaw

Aired Unknown Oct 27, 1967 on NBC

7.2
  • May as well have been an episode of "I Dream of Jeannie," only pompous and boring.

3.1
    This episode is not one I'll ever bother to watch again since it's cheesy, slow-paced and unconvincing. It really takes a long time to go anywhere and doesn't bother to do anything particularly interesting along the way.

The Halloween horror bit isn't in the least scary and it isn't fun, either. It tries pulling out some half-hearted attempt at Jungian psychology with some mumbo jumbo about the collective unconscious with the close shot of a house cat being the penultimate symbol of fear. I tried to use my imagination, but I couldn't see it as anything more than tragically comical.

Sylvia is some 45-year old housewife, and by the way, Marge Simpson wants her hairstyle back.

At least the cheap and cheesy contemporary shows like Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Jeannie played this kind of material for laughs and maybe got at least a couple of them and the actors didn't seem so pained.

The plot has little forward momentum and lots of the time is pointlessly spent. For example, they show some unknown red shirt acting as captain and trying to get the Enterprise out of trouble. He makes efforts and figures out how to break through the "force field" but Korob frees the ship, anyway, so what was the point of all that machination with the plot? It certainly wasn't any useful character development and didn't bother changing any outcomes.

It's also the tired "selfish superior alien wants to use humans for own gratification" plotline along with "superior aliens are not really as they appear."

The superior aliens are lacking something and want to get the special magic those humans have, but by trapping and enslaving them. It is somewhat comforting (in a facile way) to know that superior aliens always want to get that allusive human mojo. We got it, baby! Yeah! Center of the universe, right here.

About the only interesting elements were the dead body falling out of the transporter and the weak conflict between Korob and Sylvia. Sadly, Korob comes off as perhaps the best character in this episode, which isn't saying a lot.

If you're over the age of 12 you can probably safely give this episode a miss. You didn't miss much and you just savee 50 minutes of your life you could be doing almost anything better.

Life is precious, this episode isn't. (Except in taking its own shallow pretenses so seriously.)