A Star Trek Community
NBC (ended 1969)

Although not a "famous" Star Trek name, Lou Scheimer played a huge role in keeping the show going between the original Trek and Next Generation. As a co-founder of Filmation, he was one of the men responsible for Star Trek: The Animated Series. Besides producing the series, he voiced three characters on the animated series.

Not only did he keep Trek going until the first movie came out, he also pioneered the concept of first-run syndication programming with He-Man, which later paid off when Next Gen became a big hit in... first-run syndication.

If folks aren't fans of the Animated series, then anyone watching cartoons in the 60s, 70s, and 80s probably heard his voice, as he played roles such as Orko in He-Man, Dumb Donald in Fat Albert, and Bat-Mite in New Adventures of Batman. He composed music for several of the Filmation series.

Filmation later branched into live action (Jason of Star Command, Shazam!, Isis, Ark II), and Mr. Scheimer won a primetime Emmy for "A Fat Albert Christmas," and a daytime Emmy for ST:TAS.

He will be missed.
Comments (21)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Gee! Apparently spammers loved Lou Scheimer and wanted to pay an homage in their own lovely, sweet way. They are like a plague of locusts. Locustus of Borg! I guess they are more than the tv.com staff can handle.
Flag
It's more that they target new threads, and probably ones that are on the front page.

Why TV.com can't simply disallow people from posting material with .com in it, isn't clear. They keep saying there's no silver bullet solution and I'd agree... but apparently they're not willing to use some of the most obvious bullets.
Flag
Before they had communities .com links were blocked, and spammers used to write their links using alternate spelling (like somethingsomethingdotcom), while real users were barred from posting cool links and links to pictures. Now we have all sorts of features, and spammers are still here.
Flag
Sure, but spammers go for the easy targets. That's why spam has increased since Development got rid of the .com blocking.

And you wouldn't need to block links: just actual text of ".com." Again, that won't stop everything, but it stops a lot of stuff. And tells the spammers to go find easier prey.
Flag
About ST:TAS, the animation was atrocious, and the music that sounded like Star Trek but didn't quite get there was enervating. But at least a cartoon would allow them to be creative in the making of cool aliens.

I remember seeing some animated Superman episodes from the early 1940s by Max Fleischer (just to mention an earlier example) and, instead, I was blown away, Cutting costs killed the quality of animations later and I'm surprised how the art of animation decayed between early/mid 20th century and the introduction of CGI techniques in the 21st century.

However the stories of ST:TAS were incredibly intriguing, mature and well told (despite the short 20-minute duration of each episode) and could as well have served as a template for possible live action episodes that were never made. All in all, a worthy effort, and an important addition for the Star Trek family.
Flag
The animated part of the animation was atrocious, true. But the scenery paintings were often beautiful. The long-distant shot of ShiKahr as Spock approaches it in "Yesteryear," to note just one example.

Or from "Albatross":

Or from... hmm, not sure. "Eye of the Beholder," maybe?

Then there were the ships, which were things of beauty. From "Beyond the Farthest Star":

"The Pirates of Orion":

And "The Counter-Clock Incident":

Flag
Yes, you are right. Those scenery paintings are truly memorable.
Flag
Great, a legend of american animation (I mean before Anime invasion started) dies, and the first 5 comments on the news are spam. TV.com, please do something about the “just work a few hours” spam!
R.I.P. Lou, you don’t deserve this spam treatment!
Flag
I know that I hit flag when I see them if I am not going to post. I feel it is my duty to flag them as soon as I see them and I believe all the regular members should and probably do as well. Hopefully, self policing will work to let tv.com know when someone is spamming.
Flag
Staff has been working throughout the weekend to remove spammed material. I thank them for that. It's Development who isn't using a few obvious tools to slow down the problem, that is the issue.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members