Star Trek

Elaan of Troyius

Aired Unknown Dec 20, 1968 on NBC

7.3
  • Kirk makes a girl cry, and steals her necklace

There really isn’t too much to say about this one. Nothing terrible or brilliant. I would say whoever played the part of Elaan did a great job. We loathed her in the first half and she really didn’t do a bad job of trying to make us see her sensitive side in the second half, even if it was all a plan to get Kirk to touch her tears. Also, this is another fine example of Gene Roddenberry’s wonderful efforts in making aliens look so interesting and different. And I’m not only talking about Elaan, but Petri as well.
  • Similar in concept to 2nd. season classic 'Journey to Babel'

6.1
    Similarities between this episode and 'Journey to Babel'. 1) Kirk must transport delegates/representatives of civiliations at odds with each other. a) In Journey to Babel (JTB), the delegates are passionately divided over whether or not to admit Coridan to the Federation. b) In Elaan of Troyius (EOT), the Elasians and Troyians are at war. 2) Acts of violence on board the ship mar the journey to the ship's destination. a) In JTB, the Tellarite ambassador angrily lunges out at Sarek during an argument. The ambassador is later found murdered. Attempted murder occurs when the Orion disguised as an Andorian attempts to murder Kirk. b) In EOT, Elaan stabs the Troyian ambassador in a heat of rage. Elaan's bodyguard Kryton strangles Engineer Watson in the Engineering room while performing his sabotage. 3) The Enterprise is stalked by a mysterious vessel. a) In JTB, it is the mysterious high speed vessel cloaked against sensor probes shadowing the Enterprise. b) In EOT, it is the 'sensor ghost' later revealed to be a Klingon ship when the 'ghost' materializes( quite possibly the Klingon ship may have been equipped with the Romulan supplied cloaking device when it appeared as a sensor ghost to the Enterprise's sensors -reference episode 'The Enterprise Incident' in which it is apparent the Klingons and Romulans have exchanged military technology). 4) Acts of covert communication occur from inside the Enterprise to the mysterious vessel. a) In JTB, the Orion spy is in communication with the Orion vessel. b) IN EOT, Kryton uses a Klingon communicator to inform the Klingon vessel that he has sabotaged the Enterprise's warp engines. 5) During battle with the mysterious vessel, the Enterprise suffers a disadvantage in speed. a) In JTB, the Orion vessel is too fast and maneuverable for the Enterprise to score a phaser hit on, moving at speeds of up to Warp 10. b) In EOT, the Enterprise's warp engines are sabotaged with the rigged explosive device, making it impossible for the Enterprise to evade the Klingon ship's fire. 6) During the battle, Kirk has to cope with his own physical condition. a) In JTB, he is coping with the injury from the Orion spy's attack.
    b) In EOT, he is coping with the effects of the Elasian's love tears clouding his concentration. 7) Kirk prevails over the enemy ship with his 'playing possum' strategy. a) In JTB, he shuts down power on the Enterprise to lure the Orion ship into phaser range.
    b) In EOT, he decides not to increase power to the weakened shields so that the Klingon ship will move in closer for the Enterprise to fire on it and disable it.
  • The Enterprise escorts a spoiled alien princess to her wedding to seal an interplanetary alliance, but she becomes attracted to Kirk.

The episode title is a play on "Helen of Troy", and the episode is Star Trek's homage to "Taming of the Shrew". It is the only Star Trek episode that was written and directed by the same person (John Meredyth Lucas). Guest star France Nuyen plays the part of the spoiled Princess well, and she creates a nice arc with the character. Shatner does his normal Jim Kirk thing, we're he treats the woman like she's six, and she somehow falls in love with our charming Captain. All in all, the episode is what it is, neither memorable nor dismal. It's probably most notable for introducing the Klingon Battle Cruiser, the prototypical Klingon ship that now belongs to the Smithsonian Institution.
  • The Enterprise escorts a spoiled princess to her unwanted marriage, which will bring peace to a warring star system. But the demanding woman becomes attracted to Captain Kirk. One of the Original Series' weakest episodes...

Just as I am surprised that a couple of episodes that I really enjoyed are rated so low, I am surprised that "Elaan of Troyius" isn't generally held in lower regard. In my opinion, it is one of the weakest and dullest episodes of the entire Original Series.

The plot reminds me of the type that we would often see from 'The Next Generation' onwards - entirely ship-bound, and not all that much of interest happens. The fact that it comes from the Original Series, which was usually more adventurous with its settings, makes it seem even weaker.

I couldn't care less about spoiled princess Elaan, and found that the episode really dragged. And ... would you believe it ... she falls for Captain Kirk. Well there's a plot twist that we've never seen before(!)
    The Klingon b-plot does nothing to even things up, and I found the solution, involving Elaan's necklace of all things, to be over-convenient and unconvincing.

Not much more to say on this one. It defiantly ranks in my Top (or should that be Bottom?) Five least favourite episodes of the series. This is another one that I'd say, for the completists, sit through it once to say you've seen it, and then move on.
  • Intrigue, space combat plus wardrobe galore for a petulent princess.

One of Star Trek's better outings, it is certain that I will remember Elaan of Troyius for the costume design. There's the scene where we first meet Elaan, the camera pans up so we can fully enjoy the remarkable uniform Elaan wears. Then there's the purple casual ensemble which she wears in quarters, which evokes thoughts of spanking for Kirk. Then Elaan goes topless (well, with pasties) on the engineering deck. Last, and least, is the shapeless magenta gown. Overall, Elaan is more stimulating than Shawna in her platinum bikini (Gamesters of Triskelion).

Incidentally we have intrigue, sabotage and space combat. Good incidental music in the latter scenes. One of the top ten episodes, I'd say.

jHh