Star Trek

For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

Aired Unknown Nov 08, 1968 on NBC

• The Enterprise discovers an asteroid is a spaceship with a population unaware of the outside world. Meanwhile, Dr. McCoy discovers he's terminally ill.

DeForest Kelley gives his best performance of the series in a touching show that blends an interesting science fiction concept with the age old issues of life, sickness, and death. Of all the Trek actors of any incarnation, Kelley could probably be cited as having the least to do with the most talent; here's a chance for him to shine, and not just as a member of the "trio" but on his own. Kate Woodville stars as the alien girl Natira, and she's given a gorgeous costume to wear. John Lormer, who appeared in Star Trek's original pilot, has a gem of a scene as an old man who remembers touching the sky (with music from that pilot tracked in.)
  • Dr. McCoy confides to Captain Kirk that he is terminally ill and has a year to live. At the same time, the Enterprise crew try to stop an asteroid from colliding with an inhabited planet, only to find the asteroid is actually a spaceship. A so-so episode.

My review for this episode will be a bit shorter than most of my reviews, as I just don't have much to say about this instalment.

The story definitely belongs to Dr. McCoy, and after playing second (or should that be third?) fiddle to Kirk and Spock in so many episodes, it is good to see him get a plot based more around him for a change.

The story also has more depth to it than many of the shallow third season offerings, with McCoy's illness, and his decision whether to stay on the asteroid-come-spaceship as Yonada's mate.
    However, I just couldn't really get into this one. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for it (and the fact that my DVD was damaged, causing the episode to keep jumping, didn't help (I'm trying to get a replacement)), but I just couldn't get fully immersed in it as much as I could with episodes from the first two seasons.

Probably one of the third season's slightly better efforts, but not one of my favourites.
  • An alien priestess takes ten minutes to fall in love with and wants to marry one of the Enterprise landing crew. And get this, it’s not Kirk but... are you ready? Dr. McCoy! Didja ever?

If there was a fourth season, it would have made a great "part two" of this when McCoy visited the Fabrini when it landed. I feel sorry for that guy who keeps dying in an unjust way. Didn't the old man who spoke the episode's title also die innocently in "The return of the Archons"? The poor guy was just trying to obey the will of Landru and in this one he was just trying to see what was going on with his planet... er, spaceship.
  • This might not be one of my favourite episodes yet it is entertaining all the same. Worth a watch(or re-watch!)

Dr McCoy finds out he is dying with only a year to live, no wonder his head is turned by a beautiful high preastess who seems to fall in love with him at first sight. This a rare episode to centre around the doctor, I particularly enjoyed Nurse Chappels emotional reaction to McCoy's illness. Another highlight must be the performance of the "old man" who delivered the "for the world is hollow" line. Luckily Spock finds a cure and the Doctor is saved at the end of the episode. (phew!)
  • A good one for Dr. McCoy. Kate Woodville is lovely. A haunting episode.

This probably isn\'t the best Trek episode Ever, but it\'s my personal favorite. When I first saw this episode as a child, the concept was intriguing -- a city inside of a spaceship disguised as an asteroid, whose inhabitants believed they were were living on ( or in ) a planet. Dr. McCoy gets a lot of air-time in this episode, and there weren\'t many which revolved around him, sadly, as he is my favorite ST character. He has a beautiful romance in this episode, and Patrick McNee\'s ex-wife Kate Woodville is lovely. Her gown and hair are inspired. The plot is fairly basic and some of the elements had been seen in previous episodes, but the old man\'s recount of his experience in the mountains when he utters the title phrase is haunting. This is an eerie and sensitive episode.